HMB Endeavour by Blacky - OcCre - 1:54 - First wooden ship build

Today's update. I am trying to make everything as clean as possible. Someone recommended me to use warm water to bend wooden planks and i must say it works perfectly, and with a little help of hair dryer to speed up the process. Somehow I managed to mess up plank order on the deck. I hope when the deck gets crowded with other stuff it won't be noticeable. As for nails, i drilled a little bit through the varnish with 0,75 mm drill and used pen to shade it black. Overall i am pleased how it all looks so far considering this is my learning model.

WP_20180625_23_13_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20180625_23_12_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20180625_23_12_14_Pro.jpg

Hi Blacky,

Although still working on the hull, you are probably at the point of considering on what your model is going to look like when finished.

Whilst some timbers are left clear varnish/lacquer, other may be painted blue, yellow, red or black seem to be the most common for the Endeavour.  

For my Endeavour:

I stained the underside of the hull to waterline, applying a coat of clear lacquer.

It is great to show off one's workmanship and leave some items timber grain/color, maybe with a touch of paint.

Some timbers painted black, as long as the grain is tight, comes out looking nice.

Some doesn't matter as they are painted over with a scheme of colors.

I purchased extra timber strips to make a lot if items as they wore not provided in my kit.

For inspiration.

Have a look at other Endeavour's on the site, see what finishes have been used.

Hope you don't mind my rambling on.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Not at all. I appreciate all the info I can get. Regarding coloring the wood, I just checked the manual and it says use color dye. So I am gonna need recommendations for wood stains. I'll need ebony, walnut, and oak. I found that people are recommending Admiralty wood stains. The price is ok, about 6 euros per bottle but the postage England to Croatia is 60 euros which is just absurd. 

Greetings from sunny Croatia. I am enjoying my time on a vacation. A bit of modeling, a bit of swimming, and quality time with my future wife. As you can see planking is going well. I have few errors on the stern side but will fix that once i finish first layer. 

WP_20180701_16_23_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20180701_16_23_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20180701_10_22_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180701_17_40_51_Pro.jpg

Hi Blacky,

I can see the planks appear not to have any tapering in them ! Being the first layer, not really have to be. However in my opinion by staggering and running the planks bow to stern, the model will get a nice even hull shape. 

A couple of articles for interest I gathered, explain the planking techniques used if you wish to have a read whilst on holidays.

The "Bluff Bow Planking" is actually an article based on the build of the Australian replica of the HMB Endeavour.

The others, a general how to plank.

My Endeavour was the first time I had planked a hull. So I used the first layer as a trial run, before the second planking layer.

Lining Off your hull for planking.pdf

Planking Project Beginners.pdf

Bluff Bow Planking.pdf

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Blacky,

Their is a saying the final paint job is only as good as the preparation underneath.

So my suggestions are:

- Check the hull is fair, all even curves

- no dips as these will show up on the final skin

- fill any dips, sand any highs if enough "meat" to fair it out

- plan out how you are going to lay the planks from bow to stern. Lining out the widths and where you are going to show the joins

- their is a lot of tapering of planks, dropped strakes(planks at bow) and new ones to add in(Steelers, usually aft)

- do not force a plank into place, each should lay in the space

- bevel at least one(1) edge(top) so no gap exists when they laid down

Confused, ? i was, but plenty of reading, prep. will help and get you their.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

It's been a while since my last post. I've got 1 month till my wedding day and also 1 month to release our newest game (in case I didn't mention I am a game developer). Didn't have much time to work on my model. Also, I found that is not easy to plank the second layer. I have decided to make my own pattern and to learn in the process for my next projects. I will paint it in blue/yellow/white combination like on real-life replica.

WP_20180807_07_48_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20180807_07_49_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180807_07_50_00_Pro.jpg

Hi Blacky,

Looks pretty dam good that 2nd planking.  A sand should bring it up nicely.

Looks like you will glue the Wales over this layer ?

Not sure for the OcCre Kit, the channels on my Corel kit(not that it was that great for details) and AoTS show a thicker timbers, the same depth as the channels, in line for the 3 x channels per side. How you going to attach them ?

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, it's been a while. I had very interesting last two months so I didn't have much time to work on my model. My team and I finished our second game and had a fantastic release month on Steam, and more important I got married. 

Now back on the topic. I have finished the second layer planking and added wales. Added two layers of varnish and started painting. 

As you can see on the pictures, problems started with painting white color. The gaps are just too visible, and the paint I use is not thick enough. I used Ammo of Mig acrylic white. What do you suggest I should do? Fill the gaps with putty and repaint the lower hull. What color do you use? Do you use a paintbrush as I did or do you paint it with a brush?

WP_20180929_17_38_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20180929_17_39_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_21_47_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_21_48_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_21_49_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_21_45_39_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New update, fixed hull gap problem. I decided to go with all 5 windows even if it's not historically accurate. Occre kit is not accurate by default so I will go with my own vision. Last two pictures are blurry because there wasn't enough light when taking pictures with my phone.

WP_20181014_10_55_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20181014_10_56_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20181018_01_14_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20181018_01_15_50_Pro.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looking good Blacky!

Cheers.............Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

• 6 months later...

After very busy year I am finally on my vacation and my hobby can continue. I did couple of small parts for the main deck. Turn out quite nice. My skills are improving little by little. I am having a dilema. Should I leave them as they are, or paint em in red and black. 

IMG_20190724_123720.jpg

IMG_20190724_123818.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, Blacky said:

New update, fixed hull gap problem. I decided to go with all 5 windows even if it's not historically accurate. Occre kit is not accurate by default so I will go with my own vision. Last two pictures are blurry because there wasn't enough light when taking pictures with my phone.

WP_20181014_10_55_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20181014_10_56_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20181018_01_14_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20181018_01_15_50_Pro.jpg

Hi Blacky,

I’m glad you fixed your hull problem, did you go with filler in the end or use a thin strake. I’m loving the colours your using; How many coats of white did you use in the end on the lower hull. This ship is lovely and this kit is going to be on my wish list. I definitely want to build the Occre version, as I like the larger scale. I’m looking forward to your next update. 
Kind regards 

Glenn 😀