Main mast stay block

Hi guys. I seek someone’s expertise again...:rolleyes:

I am at the point in my build where I am trying to get in early and attach all future standing and running rigging blocks before I make the job harder when shrouds and stays are in the way...

This is the best illustration in my instructions that I can find that will illustrate the proble I am having. It is the fore mast. My particular query is in regards to block 288 on the instructions.8D00D0B7-3D89-41D9-9363-5B8D2DC3FF5D.thumb.jpeg.87dd52d0a329b2aca540ae372563c9c0.jpegafter many hour of research and going through books and build logs I tentatively say “I think I have figured out” that block 288 runs down to the port side of the fore mast, attaches to another block and then continues directly downwards and the belays to the deck at the base of the mast (on the port side)  The instructions are vague/nonexistent on confirmation. 

So my question is, if all my assumptions are correct then does the rope head directly down and directly behind the main mast here (in the white circle) in which case I’ll have to do some serious modifications to the top.

Or does the line simply pass down to the port side? (blue arrow) all the pictures I’ve seen of the main mast stay block have it pointing directly aft. So if it does pass to the port side I imagine there would be some rubbing and chafing...I don’t know. 7526B505-4466-448D-A072-8D416E4989D7.thumb.png.7bc5038abbaa8b59eaf3d298827f2cd3.pngIf anyone could help me id appreciate it...I have the book “anatomy of the Bounty” but it’s illustrations of rigging are so small scale I can see what’s going on. If I haven’t explained myself and my question properly please let me know so I can better explain it...

Hi Vinnie, I cannot be positive here as Bounty was smaller than Endeavour, but it looks like this is the lead block (288) for the Maintopmast preventer stay.  The stay led through this block down to the deck as you have surmised.  In Endeavour, this indeed di pass down through the lubbers hole to the port side and had a sister block turned into the tail end.  The sister block is  shaped a bit like a violin body with two single sheaves within one over the other with the larger sheave to the top.  This allowed another single sheave block, rigged with a hook that was attached to an eyebolt  in the deck to the port aft side of the foremast, to be rigged  to form the main topmast preventer stay tackle which was used to tension the preventer stay.  The Main stay was rigged in similar fashion with the lead block on the foremast under the top (at the start of the cheeks/hound) and led down to an eyebolt  on the deck to the stbd aft side of the mast.  The tail or running end of the tackle was usually secured back onto the tackle proper once tensioned.

A similar arrangement existed for the mizzen stay and preventer stay with the blocks attached on the mainmast.

Hope that helps a bit?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks a million pat! Well described....That certainly makes me feel better about proceeding...

And yes! I have been occasionally looking at some Endeavor builds for reference...I have noticed many similarities in the rigging...I’ll have a closer look at some Endeavor builds also and hopefully find some good pictures of what is going on with main top mast and main top mast preventer stay...