17th Century Battle Station by DocBlake - HMS Mordaunt - 1:32 - FINISHED

I finished planking the upper deck, installed the hatch coamings and the upper hatch and finished off the shot racks.  The upper deck is just sitting in place.  It won't be installed until the guns and details on the lower deck are complete.  It is tight in there!  The 2 hanging knees at the ends will be glued in place once the upper deck is in place.  Next is the guns.

Img_0242.jpg

Img_0244.jpg

Img_0246.jpg

Img_0248.jpg

Img_0249.jpg

Img_0252.jpg

Img_0253.jpg

Img_0254.jpg

Outstanding workmanship!  Really good looking model.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks guys, and thanks for the "likes""!

I spent yesterday assembling the main parts of the gun carriages.  One of us noticed a problem with the fit of the quoins and getting proper elevation of the gun's barrel.  I'll make a mockup of the stool bed and alter it such that the quoin fits.

The carriages are boxwood and the wreath is yellowheart.  I used a pencil to darken the recesses of the wreath to give more of a "3-D" effect.

Img_0255.jpg

Really like the wreath.  Great carving; it would look good even without the pencil. 

Cheers

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

I'm working on my cannons. I've posted Jeff Staudt's plans for the carriages and you notice that there are two rings attached to the brackets. One is for the breeching line and the other is to hook on the gun carriage tackle . I can't find another example of guns being rigged like that. I think I'l just eliminate the aft-most ring, and orient the eyebolt horizontally, like it's done on virtually every other carriage I've seen.

staudt gun.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Hi Dave - 

Very nice work on the wreath.  I like the added shadow lines.  They should make it 'pop' when viewed with anything less than a macro lens.

Yes, removing the ring would be better with this style of carriage.  The train tackle hooks directly into the eyebolt.

Aviaamator - do you know the English translation of the underlined text for the spout detail in the drawing you posted?  I have never seen that particular detail.  My French is not up to the task.  Thanks.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

On 8/25/2018 at 11:10 AM, aviaamator said:

PISSOTIERE.JPG

Petite Manche en toile de la pissotiere: Basically" Small tube of fabric, used to pee". A "Pissotiere" in French (slang) is a device or a place to urinate.

Was that for the mates or to eliminate any water that may have flushed the inside decks? I let you decide.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

I assembled all the carriages.  I did make some modifications.  I lowered the stool bed and it's support so that the quoins would fit properly.  I also made new transoms that extend down to the carriage base, for ease of construction.  Here's some shots of one of the long cannons with one coat of poly on it.  No cap squares yet!

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Those Barrels look real nice blackened, I may have made a mistake on mine now looking at yours. Well done!!

That is a nice colour, is it Testors gun metal? It sure looks great, I never had luck with blackening, the reason I left mine plain☹️ 

Hey Don!

i used Jax Black for brass, copper bronze.  First degrease with acetone, then etch with muriatic acid.  The blackening is weird.  If you leave the part in the bath too long, all the blackening rubs off.  Best 1 minute at a time, and repeat 2or 3 times to get the color you want.

Yves - 

Thanks for the translation.  There is a similar fixture on English ships of the period called a 'pissdale'.  I think I have seen drawings of one on HMS Victory in the book by Longridge. 

I had never seen one directly below a gun barrel, but I suppose it makes sense since that space would not be used for anything else, and you wouldn't want the gunners leaving their post or wetting themselves.

Be well

Dan 

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Aviaamator is correct. It allowed rainwater or water from wave action to drain out of the gunport recess. Thus helping to prevent rot. Pissdales are a totally different fitting on the inside of the bulwarks around the upper deck. A little forward or aft of the waist.

Dave :dancetl6:

Except for the gun port lids all the parts have been fabricated.  Obviously the upper bulwark planking is not yet installed.  Now the model has to be assembled.  The gun deck must be completed before the upper deck is installed because of the tight quarters below.  Rigging the guns would be impossible.  Here's a preview of the model

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a4.JPG

a5.JPG

a6.JPG

Thanks Richard!

Don Robinson, one of my collaborators on this project actually produced the barrels as well as the cannons and metal work.  I've used the same technique as Don did to produce barrels and cannon barrels I've made out of wood.  For the barrels, settle on a barrel shape and turn them on a lathe.  Where the hoops are located, score   shallow grooves, also on the lathe.  When the barrels are separated take some black thread or rigging line of an appropriate diameter, dip it in glue and run it in the grooves on the barrel.  When dry, cut off the excess.  If you need wider hoops, do 2 or 3 windings, with the thread laid tightly together, side by side.  Actually pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like your workmanship. 

I have a question - When blackening the gun barrels, how long do you leave the barrels in the acetone and muriatic acid?

Don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks.  Keep up the good workmanship.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Dave,

Just discovered your superb project - went through your build log -- Awesome work indeed !!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

WOW

What a lovely piece or work, so looking forward to the next update,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat