HMS Trincomalee by Ahoy_there (Lin) - scale 1:72

I've been a member for a few years and followed many builds but not posted any of my own. So far I've built the Constructo USS Albatros and USS Enterprise but wanted to do a scratch built ship. After a lot of wondering which ship to build I decided on HMS Trincomalee. I started the hull and wanted to go and see the real ship in Hartlepool. I was in awe at the size of it. Took loads of pictures for reference and came home oozing with enthusiasm and raring to get on with it. I started this build in May 2017 and pleased to show you all how much I've done so far. I've just spent the last 3 months on and off coppering the hull (it is the most tedious job I've ever done). Finally finished putting just under 2000 tiles on a couple of days ago and because I was impatient to see what it would look like I painted the hull today. Next job is to build the front up :)

78.jpg

75.jpg

77.jpg

Hello Lin

Looking forward to watching your progress. So far your construction, painting, and plating look superb to me.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Lin,

Lookin good, I’ll tag along, I’m also building the Trincomalee on and off for 10 years now, at 1:64 scale.  Someday I’ll get around to posting som pics. Good luck at your rate of progress she will be in the water decades ahead of mine 🙂

If you need any help with plans or photographs let me know I’ve got most things covered, and if I get stuck I’m only 10 minutes walk from the ship herself.

Gart

That is an ambitious first scratch build Lin! Looks like you are making an excellent job of her so far. And - ahem - the front is called the bow.

Welcome aboard!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Your first scratch build is certainly daunting but I looks great.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 hours ago, druxey said:

That is an ambitious first scratch build Lin! Looks like you are making an excellent job of her so far. And - ahem - the front is called the bow.

Welcome aboard!

Sorry still on land lubbers terms lol but thanks for all the comments so far :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

However I really need peoples help and suggestions now. I'm trying to do the figurehead. Now...I kinda get the feeling that I'm not doing something correctly 🤔. I've never tried to sculpt a figurehead before so don't know what to do it in (Ideally I'd like to do it in wood as it should be). I can hear you all having a giggle I know I have but any suggestions will be very gratefully received 😊 Oh this is my first attempt 😊

92.jpg

Nice looking work Lin.

Your work is so clean looking that the model almost looks like a well made plastic kit.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hints on carving:

1) I like to make a Plasticene model of the carving first (at a larger size). That way I can figure out the problems before actually trying to carve.

2) Keep the carving on the end of a long stick to hold or put in the vise until it is done. For a figure I cut the slot and glue in a 'handle'. If you use white glue, you can free the finished figure using rubbing alcohol. Saves accidentally carving your fingers!

3) Study photos of figureheads and sculptures. One learns a lot by looking at what others have done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi, Lin. The Trincomalee is a very worthwhile model to make and you're doing a very good job on her. I've always wanted to do one of HMS Shannon, which was pretty much a sister ship of the Trincomalee. Just a question - did you have already existing plans to work from or did you draft them yourself?

I don't consider myself an expert carver (there are much better ones on this forum alone), but you might like to look at page 7 of my own build log

(near the bottom of the page) going from blocks of wood to finished figures. I use pear wood as it has a nice tight grain. 

I concur with Druxey's points: 

*Making a plasticiene test piece works very well, particularly with a difficultly shaped figure. I cut a rectangular section block of wood to start with, so I can draw on all four faces if I need to.

*I make the block about twice the length of the figure so I have something to hold onto while I'm carving. This is a variant on Druxey's idea but works the same.

I cut the piece roughly to shape with a coping saw, then remove unwanted wood with a Stanley knife, then for fine detail move on to a scalpel with a No. 11 blade (you can buy them from some chemists or medical suppliers, along with the proper scalpel handle) - I don't like the "craft knives with a similar blade - I find the blade always seems to come unscrewed at the worst possible moment. 

I cut away in "layers" - leaving the highest profile bits in place and cutting away deeper and deeper as appropriate to the specific part of the figure.

The absence of bloodstains on the figure indicates you're probably already careful with sharp blades, but care is vital. 

Also use Youtube. There are some very good videos out there which are well worth watching.

Have fun with it.

Steven  

Edited by Louie da fly

Ahoy there Lin!

I'll be following your progress with this build. Like you, I visited the ship last year and I was also surprised at the dimensions since this is "just" a frigate. My wife was just going to 'do' Asda while I was on the ship but she decided to come on board for a 'quick look'. She was very surprised at how much she enjoyed her extended visit and was very pleased she had done so.

Although the Trincomalee isn't the ship I'm building, I was keen to get some photos of the rigging as I was close to starting the rigging on my ship at the time . . . and I'm nowhere near finishing it yet!

(Didn't you make a comment like "everything is going slowly at the moment"!)

Right now I'm at the figurehead stage as well and to enable me to work on it, I left a sizeable 'chunk' on the bottom. I made a 'through slot' in it and also made a dummy beakhead so that I could slip it on there while trying to pretend that I can do some carving!

The picture below should show the extra bit before it is finally trimmed to its proper size >>>IMG_20180903_153617.thumb.jpg.dd158b6f157f95f6f538111d5c91116d.jpg

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Lovely model Lin and great execution, shame you haven't shared progress up to now!  Will certainly be following you from here on, great subject matter.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

So you've all seen my first attempt of the figurehead and we've all had a chuckle at the jelly baby figure (well I have lol). My partner suggested I use a plastic figure and reshape it with filler...I tried it (not going to post pics of it coz it's plastic lol) but I wanted to have a real good go at carving from wood. So....this is my first attempt at carving. I laminated 3 pieces together and drew the profile freehand  and away I went. This is the progress so far

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

You've got a better start than my first attempt, Lin.  Go for it!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, Ahoy_there said:

Louie Da Fly...I haven't got any plans for this build. All the work I've done so far is from photos I've found on the internet and photos of the ship when I went to see it last year 😊

Well, I'm even more impressed. You've produced a beautiful model without the benefit of formal plans. My hat's off to you.

Your figurehead is looking good, too. You've made a good beginning - keep at it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy-there

Well there you go. I did not know anybody was building the Trincomalee. The question as been asked many times “Is there a kit for the  trincomalee ? “.  If there was one I am sure there would be a lot build logs for it.

the quality of your work is excellent, So this is a must follow build for me. Like Gart ( Morgan)  I live a twenty minute 

Walk from her, and pass her most days of the week. We have had a severe gale today and here she is swaying in the wind.  Best wishes, keep up the good work. DAVID

0898F2F8-FC5E-4734-A5E5-BC14FA4FB18F.jpeg

68116209-F66B-4695-8BF7-291D91E2681A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 11:21 AM, Shipyard sid said:

Ahoy- there !

Have you thought about sculpey for the making the figure head, or are you determined to carve it ? DAVID

Hi David I want to have a real good go at carving it...just to be able to say I tried it and succeeded. Lin

• 9 months later...

Hi fellow model makers it's been a very long time since I last posted. I got side tracked by another model because of doing a show at Bovingdon Tank Museum. I was also putting off what I thought was going to be really difficult. In my last post I was just starting to sculpt my figurehead. Well it's 3/4 finished I just have to sculpt the swirly material part and attach it but I thought I'd show you all an up to date pic (plus my distraction)

20190704_172103.jpg

20190704_172110.jpg

20190426_172255.jpg

• 4 months later...