I hate making tree-nails. To me it is the most tedious job there is, but they look so good that I tree-nail everything. I tried using thorns from a locust tree but I did not think they looked as good. So I will sit today watching sports and pulling little pieces of bamboo through my draw plate. Making blocks or pieces for gun carriages can be repetitive, but in the end you get something to look at other than a thin piece of wood that is just skinnier than when you started. Oh well, the game is coming on so it is back to my draw plate. Thanks for listening. What do you hate?

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

1 hour ago, barkeater said:

I hate making tree-nails.

Then you are making them wrong. 

A couple years ago when I was more active in my local club, I would help man the ship modeling both at the County Faire.  One of my mates would demonstrate making treenails with a drawplate, making his length of 'nails' increasingly smaller.  As he got down to about 1MM and showed everybody his creation (ooooo ahhhhhh) I would chuck up a inch or 2 of bamboo in the ol' Dremel and whip at an inch of 1MM treenail in under  a minute with a piece of fine sand paper.:P

Good quality bamboo is strong for is size.  I use BBQ skewers, but you have to make sure you get good ones.  It takes some practice and is prone to burnngfingers if not careful, but they are great.  I use hem to affix small furniture items to the deck.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

21 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

I use hem to affix small furniture items to the deck.

Now that is something I had not considered. MUCH better than metal pins in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip Chuck

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

There's a couple of other ways for mass producing them. It all depends on scale of the ship and how visible you want then,

1) One way I'm seeing is to drill the holes and then fill the hole with wood putty of the color you want to use, matching or contrasting.  Let dry and then sand.

2) Another way is toothpicks.  stick them in the hole with small bit of glue.  When dry, cut the toothpick as close to the hull as you can get.  A light sanding is next.

3) Some just mark them on the plank with a pencil.

4) Have a look here also shows a different method for mass producing using a mill or drill press. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Then you are making them wrong. 

A couple years ago when I was more active in my local club, I would help man the ship modeling both at the County Faire.  One of my mates would demonstrate making treenails with a drawplate, making his length of 'nails' increasingly smaller.  As he got down to about 1MM and showed everybody his creation (ooooo ahhhhhh) I would chuck up a inch or 2 of bamboo in the ol' Dremel and whip at an inch of 1MM treenail in under  a minute with a piece of fine sand paper.:P

Good quality bamboo is strong for is size.  I use BBQ skewers, but you have to make sure you get good ones.  It takes some practice and is prone to burnngfingers if not careful, but they are great.  I use hem to affix small furniture items to the deck.

1 mm is easy with Byrnes draw plate but I have found that for a 1:64 scale model, 0.5 mm is more to scale. When drawing bamboo down to this size it I have found it does get tedious and fiddly. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I use a Byrnes draw plate. I work in 1/48 scale and go down to a 28 or 26 on the plate which I like the look of. I use a #72 drill bit and this is about .4mm. I don't think a Dremel would work for me at this scale since getting them uniform without breaking would be tough. I like wood tree-nails over the alternatives some of which I've tried. My comment was written with humor in mind. I've done thousands of tree-nails and knocked out a bunch today. It's just that when you are on your 10th or 11th piece, you have to be saying to yourself, "I hate tree-nails".

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

For light-colored treenails, I use the straws from a household corn broom available at most home goods stores.  I purchased a hand-held type at a dollar store and got enough straws to last a lifetime.  Each one is about 10 inches long and there are various diameters.  I pull them through a draw plate to get the exact size I need.  A couple of minutes work gives me about 20 or 25 10 inch lengths.

For dark treenails, I use the bristles from a palmyra brush or stable broom.  Same deal except the lengths are a lot shorter.

Both types give very strong, uniform treenails.

I dip in diluted white glue then cut them almost flush with little snips.  A bit of sanding when dry and it's done.

Terry

Long time ago I used mesquite thorns, which I got from a friend who had a ranch with thousands of those trees. The beauty of them is that they would fit the thinniest hole. I can't get them anymore, though. :(

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!