I'm just getting into model building.  I purchased the Bowdoin model from Blue Jacket about 15 years ago and am just now finding the time and inclination to work on it.  I've got the original paints (Floquil), but am finding I need some more colors to spruce up the details.  I was wondering what paints are everyone's favorite to use on wooden models and the britannia fittings?  I understand Floquil is out of business.  I don't mind spending money for quality paint!  This will be applied with brushes.  Thanks! 

I like Delta Ceramcoat.  It’s usually ready to use out of the bottle and works beautifully for larger models.  It coats well and is acrylic, which makes for easy clean up.  The only downside is when painting brass and some plastics, you must put some kind of sealant on your model first.  For smaller scale models, the Ceramcoat works well, but Vallejo Model Color paints just can’t be beat.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Admiralty Paints for me. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina