USS Missouri by Koppalakki - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - 1991 configuration with Pontos detail set

the hull looks awesome!..........nice job on the weathering  ;)    the bow also looks great too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but haven't had the time to take photos.

Still a lot of stuff going on!

So first I wasn't really happy with all the details on the Pontos set on the side walls. They were a bit flat and shallow so I added piping from styrene and brass to bring it more inline with all the rest of the details.

8EoHL0nh.jpg

r027XREh.jpg

On the aft a lot of weathering and details added.

First some filters with oils, then a dark wash and topped it off with pigments. I used light dust and rubbel dust.

First layer was done with pigments and white spirit. They were made into a thin wash and brushed onto details.

After drying they were blended in more with a dry brush. Then some additional pigments added dry with a brush.

Some small fixing needed on the fligh deck markings to be done.

SxP5gmsh.jpg

B769ep8h.jpg

6VCWH3Ah.jpg

MdLYM68h.jpg

37ETLmSh.jpg

v8sfpQXh.jpg

All the compliments are very well deserved. Outstanding work.

What was your single greatest source of photos for the Missouri? I never noticed the refueling details before now. They add a lot to the model.

I've been wondering, what, if any, are the differences between the Missouri and New Jersey modern vessels? I see where (Pontos?) offers a detail set for the New Jersey model as a Missouri. This leads me to wonder if the difference between the two models is only in the name and number?

42 minutes ago, CDW said:

All the compliments are very well deserved. Outstanding work.

What was your single greatest source of photos for the Missouri? I never noticed the refueling details before now. They add a lot to the model.

I've been wondering, what, if any, are the differences between the Missouri and New Jersey modern vessels? I see where (Pontos?) offers a detail set for the New Jersey model as a Missouri. This leads me to wonder if the difference between the two models is only in the name and number?

The Internet? 😜

I use a mix smash of photos from the museum and real photos during desert storm to cross reference.

All of the Iowa classes have different configuration on the aft deck and around the bridge. Hulls are the same but small differencies all around betweem the ships. Also the museum versions of the ship are completly different aswell, hence why I cross reference info between time frames.

Some finished 5" turrets.

GA1IdKsh.jpg

ycfx6zCh.jpg

TGbOO4yh.jpg

dGnSXfeh.jpg

I also made some home brew floaters in the baskets. The Tamiya one is pretty crude replication of them with a tarp on top of them.

Also wanted to depict them without the tarp on top of them. I made some "bedrolls" from masking tape varying in different sizes.

They were painted and placed in the baskets and added some arresting wires.

GMXUfvGh.jpg

QisLSDSh.jpg

o09dNVeh.jpg

The netting in the aft also recieved some arresting cables. I used infinis super fine (0.065 mm) brass rods for this.

Kf3oWIhh.jpg

And some overall shots. Started to add railings. I first painted them dark gray. After cutting out of the fret I modified them to match all the deck details and cut the bottom run away. Then stanchions were brush painted and glued down.

lppsSTKh.jpg

veiHCzTh.jpg

RVdVOhTh.jpg

nicely done...she looks great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

28 minutes ago, RGL said:

Yet again K, you make it look easy 

Wish we did.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

And finally some progress!

The first section of the forward superstructure is done. A lot of care and planing was needed to get everything lined up and seamless.

In the end the effort will pay off as usual! Some surgery was needed and a lot of piping etc. were scratch build with styrene.

p2NEsBth.jpg

tCS3D8kh.jpg

JvSlgheh.jpg

9wivSvsh.jpg

CYcWCVZh.jpg

Here's some progress on the bridge itself.

Had to get this out of the way, the window area needed a lot of work. First a lot of dry fitting was done, I came to the conclusion it was best to glue it first to the upper deck and get it sit there nicely first. After that it was just a matter of some CA and a lot of mr surfacer 500 applied with a brush to get rid of the seam. Mostly happy now as it wasn't easy as the joining part is just width of the PE so you have to be really careful while sanding it.

RC5hbCch.jpg

GNw8Rh9h.jpg

And just a bit to work still here.

fKPEF4th.jpg

right down to the wiring conduits....amazing  ;)    looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It just keeps on getting better, very well done sir

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

dynamic use of color.......very well done on the detail as well ;)    sweet!

the comment above was for the finished bridge........I forgot there was another page here :o   seeing it on the model is simply jaw dropping!   the ship is drop dead gorgeous! :imNotWorthy:

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Only small work on the Missouri this weekend.

I attended Nordic challenge model show today here in Finland. Last time I brought a model to a show was back in 2004 so it was long time due.

I brought my Uss James E Williams to the show and it was recieved amazingly well!

I placed 1st in ship class and also got named Best Ship, Best of Show and Best Model chosen by IPMS Finland.

About 350 models were in the contest (not many ships though 🤔) and the quality of all the models amazed me.

Standing proudly!

Y0yleMOh.jpg

More pics will prolly come up in the following days here!

http://www.pienoismallit.net/tapahtumat/2018/nordic-challenge/kuvat/