USS Missouri by Koppalakki - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - 1991 configuration with Pontos detail set

I thought so on the darker gray :)   I have been doing research on the U.S.S. Arizona.   most camo paint during that time was various grays.  it has been quite an effort to find out just what these battleships were painted in at the time of Pearl Harbor.   a recent claim is that they were painted in a Mediterranean blue, or a sea blue......but I just don't buy it.   there is a gray quality there.......looking at a forum site the other day confirms what I've been thinking.   they made a reference to a French dark blue gray #2105 , Model Master........there is also a French light blue gray #2109,  which looks more like it,  in my opinion.   Humbrol has a few colors that seem to work too,  but of course,  they have different names for them.

I just saw that color and it intrigued the heck out of me........I was going to try and mix paints as well.  but if I can find one that will work,  it will save the last few hairs on my head  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well I never really care about the colors too much. The way I paint consists of so many layers of shades that using a color match to a certain paint chip would be useless anyway. Also the scale and everything plays a factor. I just mostly make a shade of color that I find pleasing to my eye and go with that.

Not sure how many different deck gray colors were used on the Missouri in 1991 but here's a photo you can spot over 4 shades (could be just weathering effects etc.)

on different sections of the decks and turret tops. So I just look at photos and go with that!

https://i.redd.it/0p6oaz03vhzy.jpg

Edited by Koppalakki

even that color gray would be good.   I think one thing that has to be taken into consideration,  is fading and reflection from the water.  likely the reason why folks have the idea about the blue.   after my reply,  I was off again looking through paint colors.   I even mixed up some to try out......I took matt aircraft blue {billings} and mixed in some gunship gray {model master}.   it came out to a medium gray / intermediate blue.  good enough to use,  I think.

I do pretty much the same......I use photos for reference.  I have a folder full of 'em....mostly trawlers and fishing vessels.   I love wartime vessels,  but I just don't do enough of them.....not since I've gotten into wooden ships.   I usually come up with a paint scheme of my own and go with it.

your colors are spot on  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

JMHO but I think the untreated one looks closer to the picture of the real deck. Main battery keeps getting better, thanks for the ruler.

hjm

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

glad your not going to change this........I think it looks just right ;)   along with what Greg mentioned,  fading is also a factor.   not all parts age the same.   not only that,  you've still got the surrounding areas to weather.  once you do that,  it will look a whole lot better!   wonderful job your doing......

I could never achieve this kind of finish.......I'm too much of a clean freak!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Still finishing and getting the hull ready for some paint operations.

Here's some other small stuff which I have worked on the side.

Finished the aft Mk 38 director.

Pretty straight forward using the Pontos set. Only difference is that I used individual grab handles instead of ladders.

CMY4R65h.jpg

6T7GB3ph.jpg

bQbYUish.jpg

Some attention was given to the aft tomahawk platform.

First some antiskid surfaces were masked with tape then some surfacer 1000 with a brush dappled to give some texture and bring the areas more visible.

ibJ8lpih.jpg

A lot of lights were scratch build from styrene, wires and PE.

N0ARcI5h.jpg

6UlSeR8h.jpg

Bottom recieved some generic detailing with styrene and wires.

nDxQQ9Eh.jpg

I really need to get started on the painting though, but I'm a bit hesitating because I know it'll take me a good 30 hours of airbrushing the damn oil canning effect.

And it's boring :default_wallbash:

And the construction finished on the rear funnel!

Some additional details added, the booms will be added after painting because some decals needs to be placed behind them.

Funny how the angle of the photos distort the ladders and antennas making them look really crooked.

tcR22bbh.jpg

tcJOCKYh.jpg

oiID6fjh.jpg

TcXSynPh.jpg

KAkjekIh.jpg

FclWEnVh.jpg

hDsf8FYh.jpg

10 hours ago, cog said:

Marvelous, never thought of that!

Not easy if your hand painting like me.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Not easy if your hand painting like me.

OC

You could possibly do something similar with dry brushing with a small brush. Kind of like a woman doing makeup.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

OC

You could possibly do something similar with dry brushing with a small brush. Kind of like a woman doing makeup.

Yep,  I do dry brushing.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So some mail arrived!

Like I mentioned, this image made me order some infini launchers!

jskuSp3h.jpg

And some madness did I get!

The infini set is just unbelievable! Though it's not for the faintest of heart! One launcher is about 100 pieces of PE and the smallest ones are tiny. More like new level of tiny I ever encountered! This will put your dexterity and mental toughness to the test. I spent about 4 hour getting everything as best as I could, there's a few bits I'm not too happy about it but the set comes with 2 launchers so if I feel too unhappy about it I can always make a another one.

rwbTf77h.jpg

pMmXzR1h.jpg

6aQcZKvh.jpg

Egk1rLIh.jpg

gN35zxAh.jpg

3xdyosYh.jpg

That is a whole new level of detail! I can't even imagine what they look like in person, little pieces of jewelry!:stunned::omg: 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You might indeed see some (major?) difference ... you can always put that spot in the shade ... on the other hand if this one is open and the other three are closed you will probably get away with the difference, since they wouldn't look the same anyway ... different angle, other light fall, etc ... perhaps compare before glueing it down to it's spot?

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Can you use parts of the unused unit to enhance the closed veteran units? 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

lou you may have overlooked this bit:

The infini set is just unbelievable! Though it's not for the faintest of heart! One launcher is about 100 pieces of PE and the smallest ones are tiny. More like new level of tiny I ever encountered! This will put your dexterity and mental toughness to the test. I spent about 4 hour getting everything as best as I could, there's a few bits I'm not too happy about it but the set comes with 2 launchers so if I feel too unhappy about it I can always make a another one.

unfortunately, would have been a nice alternative though

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The outside details are pretty on par with each set. I actually put custom PE bits to the infi launchers to get them to look more like the veteran ones. The biggest difference is the infi launchers are a bit bigger than the veteran ones. It's hard to see as it will be open so it extends even further back.   

I'm replacing the 4th launcher on the aft platform (just like the reference photo) all else are closed. I doubt they had multiple launchers open while firing anyway.

10 hours ago, cog said:

but the set comes with 2 launchers

?????

I thought that was what I was referring to. Use the second unused Infi launcher as parts for the closed veteran launchers.

At any rate Koppalakki seems to think that the veteran units are as detailed as needed and that was not the issue he was referring to in his first post.

I guess I don't write all that clearly sometimes, especially when I try and condense it down to as few words as possible for me.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey