A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE MEMBERS OF MODEL SHIP WORLD

Seaways Ships in Scale Magazine Has Ceased Publication

The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is saddened to see Ships in Scale Magazine end its long and amazing tenure supporting our hobby of model ship building.  The loss of Ships in Scale has left a void for the beginning and intermediate ship modelers.   

In response to this news, the NRG Board of Directors has decided to make some changes to the Journal to offer former Ships in Scale subscribers somewhere to continue their journey into model ship building.  First, the Journal will be expanded to provide more room for ship modeling articles for modelers of all skill levels without diminishing our commitment to nautical research.  Secondly, one article started, but not completed, in Ships in Scale will be continued in the Journal to ensure that this valuable series is completed.  Installments of the article already published in Ships in Scale will be posted on the NRG website to allow non-SIS subscribers the opportunity to appreciate the entire series.

The Guild has also purchased the intellectual property of Seaways Publishing.  This means that CD sets for Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder will continue to be available as well as plans published by Seaways Publishing. 

The Guild is not purchasing Seaways Publishing or Ships in Scale.  We are simply attempting to fill the void left by their ceasing publication.  Any questions regarding Ships in Scale subscriptions must be directed to Seaways Publishing, not to the NRG.  Refunds for unfilled issues are being issued by Seaways'.

More thorough and detailed information will soon be posted on the NRG web site. 

The NRG Board of Directors

www.thenrg.org

CDW, Jack12477, Cathead and 9 others like this

Thanks for sharing this news. I admit to being unfamiliar with the magazine, but the NRG's decision to absorb/maintain its focus seems appropriate. I am very intrigued by the notion of expanding the scope and content of the NRJ. While I enjoy flipping through every issue, I have to say that most of its content is so esoteric or detailed as to be of limited use to an amateur modeler like myself. I'd love to see the NRJ cover a wider scope of modeling questions and look forward to how this might be implemented.

One question, how does this affect the cost and workload of putting together the NRJ? Adding more content inherently takes more resources, so how does that work from a staff and financial point of view?

Eric:

Thanks for your support. 

Over the years the Journal has always featured model building in addition to research topics.  However, with Model Ship Builder (the print magazine not the on-line forum) and Ships in Scale, now both out of business, publishing articles that were aimed at all levels of modeling but primarily the beginner to intermediate levels of model builders the Journal focused on the intermediate to advanced levels with limited coverage of beginner focused articles.  The Board determined that without MSB and SIS we must publish articles aimed of all levels of model building to serve our membership.  So, your wish is going to become reality.

Of course, nothing has changed in that we still need the content to be submitted.  We will be contacting authors from SIS to ask them to consider writing for the Journal.  Also, there are a lot of MSW members who I would like to see write articles for the Journal too. 

As to the cost of producing the Journal we have carefully considered all aspects of expanding the Journal.  We have the list of SIS subscribers who we will be contacting to offer them Journal subscriptions and we are confident that enough of them will sign on with the NRG that the increased numbers will offset the increased costs.  At a certain point printing more copies of a magazine makes each copy less expensive on a per copy basis.  Our Editorial and production costs will increase, but the corresponding increase in our subscription numbers will offset the costs.

I hope this adequately answered your questions Eric.

Kurt

Kurt it is obvious you and the board are committed to sustaining our pursuits. You are all to be commended for you work and wisdom. Thank you one and all.

Joe

Seventynet, Elijah, Canute and 8 others like this

Posted (edited)

I agree with Eric.  It is my opinion that the Journal “peaked” in the early 90’s.  With the notable exception of William Sproul’s articles about building various components many articles lack depth.  Another truly useful article jam packed with useful modelling info was Paul Fontenoy’s article about restoring a WWII LCVP.  Otherwise, too many articles are simply “I glued this to this, etc.” An example would be the series of articles about building a magnificent French Galley model.  While the article shows the model maker’s progress, there is virtually no discussion how the maker solved the various problems connected with building it.

I also find the new, shorter book reviews to be disappointing, and do not like subcontracting this service out to academics not otherwise affiliated with the Guild.  These reviews used to be done by knowledgeable Guild members and reading them was informative and often entertaining, and actually helped with the book buying decision.

Although I personally did not subscribe to Seaways Ships in Scale, I am sorry to see its demise.  Maybe this presents us with an opportunity to put more “meat on the bones” of the Journal so that it can once more become the go to document that it once was.

On the subject of cost, I personally would limit glossy covers and colors to provide more content.  We’re not competing for eye appeal on a news rack.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett
grsjax, Cathead, Canute and 5 others like this

I enjoyed SIS when I subscribed. The additional content in the NRG Journal will be great to see for those of us still looking for basic modeling articles. I love the journal as it is but always look for more how to beginner information. Thanks for taking on the extra work. Oh, and I'm very willing to pay more to offset the additional pages.

mtaylor, Cathead, Elijah and 5 others like this

I just returned from 11 days at our place in Door County and checked in to see what has happened in my absence.  While I was not pleased to find out that a magazine that I have been a subscriber to since 2000 is out of business, I guess that I can't say that I was totally surprised. 

Originally, SIS was published every other month.  Then they started experimenting with publishing every month with magazines at about half the size of the original.  That was a very short failed experiment.  Most recently they were publishing the magazine only four times per year.  Then there was a rumor that they went out of business.  At that point I was becoming very uneasy about their future.  That was when I decided to order their DVD sets of the 105 issues previous to 2000.  I guess that turned out to be a good decision.;)  I guess that this is just another reason for us to keep making donations to MSW to keep them viable.

helmsman, Altduck, mtaylor and 7 others like this

10 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

I guess that this is just another reason for us to keep making donations to MSW to keep them viable.

This!

Cannot stress this enough!

On 2018-07-09 at 9:22 AM, kurtvd19 said:

The Guild has also purchased the intellectual property of Seaways Publishing.  This means that CD sets for Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder will continue to be available as well as plans published by Seaways Publishing. 

I assume purchasing the CD material and plans also puts some strain on the Guild's cash flow.  I was considering buying the CD from SIS, but would now buy the CD if it would help the Guild.   I encourage other members (and non-members) to do so as well.

kurtvd19, mtaylor, tlevine and 3 others like this

Bruce:

Thanks for your support. 

The NRG is helped very much by sales from the store.  We could not have purchased these materials w/o the income from sales of our CDs, Shop Notes, etc from the store - nor could the purchase of MSW taken place for that matter.  Sales as well as conference attendance is what allows us to do the other things besides publish the Journal.

We will soon have possession of the CD's from Seaways.  It will be a bit before we get them onto our NRG store and we will be sure to let everybody know by posts to MSW when these materials are available.

Thanks again,

Kurt

Elijah, mtaylor, Cathead and 4 others like this

Kurt

A word of caution here concerning the various formats of these publications.  I originally ordered all of them in the flash drive version and had problems with them right off the bat.  I had my local computer wiz kid try to work with them only to find that the files were corrupted.  I called SIS and they were kind enough to send me the files on the DVD format.  Loading the files from the DVD's onto my computer took much longer than the flash drives did, but they are working as advertised.  I don't know if all their flash drives were affected as mine were, but I would be a little cautious about getting them in that format.

Dave

druxey, Cathead, lmagna and 3 others like this

Dave:

Thanks for the heads up.  We will be getting the master discs and will be burning discs and flash drives from them as we do for the Journal CDs and flash drives.  Each is opened on a different computer than they are burned on before I put them on the shelf.  Actually, until I get some spare time each is burned as we get an order - but all are checked before shipping. 

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt, 

I'm sorry to here about the magazine going away. I have many issues in physical form and purchased all of the CDs a few years back.  I continue to refer back to them all of the  time.  I'm so happy to here that the Guild has decided to fill the void and ensure the access to the CDs.  I'll be checking to see what I'm missing when you add them to the store.

Thanks!
Marc

We just posted a page on the NRG web site   https://www.thenrg.org/shipsinscale.php   with info on the NRG's purchase of the SIS assets with FAQ's that address the common questions we are getting.  The former SIS subscribers will be getting this link on the info sheet that will be inserted into their first issue. 

Kurt

Kurt, that page is nicely done. However, the FAQ regarding the eventual rise in shipping for the expanded NRJ prompts me to ask whether the NRG is still planning to roll out a digital edition of the journal. I for one would love to transition to that medium instead of shipping and storing paper. I realize there's a lot going on right now and do not intend to be pushy, just to vote for that process to keep moving forward when possible.

Eric:

A digital version is going to happen.  Just when is the big question as it's difficult to find info about subscription based magazine software or services.  It is actively being investigated.  I am just concerned that we are not big enough to do it.  It sure would help if we had 10% of the MSW membership sign on.:)

Kurt

thibaultron, mtaylor, Elijah and 1 other like this

Kurt; I don't know if this would help, but try contacting Joe Fugate, of Model Railroad Hobbyist (modelrailroadhobbyist.com). He has been producing a major digital model railroad magazine for several years. His mag is adverizer supported (free to public), but he may have good info, on the digital publishing aspects that might help you.

As far as the extra cost of digital subscriptions. You are already doing the paper version, and I'm sure that it is done on computers, so the digital version already exists, for you to send out

tlevine, mtaylor, lmagna and 2 others like this

Ron:

Thanks.  I am familiar with the publication and get it myself though no interest in model railroading they have great weathering articles and sources for cast parts, etc.  As you correctly noted we already have everything we need for the digital edition - we just have to find the correct software or service so we can make it all secure.  Our new NRG Director is a professional techie and he's investigating this for us.  I will share your post with him.

Thanks,

Kurt

Canute, Elijah, keelhauled and 1 other like this