So I masked off a part of the hull of the ship I want to paint, and applied primer, then paint. However, when I removed the making tape, I get a line of white primer visible on the edge. It's not because the primer seeped under the making tape, but because when the masking tape is removed, the cross section of the layering became visible.

The only way I can think to avoid this, is to not apply the primer all the way to the edge, but is there a better way?

Not sure I understand the problem correctly, but normally one would paint the lighter colour first, overlapping well the separation line to the darker colour - no masking at this stage. Then you mask off the area already painted and proceed with painting the darker colour. So there are no edges of under-paint exposed.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

Not sure I understand the problem correctly, but normally one would paint the lighter colour first, overlapping well the separation line to the darker colour - no masking at this stage. Then you mask off the area already painted and proceed with painting the darker colour. So there are no edges of under-paint exposed.

I'm painting just a single line a single color, not the entire ship. The rest is natural wood. The problem is the primer is showing.

Why do you prime ? For a single coloured line (boot-top ?) this is not normally needed, I would think. I suppose you would have applied some sanding sealer and varnish to the natural wood already ?

Instead of masking and painting, you may also think of a decal, to be sealed with varnish or not, depending on the kind of model.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Another alternative is to use either auto pin striping tape or tapes available from chartpak in the width you want.  I used chartpak tape for the waterline on the Bluenose II that I built 35 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was put on.  I used clear lacquer to coat the tape once installed.

As is typical, I responded half way through a thought and assumed you would know where I was.  Let me make myself clear on this.  I did not paint a waterline, I used tape instead of paint for the waterline.

002 (2016_10_16 17_34_19 UTC).JPG

Edited by bogeygolpher
Clarity

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

It sounds like the paint is pretty thick if you can see the primer under the paint and it isn't bleed.  The fix is to either remove all the paint and redo it or mask next to the line making the line a bit wider and then don't prime but add a layer of paint out to the tape.  Remove the tape and the previous edge should be hidden by the paint.  I think removal and starting over might make a better job of it.

Also, it sounds like the tape was pretty thick to allow a build up of primer and paint so the edge is able to be seen.  Never use hardware store masking tape - it is too sticky and the edges are not straight and smooth and it's real thick.  Use a good automotive or hobby masking tape.  Tamiya tape is good as is 3M Fine Line tape.  I have switched to FBS K-UTG Gold Crepe masking tape from Coast Airbrush (link below).  It is a very thin tape that isn't too sticky - sticky tape can lift underlying paints - and conforms well.  The thin tape doesn't let paint build up alongside it.    https://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FBS_K-UTG_Gold_Crepe_Masking_Tape

Hope this helps

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights