Hello from Illinois

Rob206

Hey everyone.  I was walking around a hobby shop yesterday looking for something to keep me busy. I've been looking for a hobby for years and after finding the wooden ship kits yesterday I can't stop watching YouTube videos in it. I'm completely intimidated though. I was looking at the San Francisco II Galleon S.XVI by Artesania Latina. Id like to start with a plank on bulk head model. I'm also wondering if I need a plank bender and other tools. The guy at my hobby shop only mentioned hobby knife , glue and sand paper. I would love some suggestions on a kit to start with that either includes tools I need or a model kit and maybe a link to a recommended tool kit. I've never attempted a wooden ship kit, so any other websites or essentials you want to share would be great.  I've been bookmarking websites as I find them. Thanks Rob 

I always recommend a beginner start off with a kit from Midwest Products. They're out of production now, but still plenty in circulation on eBay. They have a lot of things going for them:

1. cheap

2. nearly fool-proof designs

3. very thorough and detailed instructions

4. inexpensive

5. complete list of all tools needed

6. great introduction to working with wood

7. don't cost an arm and a leg

8. don't take a year to complete

9. look great when finished

10. you're only out a few bucks if you decide you don't like the hobby.

Did I mention that they're cheap? Try one -- you'll like it!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

After watching the YouTube videos by Gary B, I was thinking of ordering that bluenose from model expo along with their tool kit and possibly the paints. Not sure if I'd be starting off too complicated.

Also is 

HOW TO BUILD FIRST RATE SHIP MODELS FROM KITS

By Ben Lankford. 

Worth me ordering also?

Welcome Rob! It might seem a good idea to set yourself up with a comprehensive kit of tools, but I recommend just the few really obvious tools to begin with.  You can add other tools as you come to need them.  And on-line shopping helps in this regard. 

My current project is restoring a one metre long 3-masted square rigger (118 years old) and my most frequently used tool is a a pair of fine angle-tipped tweezers.  Often I find that it is neccessary also to make up suitable tools or jigs for specific jobs.  To me it is all part of the challenge.  My very best wishes for success in your modelling. Paul (Auckland NZ)

Rob:

That book by Lankford is good and useful.  Also look at Planking the Built-up Ship Model Jim Roberts (MSB113) at Model Expo.  Both books are must haves for beginners.

I can't recommend Model Expo's paints - very thick and the only paint that I have never been able to use in an airbrush - you can't thin the pigment size down.  Contact me at my regular email about paints.

Look at the various build logs here on the Bluenose to guide you as you go.  Also download the instruction book for it now and look it over.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, ikkypaul said:

Welcome Rob! It might seem a good idea to set yourself up with a comprehensive kit of tools, but I recommend just the few really obvious tools to begin with.  You can add other tools as you come to need them.  And on-line shopping helps in this regard. 

My current project is restoring a one metre long 3-masted square rigger (118 years old) and my most frequently used tool is a a pair of fine angle-tipped tweezers.  Often I find that it is neccessary also to make up suitable tools or jigs for specific jobs.  To me it is all part of the challenge.  My very best wishes for success in your modelling. Paul (Auckland NZ)

Thanks Paul. Do you think I need a plank bender and nail nailer?

Greetings

:722972270:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

19 hours ago, Rob206 said:

Thanks Paul. Do you think I need a plank bender and nail nailer?

Welcome to MSW.

Plank bending can be done with soaking or steaming the wood.  If soaking, use hot water.  Once pliable, clamp into plasce.

Nailer?  Depends if you leave the nails in place.  Some folks drill a small hole and then insert the nail (or better yet, wooden treenails) for the planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

23 hours ago, Rob206 said:

By Ben Lankford. 

Worth me ordering also?

That was one of my first reference books and still one of my favorites. :dancetl6:  Some of the more confusing details are explained so that a novice can understand them.  Another book that is also good for beginners is Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On 7/10/2018 at 4:30 PM, Rob206 said:

After watching the YouTube videos by Gary B, I was thinking of ordering that bluenose from model expo along with their tool kit and possibly the paints. Not sure if I'd be starting off too complicated.

Also is 

By Ben Lankford. 

Worth me ordering also?

A schooner is a good starter model.  The rig is relatively simple and everything is relatively easy to get to.  Model Expo makes really nice kits.  They are excellent to learn on.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Rob, I'll answer your question, but before I do I have to ask -- have you read the following pinned topic?

For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale

As for Bluenose vs. Mayflower, you're talking about a much simpler and easier to plank hull form for Bluenose and a vastly easier rig, also for Bluenose.

Allow me to toss out one further word of caution. I know that you have been looking at tool/model combo deals. When I started modeling, I bought a tool kit that supposedly had all the tools I needed in it. I ended up not using a lot of them. Or, after using them for a short while, I ended up buying (and in some cases making) something I liked better.

I'll double-down on my recommendation to try a Midwest kit. It will tell you exactly what tools you need (and you may find that you don't even need some of the recommended tools). My first two models were Midwest kits. Each took me about three weeks to complete, and I had a blast. The finished models still have a place of honor in my home.

Trust me -- start simple. Don't think of it as having to put off starting on a more challenging kit that you'd rather build -- think of it as a small investment of time and money that will significantly increase your chances of finishing that more challenging build.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I just ordered the Bluenose plus the 2 books from model expo.  I held off ordering any paints or tools. I did print the tool list out of instruction book and I think hobby lobby should have anything I need. And I figure I should have some time before I need any paint. I'll just need to get something to hold ship as I build and then a display base when it's finished. Very excited can't wait to start

That’s a good collection that you’ve got there.  The only addition that I would recommend is a handle for the razor saw.  It’ll make a huge difference when you have to make a large number of cuts.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

6 hours ago, ccoyle said:

For future reference, shop on-line for #11 blades in 100-packs. Much cheaper -- and you will go through them like candy!

The #11 scalpel blades on model expo will fit in an exacto knife correct? That's a great price too, 100 blades for 17$