SD-14 Cargo ship forward section by Kevin - 1/70 - CARD

•  
  •  

SD141.JPG

Sometimes known as the replacement for the famous "Liberty" ship, the 14,000 ton SD14 general cargo ships are found under many different names and flags in most of the world's ports and all of the high seas. The designation "SD14" denotes "Shelter Deck 14,000 tons". The shelter deck is the second or tween deck in the cargo spaces and, when the ship is loaded down to her plimsoll line, she displaces 14,000 tons.

By the mid 1960s, there remained some 700 Liberty and other war-built cargo ships still trading. Even the youngest were 20 years old and the question of a replacement was exercising the minds of ship owners and builders around the world. the emergence of bulk carriers and container ships pointed to the end of the "shelter Deck" design which had been used with little alteration since the turn of the century. Many felt that this design was no obsolete and that the future lay with containerisation.

It was, therefore, something of a surprise when ship builders all over the world unveiled their plans for the "liberty Ship Replacement", almost all of which offered a two-deck vessel of 14,000/15,000 tons deadweight. Doubtless this choice was influenced by the requirements of potential customers. Most of the war-built vessels were, by this time, being operated by Greek ship owners of limited resources to whom these new designs, for a type of vessel with which they were fully experienced and priced at about £1 million with cheap credit facilities, were very attractive.

A total of 30 designs were put forward as the "Liberty Ship Replacement" in the early months of 1966. Of these, the most successful was the SD14, developed by the Sunderland shipbuilders, Austin and Pickersgill. The first SD14 keel was laid on 8th. June 1967. Unusually, this was not at Austin and Pickersgill's own yard, but nearby at that of another Sunderland shipbuilder, Bartram's, who were building the ship under licence. The first ship, named Mimis N. Papalios, was launched on 1st. December 1967. She was also very nearly the first SD14 to be completed. However, Austin and Pickersgill managed to make up the leeway in their own building programme to hand over the first completed SD14, the Nicola, on 14th. February 1968, the Mimis N. Papalios following the next day.

Between 1968 and 1988, a total of 211 SD14s were completed and it is interesting to note that, by 1990, only 10 had been scrapped for commercial reasons, a further three going to the breaker's yard after marine accidents. Of the dozen vessels reported as sunk, at least two fell victim to missile attack during the Iran/Iraq conflict.

Like the original Liberty ships, which many thought would be scrapped as soon as the war was over, the SD14 was not ascribed a very long life by some early critics. Nevertheless, these ships are still in demand in the charter market, with average daily rates of $5,200 for a one-year time contract, and in the second hand market with prices ranging from $2.5m for an early seventies ship to $5.75m. for a newer example.

One guide to the success of the SD14 is to look at the movement of the 211 ships through the second-hand market. Most of the ships now sailing are with only their second owner, a few remaining with their original purchaser. The oldest SD14 in service is the Wave Crest, the vessel which, as the Mimis N. Papalios, missed by one day the distinction of being the first completed ship of her type.

SD142.JPG The Model

In 1978, while attached to Manchester Docks, George Robinson, a retired Merchant Navy captain, hit on the idea of providing the port fire brigade with an easy-to-build model of the SD14. In this way, the trainee firemen could easily and quickly become familiar with the layout of the ship.

So, originated a 2-foot long, 1:70 scale model kit of the Forward section of the SD14. This first attempt met with such success that kits if the Midships and After sections followed in 1979, the complete model measuring an imposing 7 feet in length. Professional and international recognition followed in 1982 when the model won the "Shipwrights Model Competition" at the Guildhall in London.

Quite apart from sheer size, the kit is remarkable, for it is, in fact, put together in much the same way as the original was in Sunderland. Space here permits no more than a brief glimpse of what awaits the builder of this miniature leviathan.

The instructions, which, for the complete kit, run to about 60 pages, first explain that the model will be built by the dry dock method rather than on the slipway - the difference is clarified.

You then proceed to lay the shell bottom plates of the Forward section to form the double bottom, between the outer surface of the hull and the inner surface of the holds. On the original, the space in between in used for water ballast, necessary to keep the propellor submerged when there is no cargo and to maintain an even keel. This last expression, in such common and, I suspect , often unwitting, usage, is precisely defined.

The building progresses aft as the cargo holds are each constructed with transverse watertight bulkheads, hold pillars and centre line plates. There are even properly runged ladders on which to descend to the bowels of the vessel. In the After section, as well as a cargo hold, there is the engine room together with the propellor shaft tunnel and, by lifting up the after deck house, access is provided to the steering gear flat and the rudder stock.

In the bridge superstructure, containing the crew's accommodation, every cabin is accounted for. The crew's mess room, galley and smoke room are each separately delineated as are the linen locker, baggage room and officers' smoke room to mention but a few. The model also incorporates the correct ventilation trunk ways, the significance of which for cargo handling is explained.

In the course of construction, the instructions are supplemented by sections which explain the actual fabrication of the original, so that, as you work through the model, you learn about the SD14, how it was assembled and how it works.The operation of such components as MacGregor hatch covers, the keelson and camber in the original are fully expounded and you can then reproduce these to scale. Step-by-step diagrams illustrate the sequence of construction.

It is perhaps worth remembering that ships are machines, the largest ever built by man. So it is fascinating to see how this great machine works and to reproduce it in miniature at the same time. The correct nautical terms are used and explained, showing how each part of the ship functions and how the whole design draws on centuries of experience to produce the modern ocean-going vessel. If, like me, you have wondered what exactly is a "Tween Deck" and what is its purpose, you need wonder no more. All is revealed after which you can actually build one.

The kit is printed on 184 A3 sheets of top quality manilla card, there being approximately 4,500 pieces, and the modeller can choose to paint the model with an authentic colour scheme or one of his own choice. The three sections can be fixed together or left dismantled and the aft superstructure can be removed to give a glimpse of the various deck levels inside the hull. naturally, all the cargo hatches open to show the holds.

. The model can be made either for display or, with suitable waterproofing (see "Cutting Remarks" no. 3), can be sailed, there being space for R/C gear.

Although the original SD14 models were all sold out about 10 years ago, Marcle Models, under licence from George Robinson, reissues the SD14 kit. The complete kit, weighing over 17 lbs, is supplied in 6 cartons, complete with a tool kit and costs £280 including worldwide surface mail. The three sections, Forward, Midships and After, are each available separately at £105 each.

Should you decide to have a go, this, the "Non plus ultra of card (and perhaps any other type of) modelling, should keep you busy for about a year.

SD143.JPG

Christopher Cooke and Thomas Pleiner, with acknowledgements to George Robinson, John Lingwood and Ships Monthly. Article first appeared in "Cutting Remarks" No. 4, September 1992.

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening everyone

this is going to be my build log for the forward section of this kit, i have another for the midships section

On a previous attempt to build this, we had a disaster, which resulted in the whols lot going to land fill, even though it was only fractionally completed, but I vowed to attempt again in the future

To be worked on alongside the Victory and my HMS Fife build 

intentions are to build as 3 static displays with weathering, and led lighting

The sheets 180 of them are well printed and the instructions are very clear,, here are a few photos as she arrived today, having been ordered yesterday from Model Dockyard 

post-846-0-43947800-1472846651_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-19688300-1472846655_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-65468400-1472846658_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-76097500-1472846660_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-33882300-1472846663_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-81250900-1472846665_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-67683200-1472846668_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-53594800-1472846670_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-51441800-1472846672_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-97965900-1472846674_thumb.jpg

mtaylor, Omega1234, justsayrow and 12 others like this

Please click on photo for a better image

All the best

Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

i started this a few weeks ago, as an attempt to get some modelling done during the week, as since start my new job 18 months ago i just seam to run out of time in the evenings, and is not an attempt to see how many large scale builds i can have going on at the same time.

i love my boat building but only doing it Saturdays and Sundays plus other domestic jobs around our home, i find quite sole destroying, as i am not able to get into a flow, this is something i can do indoor, with a minimum of mess and be indoors with the wife and doggie

this is how the set arrives

5b4a626bb8178_201609septemberhobbysd14(3).thumb.JPG.40df2db0fac4d76323a2b1bc2931df9e.JPG

5b4a62976b60d_201609septemberhobbysd14(4).thumb.JPG.f110c66c6e050318bbe5cd1b5da84a02.JPG

5b4a62aeda147_201609septemberhobbysd14(6).thumb.JPG.253b285d0c60bd036b481136a4f9deba.JPG

to prevent any warping when being painted, i have treated all the card with a PVA (modge podge) coating, hence the streaky finish seen in some photos 

The SD-14 is a double bottom hull, so of course that is where we start

IMG_2890.thumb.JPG.7c2d192af1833db8ff4e73047fb1f608.JPG

proving some straight lines are used on the work top, it is a lot easier to keep the centre line straight, are there is no keep to do it for me

IMG_2891.thumb.JPG.daccf33502f09b04097851f373648056.JPG

Double bottom longitudinal going in

IMG_2894.thumb.JPG.69294cf5a2ed4eaf781cb9ea04fec322.JPG

and the frames 

IMG_2928.thumb.JPG.f539de19e57087a44c65fa457129cbf4.JPG

these are ten tied in with the tank top  longitudinal s going in  

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.fd041b05864238a1aac8303a5cedfa3c.JPG

IMG_2941.thumb.JPG.23a5510c66832670e204d791ec8586a8.JPG

the centre line deck in temp position as it suggest you work from outside to the middle

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.427d20c070e09e7a55917817e65af4a1.JPG

where i am as of tonight

IMG_2945.thumb.JPG.874a439b8ac92fd83c4e4841c9aa0832.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

This looks like its going to be Huge mate:o

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Cripes, that's a miniature of every single piece of the real thing. Good luck, Kevin.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for the comments and likes

well the tank top plating was completed

the forward plate gets put on slightly later, when i have ensured everything is lined up and fixed into position
[0W5TyDT]
these are the bow frames which support the forepeak
[KsYRDKE]
[u3bvbRX]
[0Aefmc5]
[m0mw2Ko]
now is the right time to let everything dry so tht i can be quite confident that everything is in the right place
[cfeszDT]

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Cripes, that's a miniature of every single piece of the real thing. Good luck, Kevin.

It does look that way, but luckily for Keven there's no miniature rivets. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not my photo

it seams there are not two ships the same, each one has been adapted over time to serve a purpose

Image result for SD 14 CARGO SHIP PHOTO

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

nice to see that this project is still ongoing......as I recall,  you were building the mid ship,  at one point in time.   is it that section, that went to the landfill?  she's gonna be a mammoth model when completed :)   I look forward in seeing more!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice to see that this project is still ongoing......as I recall,  you were building the mid ship,  at one point in time.   is it that section, that went to the landfill?  she's gonna be a mammoth model when completed :)   I look forward in seeing more!

good evening my friend

the build is still there, and tonight i took her out of storage, - my original kit of this build went to landfill, this one is going to be completed, the link is now in my signature strip

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening all

the admiral is enjoying me being in the house working, very strange.

and so the build continues, and now number one cargo hold is defined by the watertight bulkhead going in

this is made up by a port and stbd side being scored either side to form the correct shape, a bracing bar then helps keep the correct shape, and two pillers ans a beam keep everything in the correct place, i am at present securing it the the deck, and lining everything up

[A85rBpS]
[WMt1UvT]
[zOT55Fa]
[zplc2Ah]
[UUh2wG4]

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I need to find out how the insides of the cargo holds were lined, were they lines with stell on both sides of the frames or lined with wood on the inside, reason for asking, is the diorama setting where the internals will be exposed, lol life would be so much simpler, if i just stuck to OOB 1/350 kits

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

No 'lining' as such.  The inside of the hold was either simply bare frames, as in the photo below of one of my old ships - in this case a bulk sugar carrier

5b4ed8077a6d7_105-MVMeringa.thumb.jpg.012e69383154e7398d1d8ef1a2931b98.jpg

or, if the cargo was a little more sensitive, wooded 'ceiling' - battens spaced along the sides of the hold as in the photo below from the web.

5b4ed8732070c_shipshold.thumb.jpg.9deb737175a1f62f56f7b2fbdde6aa65.jpg

John

19 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Kevin,

No 'lining' as such.  The inside of the hold was either simply bare frames, as in the photo below of one of my old ships - in this case a bulk sugar carrier

5b4ed8077a6d7_105-MVMeringa.thumb.jpg.012e69383154e7398d1d8ef1a2931b98.jpg

or, if the cargo was a little more sensitive, wooded 'ceiling' - battens spaced along the sides of the hold as in the photo below from the web.

5b4ed8732070c_shipshold.thumb.jpg.9deb737175a1f62f56f7b2fbdde6aa65.jpg

John

thank you John, very much appreciated, would she have had different material in separate holds or all the same  

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin, being a 'break-bulk' carrier (model technicalese for 'not a container ship') she could have been carrying anything and everything - often all at the same time.  Cargo is stowed according to where it will fit in best; where it doesn't adverse the stability of the ship; for ease of access at the discharge port; where it doesn't interfere with working other parcels of cargo and compatibility with other cargo in the hold.  If she were on a charter to carry bulk cargos, the ceiling would have been removed to make discharging the bulk cargo easier.

John

5 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Kevin, being a 'break-bulk' carrier (model technicalese for 'not a container ship') she could have been carrying anything and everything - often all at the same time.  Cargo is stowed according to where it will fit in best; where it doesn't adverse the stability of the ship; for ease of access at the discharge port; where it doesn't interfere with working other parcels of cargo and compatibility with other cargo in the hold.  If she were on a charter to carry bulk cargos, the ceiling would have been removed to make discharging the bulk cargo easier.

John

Thank you John, that opens many opportunities for a diorama

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

wow

well that throws the cat amongst the chickens, i love the idea but that means one seven foot hull, my mind is now ticking over on how to achieve that in 3 sections = im open to ideas everyone

and thank you again for posting photos John

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

glad you didn't throw the fox in there.........you'd end up with no chickens!  ;) 

I think that's a special kind of insanity Kevin........depends how nutz you wanna get ;)    this model would definitely be a good for suggestions as for how far you can go.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You could always load the sections up with whatever cargo you wanted to have and leave a side panel or two off, plus 1/72 is a standard scale for miniature figures, so finding a crew wouldn’t be too terribly difficult.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

You could always load the sections up with whatever cargo you wanted to have and leave a side panel or two off, plus 1/72 is a standard scale for miniature figures, so finding a crew wouldn’t be too terribly difficult.

I think a 1/72 crew on a 1/70 scale would not be to out of place, lol but a bit like putting a 6' sailor on a submarine

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone
I many options on how to display this build, but to do any of them i need to get it built, my preferred option at present is to display it in a cutaway format, so everything inside needs to be finished as per the real thing

Grey primer from rattle can
[xf3qpBi]
[pwnzQlW]
the bulkheads are in Red Ochre
[Up5T4L7]
main box girders going in, 
[YOd8Boq]
[VE2ywpo]
[IOMUX56]
[0iSpI75]
the loose ended strips will slowly be tied in as the build progress, so i will avoid painting them for now as they indicate frame numbers

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

as with the middle section, as the tie bars go in, everything stars to be pulled into place

Middle section photo

hobby sd14 (1).JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Amazing work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1