SD-14 Cargo ship forward section by Kevin - 1/70 - CARD

very nice progress Kevin.  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the frames between the two hulls, would they have been painted black?

IMG_2943.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

what does the instructions tell you to paint them?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Lol what instructions, just lots of sheets saying where it all go,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Interesting question on color for that area.   One of the red rust prevention paints maybe?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I wouldn't be surprised if it was black. I'm not sure when coal-tar epoxy paint came into general use, but I recall slathering it around the ballast tank of my first ship twenty years ago. More modern ships use more of an off-white colour in the ballast tanks to improve lighting (better passive reflection from portable light sources), and defect detection. Bunker tanks are generally uncoated.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

On 7/24/2018 at 2:54 AM, Jim Lad said:

Prior to coal-tar epoxy, a cement wash was often applied to double bottom tanks - especially fresh water tanks.

John

Kevin you've got a choice out of 50 shades of grey ... intricate build ... 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Railroads used something called car cement to seal up the panel seams on metal roofs and that gunk was black to start. Might use a charcoal grey for that. Straight black would be way too dark.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

TY for the replies, so if i went matt black i dont think i would be hung then, i do remember all the internal free flood compartments of warships and submarines being a thick black, so thats what i am tending to go with, plus it breaks up the build into defined areas, lol then i will go and cover it all over with hull plating

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone, from a wet and cool somerset after a few weeks of nice warm tempretures

progress on the build is going ok, in fact it looks better than the phots show it, 

time to start putting the frames in, the transverse girders are attached to this at the point where the frame changes angle
all the port side one will go in , as this side will be fully plated on the outside, im not sure about how to complete the stbd side, as i want that opened up to view the insides

some of the frames are not yet glued in so look a bit squiffy

[JlgyyA1]
[3fQneP9]
[oXjiCHw]
[NMZPP25]
[6nHNZUf]
[ZZXfkpf]
[sc7koHB]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Amazing work kevin,  it looks like a real ship building site,  and kudos to you takling something so flimsy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Amazing work kevin,  it looks like a real ship building site,  and kudos to you takling something so flimsy.

OC.

as it go together, i is surprising just how rigid she is getting, apart from the frames that support the tween deck cargo hold, they are tending to get in the way

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

31 minutes ago, Kevin said:

as it go together, i is surprising just how rigid she is getting, apart from the frames that support the tween deck cargo hold, they are tending to get in the way

In a way you are copying the manufacturing process of the "beast" and at this scale, paper is probably as strong as metal would be, I am not the least bit surprised it's as strong and rigid as you point out. You could compare it with the strength of a honeycomb structure ...

Carl

i will try and get some better photo's, the ones above make it look far worse than it is, and the flash has washed to colour of the frames out, i am thoroughly enjoying this, i love the scale, and have a big build that is manageable in what will be 3 sections

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

the build slowly gets bigger, and with a combination of planning what needs to be painted and what will be removed at a later date, im quite pleased with it
the tie bars on the stbd side are waiting for the frames to be put into place, then it will all be repainted 
[TNX2VyQ]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

not much of an update, the frames are taking me forever, plus i have not been 100%
8cNxqzk.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hope your ok kevin  sorry to hear you have not been too good.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Good evening everyone
i have been doing quite a lot on the build over the last few days, and photo progress as i go along, but i dont quite know whats going wrong wrt to the photo quality when i come to do an update, out side has been quite bright with tge nice sunshine we have been having, inside is cool and dingy so the flash jumps in, and i think thats part of the problem, everything is being washed out with the light
anyway

99% of the frame up to the forward line of the cargo hatch, some has be left out so that i can work inside the cargo space
the tween deck was made away from the hull so that i could paint it before fitting
some led lighting has been fitted, as i was to be able to show it on completion
the deck is not fitted yet and needs some more work to allow that,also i am working out how to cut some of it out to display the structure

this is frame 138 with the after part of the wt bulkhead adapted now to hide the led lighting wires
[MNIfrD2]
most frames fitted and the tween deck still being worked on

[GZSIFH2]
tween deck and bulkhead in place but not fitted still quite a bit to do before that happens

[c3jK1n7]
and limited lighting, as i did nit want it looking like a show boat
[822cbIA]
[ZsshROu]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

pretty ingenious to hide the wires inside the beams.......good use of the structure  ;)     lighting looks good!   very nice progress.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

6 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

pretty ingenious to hide the wires inside the beams.......good use of the structure  ;)     lighting looks good!   very nice progress.

thank you i just want it to show any storage in the hold,im nor sure if theses ships had any hold lighting

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I'm sure they did.........likely to be very dark down there.   they probably would be shielded though.......prevent any ignition of grain dust.........etc  ;)        there were likely more lights as well..........but the single one would give enough insight,  I think  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

i am starting to get my head around working with card, and starting to enjoy it rather than having an attitude of its only card, 

well the tween deck has been laid and fits ok, can people please give their views on the cut out section, i hope to do this all over the build, but only if it looks ok to others,
[pJ1xsvJ]
[Al32KrF]
[B38vjsj]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm sure they did.........likely to be very dark down there.   they probably would be shielded though.......prevent any ignition of grain dust.........etc  ;)        there were likely more lights as well..........but the single one would give enough insight,  I think  :) 

agreed, i may try another set in the forward part of the hold, or incorporate another cutaway section to let light some through from the tween deck, im presently googling cargo's and or the best wat to represent some cargo on the port side as thats the side which will be fully plated

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I think your cut out is very well illustrated.......nicely done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The idea is good, I would have used sharp corners instead of this pool like shape, but that's a personal preference.

I think you're a bit early prepping for the cleaning lady ...

Carl