SD-14 by Kevin - Marcle Models - 1/70 - CARD - cargo ship forward section

the cargo hatches, 5 of them to make i think, look like they would be extremely heavy in real fife, would they be craned in and out of position and were they physically removed from the ship or just swung around and left on the deck, i presume they actually formed part of the ships structure when in place, or did i dream that

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

7 minutes ago, cog said:

The idea is good, I would have used sharp corners instead of this pool like shape, but that's a personal preference.

I think you're a bit early prepping for the cleaning lady ...

umm LOL the wife was cleaning the bathroom at the time, and was quite concerned that when she turned around to use one of the items it wasnt there

as for the cut out section i tried both ways but there is a lot of straight lines around that section, but i loves other peoples input

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Its looking great   -  and just proves the strength of card when joined together.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I think the hatches just slid fore or aft.  There's photos showing hatches in sections and opened they ended up on top of each other.  Lifting one off would be impractical in my view as time in the dock is money not being made.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm pretty sure the SD14's has MacGregor hatch covers - steel sections joined by short lengths of chain and running on rollers along the hatch.  They were pulled either forward or aft into the space at the end of the hatch and folded up on their ends as they reached the storage bay.

The (very old) photos below are of one of the shipped I was on as a cadet - MV 'Wollongong'.  In the one of her at sea you can see the hatch covers secured over the hatch and, as you say, virtually becoming a part of the structure.  In the second photo she's loading iron ore and you can see the sections of hatch cover tilted up and stowed at the end of the hatch.

John

605853272_81-MVWollongong.thumb.jpg.6a7a8a58ed29c8a682f81b80c8008f89.jpg1221765161_91-MVWollongong.thumb.jpg.1fba2d8a019cd33eae2a3e56f9f258eb.jpg

5 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

I'm pretty sure the SD14's has MacGregor hatch covers - steel sections joined by short lengths of chain and running on rollers along the hatch.  They were pulled either forward or aft into the space at the end of the hatch and folded up on their ends as they reached the storage bay.

The (very old) photos below are of one of the shipped I was on as a cadet - MV 'Wollongong'.  In the one of her at sea you can see the hatch covers secured over the hatch and, as you say, virtually becoming a part of the structure.  In the second photo she's loading iron ore and you can see the sections of hatch cover tilted up and stowed at the end of the hatch.

John

605853272_81-MVWollongong.thumb.jpg.6a7a8a58ed29c8a682f81b80c8008f89.jpg1221765161_91-MVWollongong.thumb.jpg.1fba2d8a019cd33eae2a3e56f9f258eb.jpg

Yes Jim i have that to build up when i get there, sorry i didn't make my self clear but was referring to the covers on the tween deck

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I could see him runn'in 'round the house scoff'in up stuff........and the missus ask'in  "whatcha do'in?"  :D :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good evening everyone, its been nice to have a weeks holiday, 

very few DIY jobs done, apart from clearing our conservatory and booking an electrician to do some work to allow me to work permanently indoors (no spray painting or sanding allowed) 
more work on the build today as i work on the main deck support beams, this will lead on to the pointy bit, and there is a lot to do up that end,and so much scope to enhance it

my new mancave which will allow me to work indoors, but proper electrics and pc connections needed first with decent led strip lights be placed in
[z2KvvxO]

[9LfCvCe]
[q5zdQwp]
[R1VyMLU]
[hUAwjlq]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I missed sending birthday greetings - hope you had a lovely day and recieved some lovely boat building goodies.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Happy Birthday, Kevin !  Hope you are enjoying the day. :champagne-2:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Sorry I missed sending birthday greetings - hope you had a lovely day and recieved some lovely boat building goodies.

OC.

Thank you, I had a very nice day ( infact a long 6 day weekend), my birday pressie was treating ourselfs to the conservatory being rewired for some non messy boat building within the house, will post photos later

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, maaaslo said:

how is this kit build going on? i hope you did not get rid of it, it would be such a waste...

Thank you 

it is still as per the last photo, in the future i will do the same as the back end and add a bit from the midships section to it and produce a diorama 

meanwhile i am working on the back end and have about 80 days left to produce something out of it

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Hashir said:

Hi

Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new in this. Brand new to be exact. But how strong is a cardboard ship going to be? It has a LOT of fine details that are so brilliant but wouldn't the cardboard compromise its life?

the way it has been designed, as per the real ship, it is quite strong, wrt to being card, i will protect it with modge podge, which is a varnish

many of this kits are given a outer protective layer and used on the water with RC

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

my plans are to restart this project this week, all three sections at the same time, i just need to finish the stagecoach of first

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

perhaps one of the grown up could suggest a way ahead wrt previous started topics in relation to this build

do i delete them

or do i start a new topic and link the previous topics

rather than three sections this will be the 7 foot version in a cutaway format,  an expected year to 18 month build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

Yes, a new thread would provide clarity.

I’m looking forward to it!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 8/10/2018 at 3:38 AM, Jim Lad said:

John

you mean like this

Cap_San_Diego-pokrywa_luku_ladowni.jpg.661b2ee8515ca9de2c54711f35712b09.jpg

38 minutes ago, mikegr said:

you mean like this

Cap_San_Diego-pokrywa_luku_ladowni.jpg.661b2ee8515ca9de2c54711f35712b09.jpg

they are part of the kit, but i never get far enough to complete them lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• The title was changed to SD-14 by Kevin - Marcle Models - 1/70 - CARD - cargo ship forward section