Does anybody know if this Company is still in business?  I ordered a book from them on 26th January and it has not arrived.  My six emails on the subject have remained unanswered.  Are they a normally reliable? are they even syill trading?

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

2 minutes ago, bartley said:

Does anybody know if this Company is still in business?  I ordered a book from them on 26th January and it has not arrived.  My six emails on the subject have remained unanswered.  Are they a normally reliable? are they even syill trading?

John

I never ordered directly at seawatch, but as far as I heard, they are both in business and reliable.

Some MSW-members publish quite some work through seawatch. I never heard them complain, nor their customers....

Jan

Bob Friedman, the owner of Seawatch, is on the forum as BobF. Can't imagine that he would deliberately let an order languish for six months -- I'd wager it's some form of miscommunication.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I just placed and received a five book order.  The web site did not

provide me with an confirmation and I did not receive an email.

I saw that my credit card had paid the bill - so I wanted to see if the order had gotten thru.

I can't use any website's  " contact us " link - it starts an endless loop of new tabs - hundreds of them if I let it.

I sent an email  to the address from a Google lookup:   gmail   = seawatchbooks@

no  reply so a couple of days later I found an address from an old order

seawatchbooks.com     = customer_service@

I got a return message saying that the order was shipped  and since that was yesterday and

it was here today - my email was not involved.  The curious part was that the reply was from a gmail account.

Try both email addresses - I can't say which worked for me.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I have always gotten what I ordered and been well pleased. Now I have ordered books not yet published and waited months, but I knew that in advance. So it was not of any concern. I intend to order the next book from Grant Walker the instant they announce a publication date.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

I live in the UK, and just ordered 4 books from them.  They arrived exactly two weeks from date of order so no complaints from me.  Shipping was eye watering it is true, but that is not their fault.  As for the books, well hats off to David Antscherl, Ed Tosti and Allan Yedlinsky, great inspiring work.

Current build: Lady Nelson

I have ordered many books from them and have had a few minor issues with the electronic orders.  I do not get a conformation email just after ordering.  The first time this happened I ended up calling them and the order was processing correctly just not giving me a confirmation email.  Since then I order and wait and it always shows up pretty quickly.  It is weird not getting any confirmation but it seems to work and I always need to work on my patience.

I also received a double order once and called and got it straightened out easy enough to get the extra books returned.

It was easy to call them they were very nice on the phone.  (Not sure how that would apply to overseas calls)  I have not emailed them before so don't know how well that way works.

Overall I am very appreciative that we have such a great publisher available for our hobby.

Here in the States (I can't say for certain anywhere else) the ISP's do a lot of filtering and some businesses sending confirmations, etc. inadvertently get dumped into the ISP's spam bucket.  Not much we as users can do though. For a long time, emails for notifications went there.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ordered though them, no problems. They have a really good reputation, sounds like some unfortunate miscommunication. Have you tried to contact bobcat here on MSW?

I've purchased four books on four different occasions from Bob and had absolutely no problems and the books arrived in a very short time.   I agree, contact Bobcat here on MSW.   Also double check your credit card's monthly statement and see if it was actually charged for the order, it could be the order never went thru properly.

Edited by Jack12477

I appreciate the voices of support for SeaWatchBooks. As a lot of you know I am a one man band; sort of leader of the band. I have processed thousands of your orders over the years along with managing authors, editors, designers, computer graphics experts, fulfillment service people and my print management crew. Somewhere in this semi controlled confusion something goes wrong. We try and fix it with various degrees of success. 

But as long as there is a good supply of duct tape and a hank of bailing wire I think we will be able to keep most of you happy.

Thanks for your patience

Bob Friedman

I won't be completely happy until I am sitting by the fire with a shot or two (or three) of Jack Daniels single barrel and my new copy of the 2nd volume form the Henry Huddleston collection, presumably 3rs & 4th rates. Although I am not sure Bob is in control of that.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Eagerly awaiting....The Rogers Collection of Dockyard Models...Third rates, Volume Two.

Dilly. Dilly.:rolleyes:

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the UK and received my book today just over a week after placing the order - excellent service.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 1 month later...

There's been a campaign by Google and other browsers to push websites to clean up their sites.    Seawatch has an expired certificate listed as the problem.  I just went there with all my "shields" up and checked via 3 different browsers.  I found no other issues than the expired certificate.   As always, your mileage may vary.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Great company and great service.  I just received this today.  I had ordered the book (and received it) back when it was first available.

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.56c220eafdb9a1d082deb13b55c289b9.jpg

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Serge, have you tried sending him a private message here? He checks in regularly.

Nope. But, magically, I received the book today! If I've just waited one more day... -))

UPDATE. According to the tracking number on shipping label, the book was shipped very promptly but got "stuck" somewhere between the US and Italy for almost two months. Well, may happen. I've been worried only because I did not have this tracking number to start with and did not know if book was shipped already or not yet. But at the end, I am happy it all turned out well..

Thanks

Serge

Edited by skorolev