Hello from New Jersey

SkipW

Hello everyone - I have finally come back to wooden ship modelling after a 25 year lay-off - - seemed work & family ate up all my time and space.  Now I have both.  I have started an HMS Pegasus from Victory Amati.  I have read over 20 build logs on the Pegasus, Syren,  and Fly which have provided invaluable tips and techniques.  Have also already gotten help from several members.  I will be starting a Build Log shortly - not that I think I have new information or skills - but I love the helpful feedback and support that is given by other members here.

SkipW

SkipW.thumb.jpg.c59ff37a693d49a6cb1995040fc76d53.jpg

Skip,

Welcome back.  In addition, you might consider dropping by a local meeting of the Ship Model Society of New Jersey.  We meet once a month at the Roseland Public Library.  There are about 60 of us and we have a great time learning and encouraging each other.

See out website here.

http://www.shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.org/

Chuck

Hi Chuck -

I believe I've got it straightened out - my subsequent posts have been with the "Notify Me of Replies" "on" and I have been getting some replies  - - so it was only that one almost "accidental" submission that was wrong.  I think you could actually delete that first post (in the Build Log) as you will see I am working from the later one and have added several updates today to which I have some replies.  Or, maybe just forget it and since the updates will all be from the "correct" one it may make no difference at all.

Many thanks,

Skip

Hi Chuck -

Not sure how else to get in touch with you.  I have been studying your original build log of the Syren - - absolutely amazing.  As a diversion - - to test my tolerance for frustration - I started trying to set up the tackles for the canons on my Pegasus.  I am very envious of your tackles.  I have the 28 ga wire for the hooks - but am having trouble gluing it into holes in the tops of the blocks.  What I am puzzled by is how you get a good bond there.  Because of the hole used to reeve the tackle - the hole for inserting the wire for the hook must be extremely shallow.  Am I missing something?  Also, if you have a jig/gadget/trick for holding these blocks while "operating on them" I would be very grateful to know how it is done.

Thanks,

Skip

I'm by Freehold, but I come up to the Long Valley area a lot as I fly fish the South Branch and the Musconetcong. Beautiful area.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Hi David -

Since this is my first planked hull & deck build I don't have a good point of reference.  As others have commented the quality of the MDF parts, and their fit, is great.  I have not experienced any of the issues others have reported with the 1mm thick plywood decks - - again fit is remarkably good.  The gunport strip of 1mm plywood leaves a bit to be desired as it is a complex shape and requires a lot of soaking/clamping to fit it properly.  I have not mounted it yet - only begun the start of fitting it.

The tanganyika deck planking is a bit "fuzzy" and flimsy - - but so far the deck I have laid looks good.

I have not tried any of the 1mm limewood hull first planking yet - but most builders seem to find it acceptable.  I am debating the 1mm walnut strips for the outer hull planking.  It was Blue Ensign who substituted boxwood for this outer planking and found it very easy to work with.  And, since 90% of it will be covered with the copper plates I am contemplating using the 0.6mm boxwood from Original Marquetry in the UK.  I have checked with them and it is available - - I have time to make this decision as it will be a while before I get to that stage.

Hope this helps.

Skip