Sharpie Schooner by Senior ole salt - FINISHED - Midwest Products - better late than never

Way back in 2014 I picked up this kit at the local flea market for a few bucks. The contents were all warped and the plans missing, gone in some flood. So I said to myself why not try to put it together all the parts seemed to be there and pre cut , what can go wrong ? The sides the bulkheads the bottom the cabin etc all pre cut and obvious where which part mates to which part. So I put it together and it went OK just a few parts left over. I mentioned this on back in Oct 2014 here on the Forum about no sail plan and later got a package in the mail from J. F. from LA USA ( thanks again J. F) with the instruction booklet, complete plans and with the sail and rigging diagrams. I contacted Chuck to get the users name of the person who kindly sent me all I need to build the model, but no luck with that.

Then along came the request to build the Sloop Providence  Completed and posted on the "Scratch built  Forum" for my son in law so this little schooner model had to be shelved for for a while.

Presently I am working on the model and posting a bit late with the progress but BETTER  LATE THEN NEVER SHARPIE.

SOS

Sharpie schooner.jpg

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

First a little about this craft

5b50fc040c040_Sharpieschoonerhistory.thumb.jpg.9ecb878f778d0beaac3fe4832f0fc05e.jpg

This is a working schooner but my interpretation is a vessel coming fresh from a refit and things looking a bit new and not
showing the "toil" of the fishermen.

SOS

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

The instruction booklet was very good but the plans lack any detail of the hatches etc.  According to the plan the 2  fwd cargo hatches each have less then a foot clearance to load and unload turtle cargo. A crewman would have to go below and carry out the turtles. Unless this person is extremely thin I cannot see how this is accomplished.

So I just might install a one larger hatch system enabling a useable hatch for the persons of that period. In the image is a 5'3" tall crew.

I realize  the centerboard trunk/case divides this space but the case can be cut down some allowing more room to attend to the turtle cargo. After all the skipper/ owners would fit out his vessel to suit him self giving me liberty to do the same.

SOS

Sharpie Schooner 1 hatch.jpg

Sharpie schooner 2 hatches.jpg

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 5 months later...

OK it's finished a bit different than the plans. Now she is a yacht waiting to be launched as her skipper look on as 1078604089_Schooner5.thumb.jpg.7c7656969c74de0ade073c9f83b47cf7.jpg309928967_Schooner2.thumb.jpg.e8f2cc66a63b8c755b8fa5c76a237e0d.jpg1040239712_Schooner3.jpg.ad0afd07b8dce277623c5524712a0a4e.jpgthe ships cat is on the hunt.

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 5 months later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me