USS Kearsarge by rtibbs2018 - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:96 - First ship build

Well, I've been lurking around here too long. It's time to start my first ship build. As I stated in the introductions post I looked at several kits and decided on the USS Kearsarge.

Haven't found many build logs on the Kearsarge so I might as well start with the requisite box contents picture.

I ordered the paint kit to go with it and forgot the copper so I ordered it separately.

This won't be a quick build. 5Plaque.thumb.jpg.6be757e966daa14390ca13882527f36d.jpgopefully, it Hopefully it will end in a completed model though and not in the lost builds file :(

Thought the included Brass plaque was a nice touch. 

5b51e00a08c2f_4BoxContents.thumb.jpg.bdedd1cfc1ce2b87c27aac01c9bb7d22.jpg5b51dfa981175_3BoxArt.thumb.jpg.513acb5b279f3001dcdb820ef521873b.jpg

a very nice kit indeed!  definitely will follow along on your journey :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks like a very nice model and should prove a fun build!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

To edit a post, just click the "Edit" button at the bottom.

To add pictures, use "Chose Files" button.   Upload your pictures and then set the cursor where you want photo.  Click the almost invisible "Add" button on the left side of the thumbnail.  "Rinse and repeat" so to speak.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi rtibbs2018 , You have inspired me to build another ship. So I ordered kit #50. My last build was the USS Constitution by BlueJacket. I swore I would never build another 1/96 scale ship but here I am again a couple years older but none wiser. Seems like ship building is in my blood. I will be following your build. Just as soon as I figure out how to follow a build log. This looks like a beauty.

Edited by CPS_skybolt

30 minutes ago, CPS_skybolt said:

I will be following your build. Just as soon as I figure out how to follow a build log. This looks like a beauty.

Upper right hand corner of the page is a "follow" button.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

43 minutes ago, CPS_skybolt said:

Hi rtibbs2018 , You have inspired me to build another ship. So I ordered kit #50. My last build was the USS Constitution by BlueJacket. I swore I would never build another 1/96 scale ship but here I am again a couple years older but none wiser. Seems like ship building is in my blood. I will be following your build. Just as soon as I figure out how to follow a build log. This looks like a beauty.

Welcome skybolt,

We can commiserate together  :(

Ron 

They give the option to construct the hull with a reveal which shows chain placed at strategic locations within the hull for additional protection from cannon shot. I elected to build it without the reveal. Something about seeing a hull with a hole in it's side didn't appeal to me.

I'm also including some balsa triangles to add additional support to the bulkheads in case "heavy hands" gets carried away in the fairing of the bulkheads.

Starboard bulkheads being glued in place.

5b54d1620717f_7starbordbulkheads.thumb.jpg.b7c8548d61552e0a3e15381bffa56cea.jpg

Port side bulkheads

5b54d166356db_8portsidebulkheads.thumb.jpg.56bf53d5c8ff50f3358d5344b4e54fea.jpg

Support cradle to keep everything aligned

5b54d17f37913_16Supportcradle.thumb.jpg.afc9787b0ca3dab4a5fca15aad7e45c8.jpg

All bulkheads in place with balsa triangles in addition to the basswood pieces supplied with the kit

5b54d16a72024_9bulkheadsset.thumb.jpg.290963cdb6eec691d1a446a226d165d7.jpg

Ready for the false deck

5b54d16e633c7_10readyforfalsedeck.thumb.jpg.231d00f6f0996e349dd429ed34468b2b.jpg

Dry fitting

5b54d17291ff1_11dryfit.thumb.jpg.47f1584242212edff0da1e17dbfa64fd.jpg

Deck gluing

5b54d176be980_13falsedeckglueing.thumb.jpg.26a0258b9ec822ec697088b1fa7db7c0.jpg

Dry fitting of bow and stern jigs for planking

5b54d17b0fb1a_15Fittingbowandsternjigs.thumb.jpg.5ce013e782c44385532c517ac39f715d.jpg

Now it's time to cut and fit bow and stern filler blocks.

Sure is good to get back to building. Almost forgot how nice it is to chew CA from ones fingers.:D

If this is your first ship build, what have you been doing with that fine workshop up until now? Whatever it was, I hope you enjoy this fun hobby.

Righteous workshop! This may be your first ship build, but you're no beginner.  Me on the the other hand...  I'm learning a lot just by watching.  I'll follow along. 

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

On 7/20/2018 at 8:25 AM, rtibbs2018 said:

This won't be a quick build.

Well I guess that you better slow down then.  At the rate you're going you should be done with all four of your ships by next summer!:D  It looks like you have all the tools and the shop to "get er done" as they say at Home Depot.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Well I guess that you better slow down then.  At the rate you're going you should be done with all four of your ships by next summer!:D  It looks like you have all the tools and the shop to "get er done" as they say at Home Depot.

I’m closing in on the planking stage. May not see another post for six months :o

Edited by rtibbs2018
Typo

hull frame looks very good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The balsa support triangles ideal must have come from model aircraft construction. I always put them everywhere in aircraft models. Never thought of using them in ship construction. Great ideal. To support the finished model I glue pieces of hardwood inside on either side of the keel where the Pedestals screws go through.  You have given me ideals on purchasing some new tools prior to my next build. I'll be watching.

Edited by CPS_skybolt

Had to take a break from building and throw together a smaller building board which will allow me to get to both sides for fairing/planking without having to bend over to reach the other side of the hull.

Directions call for the bulkhead extensions to be adhered (glued) to the building board then sawed off after planking. My method is to use magnets instead of glue.

Never have been accused of taking the easy way out. 🙃

1870685093_16smallbuildingboard.thumb.jpg.4008d60b08549f112de16bfea8d5775d.jpg

Filler blocks roughed in and glued in place

809912214_17fillerblocksinstalled.thumb.jpg.7b820bbf129df82fbe957b5c7415244a.jpg

All mounted and ready for the "fun" to begin

1117784627_18Mountedforfairing.thumb.jpg.9b0fc8a90c9d2064823de4fef895a1bf.jpg

Thankfully I have a nice selection of PermaGrit shapes and sanding bars

385780759_19Sandingtools.thumb.jpg.76ca0d2af3a1a718215778fec9d3a645.jpg

Filler blocks sanded and most of the fairing is complete

1291132611_20Fillerblockssanded.thumb.jpg.9bb8fdc96f795820d362ca0031e5f3d1.jpg

Now I need to build some "soaking" tubes for my planking. I have used wallpaper wetting trays in the past for planking aircraft however I need something a little smaller for these planks. Also they tend to float in the larger tray.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, When you get to the " sally port " ( personnel passage way on and off the ship, one on each side of the ship ). The instructions call for LK28D. I can not find this part, it does not exist in my kit. The instructions and plans are confusing reference number wise. The reference photo is wrong and instructions are confusing as far as numbered parts.  By looking at the plans I made the parts out of spare wood as they are simple to make.

Bob

49 minutes ago, CPS_skybolt said:

Ron, When you get to the " sally port " ( personnel passage way on and off the ship, one on each side of the ship ). The instructions call for LK28D. I can not find this part, it does not exist in my kit. The instructions and plans are confusing reference number wise. The reference photo is wrong and instructions are confusing as far as numbered parts.  By looking at the plans I made the parts out of spare wood as they are simple to make.

Bob

Thanks for the heads up. Not there as yet but will make a note of it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its been a few weeks since my last post and I began planking the hull. I have the lower hull planked and will finish the bulwarks next.

I'm sure I've violated most all of the conventions used by you master builders when it comes to planking. Planking is a tedious process which I actually enjoyed. :omg: It is a lot easier planking a model aircraft as balsa forms much easier than Limewood. But I digress....

Being my first ship build I certainly learned what not to do on my next project. This is a single plank which will be coppered.

When I complete the bulwarks I'll finish filling some boo, boo's, add the keel and sand the hull. I'm looking forward to turning the hull over and looking at the deck. 

21 Planking.jpg

On 7/22/2018 at 2:06 PM, rtibbs2018 said:

Sure is good to get back to building.

I guess we will call you MR. Tibbs (related to Sidney?)

I agree your build will be much nicer without the exposed guts. Not very appealing unless they showed more like crew quarters or engine.

Good luck should be a killer build.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, full scale decking is finished so it's back to the shipyard.

Don't you just hate when you start to cook something then you realize you don't have all the ingredients on hand.:default_wallbash:

Since the hull is to be painted and coppered I decided to seal the hull with 3/4 oz. glass cloth then prime and paint.

Ya gotta love the smell of polyester resin in the morning. (Paraphrasing Robert Duvall) 😉

Had all my glass cloth cut and ready to apply when I noticed my polyester resin had hardened in the can. I ordered a new can from the local hobby shop and it arrived the next morning. Opened the can and found it had started to gel. Oh crap, it's off to the store to exchange it. They had one container left and it appeared ok.

Applied a layer of glass cloth to the hull and Lightly sanded the surface with 220 grit paper.

2030515168_22hullglassed.thumb.jpg.3b44c420a5dcdd18ee65e8092e239d7e.jpg

Applied the final coat of resin.

541042452_23Hullglassed.thumb.jpg.6fbe2f456ac13f3b7fc483f1086d8681.jpg

Sanded the hull.

654739863_24hullsanded.thumb.jpg.393c57d2526842d0aa8d401e50f263e9.jpg

Now I'm ready to prime the surface with my favorite grey primer. Oops I'm out of primer. So now I wait for Amazon to deliver it as it's not carried locally. 

the hull came out really nice :)   I've tried it once {didn't use the cloth}..........I should do it more often ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: