USS Kearsarge by rtibbs2018 - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:96 - First ship build

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the hull came out really nice :)   I've tried it once {didn't use the cloth}..........I should do it more often ;) 

Popeye,

Guess I fell back to my model aircraft days. When applying the glass cloth I thin the resin about 25% then brush it on to the cloth. The diluted resin takes a little longer to cure then when applied full strength. Sand off any "strings, etc." with 220 grit then apply the final coat of resin full strength.

I then sand with 180 grit and follow up with 220 grit. I sand almost down to the fabric but hopefully, not through it.

It does provide an excellent surface for painting. When doing aircraft we always worry about added weight however, the majority of the resin is sanded off and the cloth is only 3/4 oz. to the yard. Of course with ships who cares about adding a little ballast.😀

Some people prefer to use epoxy resin as apposed to the polyester because of the smell of the polyester but, to me. the poly gives a much harder surface and is easier to sand then the epoxy. IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've kind of been hung up with the waterways. Several attempts have resulted in as less than desirable result fitting the 1/8" wide strip in at a 45 deg. angle around the transom area which requires the strip to be twisted as well as bowed slightly.

I came up with a solution which, I'm sure will make you shipbuilder purists shudder.

I milled a triangular piece which when formed would lay at the proper angle between the weather deck and the bulwarks.

1459551038_26Waterway.thumb.jpg.a08e8463f2733ad0b73ea2192567a466.jpg

I also made a fixture which formed the radius at the transom.

878436638_27Waterwayjig.thumb.jpg.c5a2d2298f40929c9711c02dc74804ad.jpg

• 3 years later...

OMG. Has it been that long since I posted my build. For the last several years I got side tracked with CNC & 3D printing projects.

I did finish the Kearsarge however, I never posted the finished model and have since sold it. Not sure if I have pictures of the completed model but will search for some.

Going to try to get back into ship modeling although with something not so complex as the Kearsarge was as I'm currently the primary care giver for my wife who has issues with a back surgery gone wrong and not sure how much time I can devote to building. (Ah, the golden years)

Ron

• The title was changed to USS Kearsarge by rtibbs2018 - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:96 - First ship build