Hello from Scotland

Trig

Hello,

In the process of finishing up my first model, Amundsen's Gjoa by Constructo, a few more sails and bits and pieces and its done. Been lurking here for the past few weeks now, reading through some of the build logs and wow, some impressive stuff.

I bought my kit in February 2017, so its taken me a while. Id like to say there was a great deal of research went into which kit to buy and whether this was a hobby for me, and what tools were required.  But none of that happened. I was bored one night, considering buying a plastic kit, when wooden kits started to appear on my Amazon listing. Ive always had an interest in doing some woodworking, but no space for it, so a wooden model seemed like a good choice.

I lost interest (and patience!) every now and then, but ive finally almost reached the end.

Lots of mistakes were made, due to laziness and/or lack of knowledge, and the instructions were pretty vague, to me anyway.

I have a couple of pictures so may post them later. Its not terrible,but far from the standards on here, but hopefully i'll do better with my next one. Though, one thing i have taken away from it all, is that i do not like rigging,sails or sewing at all. Next model one without sails i think :P

Current-

HMS Bounty 1:48 by Artesania Latina

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo

Hello Trig,

Welcome to MSW.  Congratulations on finishing the model and I hope you do another.  There is no competition or "standards" for this hobby.  It should be about the fun and self-satisfaction.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks.  I enjoyed it,  nice to look at it and know that it started from a bundle of wood, so pretty satisfying that way.

Definitely doing another model, just browsing through the build logs at the moment for an idea of which one to do.

I like the idea of doing a cross section model, though there doesnt seem to be a great deal of choice online, and im wondering whether i would regret spending the money on a cross section instead of a full boat. Looking for something a bit heavier on the woody side of things rather than the rigging etc. Though thinking about it, for the time i spent on the current model and no doubt any future ones, the cost divided over the hours spent must work out at pennies.

Not rushing into this one though !

Edited by Trig

Current-

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo

Indeed the cost per hour is minimal if you do the maths.  There are some kits for cross sections out there, but I'm not in a position to recommend any as I haven't done a kit cross-section.  You can go to Kits and there's a pinned post that is searchable for build logs.   Or you can use the search feature at upper right hand side of the home page.   

There is a way out of doing rigging... do it "Admiralty Style" which is stub masts and no rigging.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Admiralty style sounds good!

Though from past experience with other hobbies, by the time i get to the rigging and sails stage with another build, ill be thinking  "it cant be that bad" and try it again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, been using the search feature already, and found a few build logs of the HMS Bounty by Artesania Latina, which is a full boat with part of the side exposed, which looks a nice combination.

Learned alot in the short time ive been browsing this forum, lots of handy tips and information.I think ive spent as much time recently reading threads here as i have building.  Ive forgotten most of it of course, but will definitely be browsing for info here during the next build.

Current-

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo

Thanks for the comments,

Definitely David. When i started on the first one i was all for it, but the enthusiasm kind of withered away after countless hours planking, then picked up again afterwards, then withered away again.  But i hadnt really realised just how much work was involved in wooden models to begin with, so im better prepared for it now, both with better tools and mentally!

I do keep considering buying a mini wood lathe, drill press and scroll saw, would open up scratch builds. Been following some of the Triton builds here, fascinating stuff.

Truthfully the only thing holding me back is my lack of space. So yeah, i can understand how you have to manage your money :)  

Current-

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo

:sign:

Greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum