USS Independence LCS-2 by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:350 - PLASTIC

Time to make her a modest lady! :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

When she went inside the paint booth and got her first coat of gray paint, I was shocked, it looked horrible! Lumpy, bumpy, and just outright horrible. Vallejo Model Air paints. So I was almost persuaded to wash it all off and start over again, except all the photo etch I put on would be ruined if I did that, as I use a water based acrylic glue for PE, not CA. Second thought was to put another wet coat on and just let it sit all night in hopes it would level itself out while drying. 

Bingo! It worked. Completely leveled itself out overnight and averted a disaster. if it hadn't leveled out to look decent, I was ready to scrap the whole model and start over again with a new kit. Whew...close call. 

DSCN1563edit.thumb.jpg.9c3a25a7cb69bf5d3ab8560944ba7ece.jpg

DSCN1564edit.thumb.jpg.1a26230231d4366e57beb49afc2c1885.jpg

At the moment, I am weathering the model with pigments, starting from the bow and working toward the stern. Will add some more pigments and a wash or two to get the effect I want. Hopefully, will get this stage of the pigments finished by the end of the day. 

DSCN1565edit.thumb.jpg.923e73d2b6288374ab2ea89df2606478.jpg 

Edited by CDW
wrong photos

1 hour ago, CDW said:

When she went inside the paint booth and got her first coat of gray paint, I was shocked, it looked horrible! Lumpy, bumpy, and just outright horrible. Vallejo Model Air paints. So I was almost persuaded to wash it all off and start over again, except all the photo etch I put on would be ruined if I did that, as I use a water based acrylic glue for PE, not CA. Second thought was to put another wet coat on and just let it sit all night in hopes it would level itself out while drying. 

Bingo! It worked. Completely leveled itself out overnight and averted a disaster. if it hadn't leveled out to look decent, I was ready to scrap the whole model and start over again with a new kit. Whew...close call. 

DSCN1563edit.thumb.jpg.9c3a25a7cb69bf5d3ab8560944ba7ece.jpg

DSCN1564edit.thumb.jpg.1a26230231d4366e57beb49afc2c1885.jpg

At the moment, I am weathering the model with pigments, starting from the bow and working toward the stern. Will add some more pigments and a wash or two to get the effect I want. Hopefully, will get this stage of the pigments finished by the end of the day. 

DSCN1565edit.thumb.jpg.923e73d2b6288374ab2ea89df2606478.jpg 

Great comeback  -  I feel your pain when paintwork doesnt go to plan,   but its leveled nicely now though.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

20 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Great comeback  -  I feel your pain when paintwork doesnt go to plan,   but its leveled nicely now though.

OC.

It's the worst I ever had this Vallejo paint come out of the bottle. Don't know why. Most people I talk to say they use Vallejo Model Air paint straight from the bottle into their airbrush without any reducer. It doesn't work that way for me through my H&S airbrush. If I use it straight from the bottle, it will clog my airbrush every time...and I have even tried it with a larger needle and seat with the same results. Clogs, spitting, and sputtering. It's hard as heck to find a reduced mix ratio that will spray smoothly out of my airbrush.

I have some AK Interactive paints on order as they are not available locally, but I was too impatient for them to arrive. 

Great job in both the recovery and the weathering. Your weathering  is looking exactly like the pictures! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The contrast adds a lot to the look. I'm glad you went to the darker color. Some of the pictures make the deck look almost as light as the hull. It's really going to pop when you add the landing markers.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

sounds to me like your paint was drying right out of the air brush.  it happens when all of the variables are right.....temp of the paint,  air temp,  vs how much thinner {in your case,  reducer}.......great way to make spatter paint.  are you thinning with water...or something else?  I've been having that problem with my billing's paint.......but that's because the paint is old......can't wait to use it up!  it's an enamel......I'm used to the nuances I sometimes get.   is your air brush a gravity or siphon feed........might also be a factor.

nice paint work on the hull.....the darker tinting really looks nice.   about tying the aircraft down on deck?.......I think that's what all the deck circles are for.

when the aircraft are brought out on deck,  they are lashed in place with short lanyards.....removed before take off.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

19 hours ago, CDW said:

It's the worst I ever had this Vallejo paint come out of the bottle. Don't know why. Most people I talk to say they use Vallejo Model Air paint straight from the bottle into their airbrush without any reducer. It doesn't work that way for me through my H&S airbrush. If I use it straight from the bottle, it will clog my airbrush every time...and I have even tried it with a larger needle and seat with the same results. Clogs, spitting, and sputtering. It's hard as heck to find a reduced mix ratio that will spray smoothly out of my airbrush.

I have some AK Interactive paints on order as they are not available locally, but I was too impatient for them to arrive. 

Vajello does not like me either, I just refuse to use it now. Unless your OCD is soo bad you just have to have exactly the correct colour near enough is good enough. There are so many shades of grey between Tamiya and Mr Colour and other colours they have nearly all you’ll ever need. 

Greg

Looking really smart  you have done a marvelous job on the paintwork and weathering.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I use vallejo with it's own thinner. I add between between 30 & 50% thinner - nearly forgot: in their Air products(!!!) _ when it's hot I add a few drops of their "retarder". I use several airbrushes, amongst others a H&S The only time it clogged in mine was when I used undiluted primer, which wasn't airbrush primer (I saw that later <sigh>). The G class destroyer is painted with vallejo too, only the grey and the primer are Tamiya, since I had that grey paint on the shelf, the rust is vallejo, and mig

Good job, not my shape of ship, glad I found your build log though

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

24 minutes ago, cog said:

I use vallejo with it's own thinner. I add between between 30 & 50% thinner - nearly forgot: in their Air products(!!!) _ when it's hot I add a few drops of their "retarder". I use several airbrushes, amongst others a H&S The only time it clogged in mine was when I used undiluted primer, which wasn't airbrush primer (I saw that later <sigh>). The G class destroyer is painted with vallejo too, only the grey and the primer are Tamiya, since I had that grey paint on the shelf, the rust is vallejo, and mig

Good job, not my shape of ship, glad I found your build log though

Thanks for stopping by Carl.

I believe you are 100% correct about Vallejo paints. In spite of what is said elsewhere about model air paints being airbrush ready, they need 30 - 50% reducer for them to work properly. I have such a large collection of Vallejo paints, it would be too expensive to just give them up. However, I am beginning to experiment with other brands gradually. Problem is, many are not available locally and have to be ordered through the mail. 

On 8/3/2018 at 2:56 AM, RGL said:

Nice work! Looks like a space ship....

Perhaps something for the Space Farce?  :rolleyes:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

36 minutes ago, CDW said:

But here in 2018, this is the norm.

I don't know about normal but there are now 7 in service, 3 fitting out, 4 under construction, and 1 ordered in the class, so there must be something the Navy likes about the design.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

Not many combat ships I know of can operate in 12 feet of water.

There is this one as well:

According to Wikipedia, there are 9 in the class with 6 more to go.

i think this would make an interesting model as well. 

image.png

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Came across this one also.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Craig, we can neither confirm nor deny that has happened here.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild