Proxxon Bench Circular Saw KS115

I bought a used Proxxon Bench Circular Saw KS115, and it works great. But there is one problem with it. When I try to set the fence it tries to cant in at an angle to the blade.  

My thinking is, if the adjustment screw was ground to a center this wouldn't happen. But the way it is made that can't happen. The only way I can think of to fix this is to buy a machine screw and and cut the head off and chuck it up in a drill motor or better yet a lath and dress the end up. Then make a knob for it.

Can anyone think of a better solution? 

Photo the the type saw:

41Vw6wF0dJL.jpg.882815529b6d23a83de14b3cadce338f.jpg

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I bought this saw before the Byrnes' saw came on the market. The original fence is problematic. However, fitted with an Accurizer II fence, the problem is solved.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Brian,

You are "probablyright". Dressing the screw to a point would screw it up for good.

I just now checked to see if there was any debris on any of the surface you mentioned. There was none.

The variance isn't consistent. I did clean the fence and table with no effect. But I did notice pits where the screw made contact with the table. So I used a sanding block and to smooth out the pits.

Now the variance is about 0.5mm across the full length of the fence. I guess for a $50.00 saw, what can one expect. 

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

15 minutes ago, druxey said:

I bought this saw before the Byrnes' saw came on the market. The original fence is problematic. However, fitted with an Accurizer II fence, the problem is solved.

druxey,

This would probably solve the problem. With shipping and all, this would cost 150% of what I paid for the saw. 

At this point I think I can live with 0.5mm tolarance. 

Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

RussR

Oh, sorry: I thought it was the larger saw, which has a similar fence design. But if you can live with the present tolerance, that's OK as well.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The Byrnes saw has an anchor at he distal end of the fence.

With a threaded rod and fittings, you might think about adding to the length and

having an anchor at the other end.  The face that the stock rides along does not need to, should not,

would produce a kickback problem, if it were longer.   But a threaded rod extender should allow the fence

to be anchored at the back of the table.  Aligning the fence with each position is a pain,  but the cost for 

a lower quality tool is your time.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Check that the fence isn't warped and also the deck on the saw itself.  Also, when setting the fence, press down slightly while tightening it into place.  It sounds like you have an air gap between the fence and the deck.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pretty sure it's a design fault I have had this Saw for several years,and also have two fences. I've set a gap with feeler gauges,tightened down on either fence and couldn't remove the feeler gauges without difficulty. It's obviously "toeing in"and this causes binding and burning sometimes when cutting pear or box. Solved my problem,bought it's big brother :)

Dave :dancetl6: 

Same as Dave, the best way to fix KS115 problems is to buy Proxxon FET and advise everybody to do the same. It is a classical example of spending money on a cheaper tool, ending up spending more money on a proper tool. KS115 is, honestly, a junk :( (I had it, upgraded to FET and never looked back).

It is hard to use the table saw if you can't event adjust the blade height, and the precision is super bad (fence alignment, miter gage, etc). You also can't make any sleds for this saw, since there is only one miter channel instead of two. Its real price should be around $30, there are "saws" in this range on AliExpress and Harbour Freight. But they are asking $130 for it 😳

2 hours ago, Mike Y said:

Same as Dave, the best way to fix KS115 problems is to buy Proxxon FET and advise everybody to do the same. It is a classical example of spending money on a cheaper tool, ending up spending more money on a proper tool. KS115 is, honestly, a junk :( (I had it, upgraded to FET and never looked back).

It is hard to use the table saw if you can't event adjust the blade height, and the precision is super bad (fence alignment, miter gage, etc). You also can't make any sleds for this saw, since there is only one miter channel instead of two. Its real price should be around $30, there are "saws" in this range on AliExpress and Harbour Freight. But they are asking $130 for it 😳

This would be great it one had unlimited space and unlimited funds.

For me a KS115 is a big upgrade from a miter box and a hobby saw. 

Thanks for the comment.

RussR

Retired mine some time back. it is now fitted with a blade suitable for metal, rough cutting at that, and lives under my bench waiting for the rare occasions that I cut metal.

I fell foul of the buying cheap and regretting it. lesson learned. I now have a Byrnes.

Mike.

Edited by mikeaidanh
missed caps

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Well, bought mine at a time, when the FET was not dreamt of and I had not knowledge off or access to the US american market - that is, if the Byrnes products actually existed at the beginning of the 1990s. At that time I wouldn't have been able to afford the FET and it is considerably bigger than the KS115

This fence-alignment problem is partly a design issue and partly due to manufacturing tolerances. Early on I made a fence-extension from extruded aluminium channel that can be clamped to the other end of the table.

I also screwed down onto the saw table a thin sheet of aluminium to reduce the gab between the blade and the table.

I don't do that much of sawing, so I can live with it (more or less).

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg