QUEEN ANNE BARGE by Chuck Seiler - Syren Shipmodel Co. - Scale 1:24 - circa 1705

Greetings from San Diego

I am building Chuck Passaro's QUEEN ANNE BARGE and I figured I would do a build log.  If you are reading this, it means I am half finished.  I wanted to wait until I had significant progress before I published.  My past efforts at logs usually turned out poorly.  I get bogged down trying to document the build and end up getting distracted from actually building.

Today is 08 July 2018.  (Your calendar is different.) A grueling 7 months at work has come to an end (the grueling part, not the work) and I figured I would celebrate by getting back into building.

I chose the QAB for a couple reasons.  I really like Chuck's instructions.  I have made or am in the process of several models which Chuck has written practica for.  I also have used his "stuff" (line, blocks, windlass, etc).  Top notch material.  I wanted to do the MEDWAY LONGBOAT he is working on, but that will not be available for awhile.  I couldn't wait that long.  I decided to give QAB a try because of the quality and because many of the processes he uses for it will be found in the LONGBOAT.  Another reason, although minor is a family connection I found with the Queen Anne period while doing ancestry research.  I won't go into detail unless somebody is interested.

I ordered the kit about 2.5 weeks ago.  As usual, Chuck shipped it to me immediately and I have been studying the plans and instructions since (as well as other build logs).  The build is finally underway.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Day 2 of the build and I have completed 6 frames and mostly have the keel done (more on that later).  As I have a tendency to go off the beaten path, I appreciate Chuck's warnings "DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!" in bold red letters.  I will pay close attention to those. 

Nothing exciting to report so far, but I did want to make a couple points about the keel:

1.  I really liked JpR62's (Jean-Paul) idea about using a 1/32 piece of scrap to offset the inner keel piece.  I used some scrap wood from one of the plank sheets.  After testing, I found I had to sand it a wee bit thinner, but it worked great.  Thanks Jean-Paul.

593070188_JpR62stemplan.JPG.97dec09ba8bf2a9d97c3cb53e9d01b6b.JPG

From JpR62's  buildlog

2.  I have issues with both the stem area and stern area.  To accommodate these, I modified my build order so that I essentially built the keel in two pieces.  The scarf joint is so precisely made that the two pieces should join together very easily (we shall see).   Chuck's instructions regarding adding the inner keel to the outer keel makes this do-able.

The instructions say to taper the stem and keel pieces before assembling.  My concern is that if I do that, the pieces will not lay flat and I will not get a good joint.  On the other hand, if I glue all four pieces together and attempt to taper, this is a recipe for snapping the keel.  Assembling the forward part of the keel and the aft part of the keel separately solves this problem (I hope).

I am not wild about sternpost/aft keel joint.  To my view it affords too little support for the joint.  I am too lazy to do alternative.  I glued the sternpost to the aft keel using inner keel piece as a guide.  All was clamped in place to ensure adequate alignment.  Once dried, I used scrap piece to offset inner keel (the center it in the keel assembly).  Glue in place.  This results in a strong assembly.   I can now taper.  

55679341_2piecekeel.thumb.JPG.ac60caea1cf4c0a2ea956815f5b0e124.JPG

Bow and stern keel assemblies

2108920836_1piecekeel.thumb.JPG.a5bbbc1e94140f05258cf81708a44d15.JPG

Here both halves of the keel structure have been glued together and the center piece of the inner keel (with slots) has been added.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Really nice start. I wish you the same fun to build the small model that I have

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Very nicely done....its a really fun project to build.  Enjoy the process and as I have mentioned before....I love to see what all of you guys decide to do with the model.  Its a great solid foundation for adding so much more and making it your own unique model...

I am actually laser cutting more of these today!!!

Chuck

I hope to do you proud.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I have had the opportunity to look at my frames a little closer.  Two of them are a bit off and I have to un-glue/re-glue them.  I think the problem is that I wasn't lining the batten up correctly with the line on the frame.  Bad eyes!!! :stunned:  I have to find my magnifiers before I continue.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Magnifiers have been found!!!! :cheers:

Frame assembly continues and they look much better.  I have unglued the bad frames and re-glued.  Frame D broke and I had to repair. :angry:

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck,

Thanks, but no need.  Repaired and back on the road.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I have done a bit of work and am now going back and documenting. 

The next step was placing the frames into the build board.  Almost all were overly tight.  I tried to sand them so they were not too tight, but also not loose.  At first they were fine, but as I repeatedly inserted and pulled, testing the fits, the frames ended up getting looser with the working of the wood.  I should have used Chuck's "blue tape" solution.  They ended up being sloppier than I would have liked.  We shall what impact, if any, this will have.

Another problem I had was with the keel joints.  Chuck said not to sand the char from the slots, so I didn't...kind of.  The frames were all too wide and needed to be thinned in order to fit in the lots.  I made a single pass with an emery board to get the big chunks of char, but otherwise left the slots alone.  I tried to be careful not to sand the frames too much so that there would be a tight fit.  My experience with the frame tops was fresh in my mind.  Test fit of frames individually and as a group proved successful, however when I applied the glue dab for the final placement the frames did not insert fully into the slot.  Something expanded.  😞 I let the assembly dry 24 hours and tested it.  There was still some wobble in the frame-to-keel joint so I gave each joint a shot of CA glue.  It doesn't look as good as I would like, but I have a plan.  🔨

48612405_fared1.thumb.JPG.c1e0d5d477a869717cb231709cd7ab5f.JPG

Faring begins.  I am just getting around to reading Chuck's build log on the Medway Longboat in detail.  I like the idea of tape reinforcement on the frames.  I wish I read it sooner.  The assembly is quite delicate, so slow and easy

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

At this point I want to make a declaration.  We will see how well it works out.  Before I started building I decided I wanted to strengthen the keel area.  I won't get into details here but I anyone is interested, I can explain later.  The plan was/is to install the garboard strake.  In retrospect, it will not only provide strength, it may help with the unsightly keel joints.

Making it won't be a problem (famous last words).  What to use is.  My original plan was to get some 1/32" boxwood and use it for the garboard strakes as well as the 2 unpainted strakes, using the existing planks as templates. That way all the exposed planking would be the same.  As a lazy SOB I am rethinking.  Plan B is to use extra planking material for the GS.  That will depend on what the GS needs to look like and how many planks I break (and where).  After all, I don't need to use cherry for the PAINTED strakes.  I will have a better idea once I make a template for the GS.  Hold that thought.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Faring of the hull has been pretty much completed.  I still have a little touch up to do, but that is minor.  I think Chuck refers to medium grit sand paper. I started off using 120.  Later, in reading the Medway Longboat log I noticed he mentioned using finer grit. I switched to 220 and had easier time of it.  Less 'grab' on the sides.  I had to change paper more often, but the results were better.

fared 2.JPG

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I am spending the rest of the weekend on some side projects. 

First, I am testing out different stains that I intend using on the keel and unpainted planking.  I like the "Golden Pecan" I used for the interior of my PHILADELPHIA.  That was on boxwood.  We'll see how it works on cherry.  I am also considering "Natural".

Next, I am laying out the lines for the garboard strake to see if the scrap cherry (or spare planking) supplied in the kit will suffice or if I need to go with plan B.

Due to the nature of the scrap available I will have to use 3 planks in the strake.  The center plank is an easy straight run.  In the below picture, I have applied blue painters tape to the areas that will be most complicated. 

garboard1.thumb.JPG.9646dcb53a0755452259fca61cec8aec.JPG

garboard1b.thumb.JPG.f6475163aeed92a580f429ac6d1667f5.JPG

Close up of stern area.

I removed the tape and stuck both pieces to a 3x5 card, then cut out each form.  They are both pretty straight, no upward curve.  This makes it easier (and options of wood more).  I fitted both bow and stern to both sides.  Almost perfect fits.  It will be easy to fabricate (he sez).

The below picture shows the stern plank fitted and clamped in place.  It has been soaked and clamped in place to dry.

716389493_garboard2.thumb.JPG.dc0988bab1466ec40f742854b1354c6f.JPG

Huzzah!!!  First plank in place.  I will do the other side, then wait until I have all the rest of the exterior planking done before proceeding with the rest of the garboard strakes.  I won't know what 'lumber' is available until I get the planking done...with or without snapping the planks.

630612040_garboard3.thumb.JPG.2609dda73d1786ac453afeabc92e83e4.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Regular planking begins.  I had to slightly sand the frame edges to remove traces of Polywipe.  The location of the bottom of the lowest plank was marked per Chuck's instructions.  Planks 1 and 2, port and starboard were cleaned up and top edge beveled.  This is important to get right since the next plank will lay flush with the bevel.  A clean bevel will avoid gaps.

Planks 1 port and starboard were soaked, then clamped into place to dry.  They are very flexible and handle the twist easily.  I will take my time to hopefully avoid errors.

433043178_Plank1.thumb.JPG.52ce076c554a0e17475dbe7de466a549.JPG

First strake is in place.

1628757649_Plank11.thumb.JPG.511475ffb93a7c4fc446c2eb792b56c6.JPG

Bow on shot.  The lower stake on both sides are in place.  In this picture they appear to be uneven, but in real life they line up fine..

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thanks to all for tuning in.

Chuck, how was Philly?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Working on second strake using highly sophisticated clamping system. 

rubberbandclamp.thumb.JPG.7fbbd6ae2a4fa3643b0f0abd744ff362.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

It was very nice....bitter sweet because its always tough dropping off your only daughter at college.  Having said that......she wants me to drive down and bring her back home for labor day.....

Nice clamping system...very hi tech.  But be careful as the frames are still quite fragile.  Too much force on those and the frames will break.

Chuck

I had more problems with twisting than breaking.  No breaks so far, except that previously noted.  You see how I have the RBs set up to clamp the plank to the transom.  It ended up twisting the transom. I had to unglue the plank and go with plan B.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

For the record, Plan B was leave plank 2 unattached to the transom until plank 2 is complete on both sides.  Use the rubberband method to clamp the plank to the curvey transom.  The offsetting twists balance out.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Honestly though I didnt see any reason for a need to clamp the planking at the stern at all.   I pre twist off the model and then just glue the strakes on with CA.  No clamping or rubber bands needed.  Clamping causing more issues than it helps on a delicate model like this.   Its not as sturdy as a POB or large frigate.   You dont need to use a hair dryer like I do but any heat source or mold will do the trick.   

firstplankon.jpg

bendplanktwo.jpg

bendplank.jpg

Chuck

If I had gone the CA glue route I wouldn't have had to clamp.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Progress continues.  Planking almost complete.

838612083_plankingbowon.thumb.JPG.841586c196cdf61dd8874f54a11a81e1.JPG

Bow-on shot showing planking completion.  Upper three strakes complete as well as the garboard strake on the right side...or what we in the planking business call the starboard garboard.  You see larboard garboard in progress.

104943523_plankingport.thumb.JPG.c8c164ce8d631ef2d213a4fae84b6030.JPG 181325784_plankingstbd.thumb.JPG.272d8ae30f6cab1196ed3ae369f34d39.JPG

Side view.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

The turtle has turned into a tub.  The barge has been removed from the buildboard and bulkheads removed.

Free1.thumb.JPG.3ecfa6c2429539e5dc880c5832cb0107.JPG

Free2.thumb.JPG.bc26efda6b53ede8749238299afbe44c.JPG

As part of the process, 2 of the frames broke free from the planking.  I guess I didn't glue very well.    In the picture below I have reglued and clamped in place

1216733342_fixingframe.thumb.JPG.bdb7a532f7a8eeec9a6a17aa580aeab5.JPG

All fixed and nestled in its handy dandy cradle.

2028976959_freeincradle.thumb.JPG.ec7b5591eef7c64d6c07797614f910d7.JPG

Let the sanding and smoke & mirrors begin.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I had all sorts of problems trying to get the flying transom seated in the existing planking.  I decided to place a spacer aft of the true transom, then glue in the flying transom.  So far so good.  Avert your eyes from the glue gobs.

spacer.thumb.JPG.757a39866a7fac0b8524d4b5b54a376b.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Spacer has been removed and the transom cleaned up.  Part of the port side caprail installed.

flytran1.thumb.JPG.a6057d9a9a5cfcebe028ba28e0602476.JPG

The curve below the flying transom still needs to be cleaned up, but it doesn't look right.  I don't like the way the plank ends are just flapping around in the breeze.  It seems like there should be edging or a fashion piece.  I know it will be covered with decorative carving, but....

flytran2.thumb.JPG.e9ddbe8bb6a8a272755aaac590837812.JPG

Plank ends cleaned up but it still doesn't look right.  (Wipe on Poly applied.  It looks a whole lot shinier with a flash.  That shine will eventually go away.)

flytran3.thumb.JPG.769e1e750c7eb1c692130b98a05fa961.JPG

flytran4.thumb.JPG.027fd5693ea021fd5b76c4baf8660345.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

As an aside, I am liking the colour I am getting from the Wipe On Poly (although the bird ain't real happy :bird-vi: ).  I may not need to stain.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

CAPRAILS.  Here you see how I clamped down the caprails in the bow area.  I would do similarly amidship (amidboats) and aft.

caprail1c.thumb.JPG.b082e937c3a6924f8f34f47716cd2f4f.JPGcaprail1b.thumb.JPG.3aff94aae76e52c602b4a9ceefdeb29f.JPG

Overhead shot of forward caprail in place

capail1a.thumb.JPG.9876062c6903f8a1689542bbbecaa41e.JPG

Below, caprails in place and trimmed down.  I need to trim the area next tothe stem.  I like the way the flare looks, but it is not supportive of future planking.  The "ears" should fix this.  I have started the floorboards, although in a back asswards fashion.

caprail2a.thumb.JPG.0b748ba4152edacc7a58cee2b08a409d.JPG

caprail2b.thumb.JPG.f287293c4967cfe59ed53b0a9cad57b1.JPG

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild