Cool old sail ship request for info please

Muskies

Hello from Acton Ontario

Canada. My name is John and new to this forum and model ships however I find it all very intriguing to say the least at the detail and craftsmanship that goes into these prices of history. I Purchased this from one of my antique dealers, he tells me it’s from the 50’s I disagree thinking it’s older however we both could be wrong, I’ve done lots of online research and came up empty the closest I found was a cutty sark. Any info and maybe a value of this wonderful model ship would be much appreciated. Measures 36” in length and 30” in height beautifully carved out pieces such as the life boat, rudder, helm, hanging lamps and so on, I’ve attached some photo’s.Thanks in advance.

D84858A5-5DE4-4452-A3EE-8F2D1F4EF300.jpeg

84813007-9672-40FB-BA3C-91D5EAD31BE0.jpeg

5C445CF6-F220-4442-BB33-5C251A39EE79.jpeg

3817DC58-585B-4993-8837-13991AFB474A.jpeg

7F51EE39-8D06-4868-9CA9-CB1FC9E74EDB.jpeg

1416090D-2ED0-4A05-A5F8-E044C84BEAE4.jpeg

A1E74DFD-F2B4-4EB1-89A2-F4F4BD80B38E.jpeg

59E10BED-8ACD-4066-8C9E-D8E270578EAF.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
Add intro and greeting

Sorry to disappoint you , but it's a relatively modern, mass produced 'decorative' model (probably from the Far East) that does not resemble any real ship. It's a total fantasy vessel.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

16 minutes ago, druxey said:

Sorry to disappoint you , but it's a relatively modern, mass produced 'decorative' model (probably from the Far East) that does not resemble any real ship. It's a total fantasy vessel.

Hi druxey. Thanks for your input and clarification, I was thinking it was a piece of folk art.

I agree this is a gift shop model. It looks like someone recently put some time into freshening it up. The “rigging” is new and the base it sits on looks like it was repourposed from something else.

As a Gift Shop Model it’s value is low. As mentioned above, they are produced quickly and inexpensively and don’t look like any particular ship even though they will often have the names of real ships painted on them. The “details” on Gift Shop Models reflect the available resources at hand when they are built and have little or nothing to do with the details of actual ships. For instance the rows of windows in this model don’t reflect any actual ship, the builder was simply sawing out windows to add “detail”.

there’s nothing unethical or “wrong” about folk art Gift Shop Models. They fill a vital nich since they make  ship models available to those that can’t afford a “real” one. Ethical issues crop up though when Gift Shop Models are hyped as representing more than what they are, it’s not uncommon to see Gift Shop Models described as being “Museum Quality”. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks everybody for your input much appreciated!! I like the model regardless however my kids are having a yard sale today and I decided to give it to them to sell and they keep the proceeds.

Very happy to say that cheep fake fantasy model was sold for $535 in a bidding war between three people in the first hour, not bad for a $50 initial investment. I tried to explain that it’s worth isn’t much in my opinion but they gobbled it up anyways. Again thanks to all who commented on it. My Dad and I built a large model kit thirty five years ago which I still have displayed on the wall so I figure it’s time for anothers to go with the few others purchased over the years. Next week I’ll draw up the schematics and gather what’s needed with the piles of hardwood and softwood materials left over from previous projects. Any advise on materials to work with would be a great help, glues,rigging etc:  

I have two project idea’s in mind, one of an old war sailship and one of a pirates vessel. Most likely start on the warship first..cannons standing guard.

Muskies,  As they say, you’re in good company.  In today’s Wall Street Journal, in their Off Duty section there is a piece describing decoration of a house in Gloucester, MA.  In a sidebar titled “Bits that evoke the Sleeper McCann house” they show an ugly, crude “1900’s Folk Art Ship Model” that bears little resemblance to any real or imagined vessel.  Price:  $695.

Roger

Welcome to MSW, 

Sort out which ship you want to build and then look around MSW for either the ship you select or one similar.  There's some excellent kits available and also scratch building your own.  MSW is a great resource for help and sharing your experience with others.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 8/4/2018 at 5:19 PM, Muskies said:

Very happy to say that cheep fake fantasy model was sold for $535 in a bidding war between three people in the first hour, not bad for a $50 initial investment.

Your children can sell very well ;)

And 

:722972270:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

London presumably (not tower bridge ha)

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Brooklyn or Rainbow ????? ;);)

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Brooklyn or Rainbow ????? ;);)

On the contrary, it was by far a scam or sold by a con artist, I just placed it roadside with best offer and in they came on their own with offers, I’m sure if I had held off a little longer or posted it online for sale in the garage sale, the kids could have fetched a greater number but their happy with what they got as am I whom got a case of beer out of it! 😉right back at you’s.