1/32 Orient Express Sleeping Car 1929, by Amati

Firstly, my thanks to Amati for sending this kit out to be reviewed and built here at MSW.

The Orient Express 1929 Sleeping Car comes in a very large and heavy box which is chock full of laser-cut timber, brass/silver-nickel photo-etch, cast and turned parts, trip wood, brass section lengths, decals, etc. and two amazing glossy instruction manuals. You'll need a few basic tools for this, such as a good bench vice, craft knives, metal files and small drill bits, screwdrivers and pliers. Optional items are a soldering iron and a blowtorch. You will need some abrasive paper, superglue and some good wood glue. 

Work starts by removing the two thick plywood chassis frames from their sheets and gluing them together.

DSC_8525.JPG

From here, the photo etch chassis frames are added with superglue and bolted together amidships. You will find a lot of holes in the photo-etch, need to be drilled out for the two different sizes of bolt that are supplied in this kit.

DSC_8528.JPG

Brass strip is added to each side of the chassis whilst the frame is dry-sat on the ply platform. This creates a recess into which the platform with later sit.

DSC_8529.JPG

The platform is now finally glued into place and clamped so that it's totally flat.

DSC_8534.JPG

A mixture of 50:50 PVA and water is applied to the underside of the chassis, sealing it in readiness for the paint.

DSC_8557.JPG

Games Workshop 'Chaos Black' is now sprayed over the underside, using a rattle-can. I did try airbrushing this, but it was too big a job, and the coverage of this spray paint is amazing. It also dries very quickly.

DSC_8559.JPG

It was now time to open up some of the small bags of fittings. Her you see the buffer suspension. These needed to be drilled out to allow them to plug together. As they are cast, this was an easy task.

DSC_8560.JPG

The buffer suspension units are now fitted to the chassis ends. 

DSC_8564.JPG

Underneath the chassis are fitted a compressed gas tank and some battery boxes. You will find that heating up the brass for the tank will help it to be bent far more easily. 

DSC_8565.JPG

Here you can see the completed tank and battery boxes. Solder was used for the main joint, and superglue for the rest. Note that one box had to have ply feet added as the legs were too short.

DSC_8566.JPG

The battery boxes and tank are now fitted.

DSC_8571.JPG

The photo-etch in this model can be quite thick, and in some cases, almost 1mm thick. You will need a saw to cut through the main tags.

DSC_8573.JPG

The first bogey took me 3 days to get to this stage. I found that adding heat to the part before bending made it WORSE! Don't do it! Learn from my mistake and use careful and selective bending techniques to make this. I went through this pain so you don't have to. Small nuts and bolts are used to fasten things together.

DSC_8578.JPG

More cast parts for the suspension here, and yes, more drilling out to make the various pins etc. fit into place. Note with this first bogey, I was painting things as I went along.

DSC_8580.JPG

...including the main frame:

DSC_8582.JPG

Cast and turned parts are included for the wheels and axles etc.

DSC_8583.JPG

More brass parts for the braking mechanism.

DSC_8585.JPG

Complete with all paint chips, here is the completed bogie. Total construction time was ONE WHOLE WEEK!!

DSC_8704.JPG

However, after learning from my mistakes, I built the second bogie in only SIX HOURS!

DSC_8709.JPG

Both bogies were now spray painted in black.

DSC_8710.JPG

Uschi van der Rosten steel weathering pigments were now used to weather the bogies and chassis. More weathering will be added when the track is complete.

DSC_8712.JPG

DSC_8714.JPG

Fitting the Head A & B ply floor sections proved troublesome as the underlying photo-etch made them too thick. I reduced the thickness of these by half.

DSC_8716.JPG

Head A & B bulkheads were fitted by the temporary help of the carriage end bulkheads. 

DSC_8719.JPG

With these in place, the internal frames were now completed, and the side wall test-fitted.

DSC_8722.JPG

Each cabin floor was now test-fitted:

DSC_8725.JPG

...including the corridor floor:

DSC_8726.JPG

Pritt Stick was used to affix the paper carpet parts to the floor sections.

DSC_8731.JPG

And the floor sections finally glued into position.

DSC_8727.JPG

More soon!!!!

The tracks look pretty disappointing for what otherwise looks like a quality kit (& build).

Maybe this is something that can be easily fixed through a rail model supplier.

If I purchase this I would think of a diorama with the carriage at a platform but I assume this is a pretty big kit already.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

1 hour ago, Richmond said:

The tracks look pretty disappointing for what otherwise looks like a quality kit (& build).

Maybe this is something that can be easily fixed through a rail model supplier.

If I purchase this I would think of a diorama with the carriage at a platform but I assume this is a pretty big kit already.

Imagine a Diorama with this and a 1/32 Luxury Ocean Schooner/Yacht both together 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  imagine doing a G scale of it!  I'm sure this will have enough detail already :)   looks awesome so far.   how did you thin down the floor bulkhead.....water?  you must have the bench of my dreams...........lonnnnnnnng! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, this scale of car can run on G Gauge tracks, possibly with different trucks. The trucks in this kit look to be very high quality materials. The skills of we builders decides how well it operates on the tracks.  A club I belong to has an outdoor layout and runs 1/32 down to 1/20.3 scales. Some incongruities in the scales, but the club members are good with these cars, etc.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I’m a huge fan of the 1974 Albert Finney film. Will you be using that remarkable film as a reference material? The interior scenes were shot on a soundstage but I wonder how closely the art department followed the actual trains appearance? Sad to hear of the passing of Mr Finney. I regard his performance in that film as being one of the most remarkable portrayals of a character in the history of cinema. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

nice!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...