Sea Witch 1846 by Risati - scale 1:72 - clipper ship – John Griffiths design

Twenty years after obtaining plans for the Sea Witch from Melbourne Smith* and then turning them into 3-D computer aided design components, I have actually cut wood and embarked on construction of the model.  Smith had concluded, that due to missing plans, there had never been built a truly accurate model of the Sea Witch.  He did research and found Griffith’s original set of offsets and drew up plans accordingly.  I hope my efforts may result in a more accurate representation of the ship than had here-to-fore been built.

* Melbourne Smith, died March 9, 2018, was a renowned for building replicas on historic sailing ships including the Baltimore clipper Pride of Baltimore, the topsail schooner, Californian, the brig, Niagara and the 1812 privateer, Lynx.  He had planned to build a replica of the Sea Witch for sesquicentennial of the California 1849 gold rush.  Sadly, that project failed to materialize.

Reference:

Smith, Melbourne “To See Which Sea Witch,” Nautical Research Journal, Vol.26, Num. 1, March 1980 55-62.

Frame test.JPG

Frame test 7.JPG

Frame 1.JPG

Many years ago I built a glass and mahogany case for a model of the Sea Witch that a friend owned his model was very well made. so I shall follow along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like an interesting project. I will have to join the group in following along. Happy building! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Clippers have been my favorite for over 46 years and that is all I model...I have built the Revell and Monogram 1/96 version several times...  But the kits are limited..in all media and in vessel models....so I build from scratch.  I am looking forward to your log. The Sea Witch was ground breaking in her design.

Good luck.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 1 month later...

First, a little history: Like many of us in the ship modeling community, as a lad I enjoyed building models, usually from plastic kits.  These were fun and okay, but I wanted to do something a little more interesting, so I embarked on building a 1:96 scale, full-rigged clipper ship.  I had almost no knowledge of available resources or of the broad community of ship modelers. Among the resources I did not have were an adequate set of plans. My inspiration came from Björn Landström’s The Ship: an Illustrated History, published in 1961. This book is a treasure, in which there is a wonderful perspective line drawing of Cutty Sark, with all sails set. That picture was my primary resource.

The model’s hull was carved from a redwood post, an enjoyable wood to work with, soft and having a fragrance of peaches, but probably not the best material for building a ship model.  Fully-rigged, including sails, the project took nine years, but I completed it. During that time learned of existence of Model Shipways, where I obtained a copy of Ben Larkin’s first plans for the clipper Flying Fish, and discovered the ready availability of many fittings, which proved a godsend.

The result is the work of a nautical enthusiast rather than of a skilled and knowledgeable craftsman, but it has some charm and still rests proudly on my mantle.  Sadly, I had used a very fine steel wire to strop the blocks and in the fullness of time, these have rusted through resulting in a cascade of “Irish pennants”.  And having never been in a case, the model has become among the world’s most sneeze-inducing dust bunnies.   image.png.af4514ab90725ed885a5b60ad1780cc4.png

A large-scale, possibly builder's model of the Sea Witch is on display at the Museum of the City of New York.1403995805_MCNY1.thumb.JPG.35f272a03287b87d26e38d18f9d8a29f.JPGUntitled-2.thumb.JPG.0cde7417196cdabd19e51886d9f14ad3.JPG1582871835_MCNY3.thumb.JPG.da25408a3cdf09c71d3a276c26cea2c8.JPG

Another fine 1:48 scale model, built by C. G. Davis in 1936, and at Mystic, CT

DSCN0970.thumb.JPG.6698506a5a4b2a94add72cddb189fb5c.JPG

A third notable model of the Sea Witch, was I believe a Scientific model, that resided in the Oval Office during John F. Kennedy's administration.

MO79189.jpg.a81e68d40ea9a678af8a530274eafdf8.jpg

Edited by Risati

Yeah....look at that dead rise........

Can't wait for some wood to start moving.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 years later...

I have a recently retired friend thats beginning to collect the materials and making some special tools to begin a build. His plan is to have me help him set it up for remote control. He plans on this thing being 6' in length and has spent $200 on plans printed on mylar which was a scan from the Davis book. I was hoping that I could acquire a copy of you 3d cad rendering of the ship to aid in his build. Thanks, Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I was a close personal friend of Melbourne Smith. I worked with him for many years trying to obtain financing to build a replica of SEA WITCH. I also located John W. Griffiths unmarked grave in Queens NY. I was able to raise money to erect a headstone in his honor. 

Can you contact me? I would like to obtain a copy of his digitized drawings if possible. I also have other information to share. 

Matt Carmel

973-650-5282 text

mcarmel@2aholdings.com

• 2 months later...