USS Arizona by popeye the sailor - Revell - 1:426 scale - PLASTIC

I've been milling over this model long enough........now I went and done it!  assembly has begun.   actually,  it started a couple of weeks ago,  but I was try to get an idea of what I could do,  in dressing her up.   I bought the kit a month or so ago............I remember building this kit in my younger days.  I thought it had a wonky way of assembly back then....and I still think so today ;)   research on this model has been tough.......this particular model ranks lower than the Trumpeter 1:200 kit {and even that is subject to debate}......there are some 1:350 scale kits out there that rank even higher.   info on this kit lacks as well..........after market just scratches the surface with gun barrels and bare bone PE.  I call it that because there are some aspects that are not included in the PE kit.  at first,  I was all set to do a poor review on this kit........but now that I've had a chance to delve into it,  there is a silver lining.   for another model that I'm building,  I purchased the PE set for the HMS Hood,  and some of it can be used on this kit {even though it's a 1:350 set}.   I ordered the PE set for the catapults and cranes.......but I didn't take into consideration that there were no railings in the kit {the price should have given it away}.   after some measuring and comparison.......I can use the hood set for them as well.  the two glaring downsides to this model,  lies in how it assembles,  and how few parts there are in this kit.  this kit has only 133 parts,  compared to the Trumpeter kit,  which has over 1,048 parts.  this doesn't even include the PE or add ons you may want to include.   don't bother looking for a wooden deck for the Revell kit,  because there isn't one.   I can't fathom that.........a kit that's been around since 1959,  and no one has developed a wooden deck for it!   a lot of detail is molded....the railings, various deck fittings,  and anchor chain,  are just to name a few.   but,  with a little imagination,  these issues can be modified and corrected.   how the superstructures are assembled is another stumbling block........the mating joints run through the portholes,  meaning part of the structure walls,  are on both parts of the deck levels.   this will make it harder to add doors and porthole enhancements.   it has been a long time since I've done modifications to a plastic kit......but we'll give it a go.   there are no logs here on MSW.......and there are scant logs anywhere else.   it's my pleasure to be the first :) 

it sounds like i'm being hard on this kit........but don't let it throw ya.   I enjoy an old kit 🔨⛏️⚒️

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bring it on mate  - im in.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC and those who hit the like button :)  welcome.........your hopefully going to enjoy what I'm gonna do to this kit  ;)   icky mae.....:ph34r:   I just went through some technical difficulties........I just got back on.   dunno what happened?!?!?!?!   

we start off with the usual kit contents........this won't take very long ;)   as mentioned,  the kit was produced in 1959........the molds haven't seen any tooling,  since there is a good amount of flash.   the edges and corners are not that crisp either,  so some attention will be paid to that.  when I bought the kit,  I thought that the kit may have been retooled....I was wrong.   the box art remained the same throughout it entire release.......here is the box art fresh out off the starting line.

1427489521_RevellH348-198Arizones.JPG.837004700a81e39eab612186d37c60c4.JPG

they put out another scale as well.....1:720,  back in 1969.   a second box update occurred in 2009..........here is the latest one that stole my heart 💘

1734970889_1.jpg.641fd24a43c6018b269af621ea99dcf4.jpg

not too much of a change.......no blueprint seal of approval and they moved the logo.   still inaccurate stuff here......they show a single fixed wing plane,  but in the box,  they supply biplanes.   likely the art.......nothing more.  opening the box.......we see good 'ole gray  :) 

597057128_2.jpg.83f66cdb98eff0083aa3c119a027bd45.jpg

the hull halves have the molded railings.........they will be coming off.   drill out the port holes........maybe the hawse holes for the paravanes as well.

924490582_3.jpg.cf854c52841050770c60a026608f0cc7.jpg

the model measures 17 inches long,  so it's a fairly decent size model.   next are the main deck parts.  paravanes are molded to the #2 barbette top, located on the second level deck.   wish I could do something about them.   I could try and replace them with some from a 1:350 scale kit,  but I think they would be too big scale wise.   I might not be able to get them off intact.   the ten 5" guns that are encased in the superstructure are somewhat inaccurate......not much I can do about it,  so they will have to be as they are.   in quite a few pictures I've seen,  these openings are supposed to look like a pill box,  with the gun sticking out of them.   I believe Trumpeter molded them in this fashion.

1180952918_4.jpg.52e9b768c48169184eff01fa8b1ff453.jpg

...then the superstructure parts........again......molded railings.  I've seen other kits with PE railings,  and I like how they look.   I need to remove flash and pin marks as well.  there is one small structure that is not present on the second level deck {pictures above}.......it locates between the two standing structures on the deck......I will try to add it.   I haven't looked to see how visible it is.....I'll get into that later.   the sea planes are here too....... on the box,  it states that they are Vought O2U biplanes.   I haven't read anything to clarify this........unless they are referring to the SO3C Seamew,  but they were short lived because they were too slow.  the first plane to leave her deck,  was a Nieuport 28C fighter,  back in 1920........she only had one catapult back then........the second catapult added at Norfork, 1933.   this varies because the catapult atop turret #3  had never been fully installed.  

1864727678_5.jpg.c5db7afffeb5dce88e1b9a385411c40a.jpg

then,  the armament sprue............the single stack in here as well.

1939377465_6.jpg.f438374394db0f6b21328e6f612700bc.jpg

the ship's boats and fighting tops {slices} are on the next sprue.   this is another example of the assembly issue.........when they are put together,  you may see what I mean {if I don't figure out something first ;) 

665085559_7.jpg.8e9a74f67845ea0c2f1fa863d9d8e9da.jpg

oh dear........much more to cover........and the admiral wants supper.   grill time for me ;)    well.....not much more to show,  except a decal sheet that I will need to add decals for the planes {they are lacking}.....and of course,  the instructions.

416613241_8.jpg.42c1d6327ddcfb0ea4233f65fedcf4d7.jpg

here are the cranes and mast parts....as well as the big guns.  the catapults were on the first sprue,  I think.   I have PE for them......the cranes,  and some other detail.   what I see she needs,  I will add from the Hood PE.    should be a hoot!  :) 

32561014_9.jpg.3d2b77db475df45cf0aaa86f8fa2cf5f.jpg

no insignias - early American Navy.    I've also been taking notes....... 

1733593190_10.jpg.ea4d0dc5bf9eac4b57229e3f4e8a7546.jpg

OK......well supper time beckons.   there is more.........I will be back in a jiffy  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

What would help a lot visualy would be to do the same as I did - scrape and thin down the thickness of the plastic where the armour shields are around gun placements on the deck areas (on the insides),  I did this on my warspite and it worked quite well.

And for armour plates on the hull  - I still sware by thin paper cut into narrow strips and stuck down with pva,  it worked ok on mine as long as the primer seals them in.

Just a few ideas for you denis.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

the armor isn't that thick really...........some areas I'm going to be removing anyway.   I have a couple tutorials that I'm going to follow.......one of them is the Trumpeter kit,  and it shows the PE very well.   that will be a huge help  ;)   for the hull,  I'm not going to do too much.......I did some of it recently.

that's what sparked me to start the log.

anywaay.........what else.   I've been pick'in at it for the last couple of weeks.......as mentioned,  seeing what I can alter or add.   I've done some edge trimming........I'm sure everyone has trimmed the slight flash lip along these edges,  to sharpen them up.    I wanted to see how tall the railings were from the deck.  I was in the process of finding add ons for her.    a suggestion led me to Tom's Modelworks.   the hull was cemented together.

634314383_1.jpg.002b8c01cd7001029755c0f5a205af94.jpg

or course,  I trapped the rudder in it's place,  so it would be movable.   either I get a rudder that flaps around freely and loose........or I get one that sticks.........I had to get the latter.  I had to clear around it so it would move better.   then of course,  the hull was warped........I cemented the bow and stern to line it up,  and then glued the center as I taped it together.   I still ended up with a bit of a gap.

494052465_2.jpg.a60a8a610603f4d333d62be159d421e0.jpg

inside the hull,  I took pieces of sprue and bridged the halves together.

1882748078_3.jpg.422ffe755cf64792a72ebc277417b3c2.jpg

your gonna love where they etched the logo..........

767331089_4.jpg.71fb55fca5fe8447bfb8220118d30d3e.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

21 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the armor isn't that thick really...........some areas I'm going to be removing anyway.   I have a couple tutorials that I'm going to follow.......one of them is the Trumpeter kit,  and it shows the PE very well.   that will be a huge help  ;)   for the hull,  I'm not going to do too much.......I did some of it recently.

that's what sparked me to start the log.

anywaay.........what else.   I've been pick'in at it for the last couple of weeks.......as mentioned,  seeing what I can alter or add.   I've done some edge trimming........I'm sure everyone has trimmed the slight flash lip along these edges,  to sharpen them up.    I wanted to see how tall the railings were from the deck.  I was in the process of finding add ons for her.    a suggestion led me to Tom's Modelworks.   the hull was cemented together.

634314383_1.jpg.002b8c01cd7001029755c0f5a205af94.jpg

or course,  I trapped the rudder in it's place,  so it would be movable.   either I get a rudder that flaps around freely and loose........or I get one that sticks.........I had to get the latter.  I had to clear around it so it would move better.   then of course,  the hull was warped........I cemented the bow and stern to line it up,  and then glued the center as I taped it together.   I still ended up with a bit of a gap.

494052465_2.jpg.a60a8a610603f4d333d62be159d421e0.jpg

inside the hull,  I took pieces of sprue and bridged the halves together.

1882748078_3.jpg.422ffe755cf64792a72ebc277417b3c2.jpg

your gonna love where they etched the logo..........

767331089_4.jpg.71fb55fca5fe8447bfb8220118d30d3e.jpg

Love the position of the logo  - obviously want everyone to see it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

the decks were soon dry fitted in place.   I see I'm gonna need to clamp the hull togther.

313522149_1.jpg.60228e349f796f465b32b81912e81149.jpg

the railings are about 4 mm high.....

1932019800_2.jpg.d1f4e84ac50b019c76284e714d140a8f.jpg

comparing a piece of 1:350 railing......I'm not too far off :) 

631828662_3.jpg.6532f09d8e703a7ff27c1eead63f1819.jpg

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB39/BOGP/

here I found some early plans on the Arizona.   not that I plan to detail below deck,  but they give me insight where doors and hatches are located.

1324125353_4.jpg.191b64b6c960447c4dbdaaa9f9437f81.jpg

the two smaller AA guns were eliminated very late in her lifetime....likely removed at Puget Sound,  her last major refit.   the small structure I spoke of earlier is nestled between the two structures that support the third level decking.........just a simple square.

1259271800_6.jpg.eb85b97203e20c944baf9408775f9e6e.jpg

the bow....

1717591601_9.jpg.850b99d14248324b797e821f71a1ce28.jpg

....and the stern.  I have hatches to cover the stairwells in the main deck.   not sure about the booms.........I will have to look.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The 1/350 railings dont look too bad at all - you could get away with those.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC........it's no longer there.........what a stupid place!

thanks John.......it won't be exact........but I think I can feel safe in saying that this will be probably one of the few Revell projects out there.   all I've been seeing is Trumpeter,  Banner,  Hobby Boss,  among other 1:350 kit builds.   ModelWarships has an extensive list of finished models.   earlier this evening,  I found another picture of her with the 5 inch guns closed in.........so I feel better about them look'in the way they do.   I'm probably wrong about being one of the few......but I'll be the first here.......and that's pretty cool.

anyway........at this point,  I was look'in into the blue paint issue.   I have some doubts about this,  as I really don't view this color being the latest camo color.   painting the turret tops 'bullseye' colors probably wasn't the best idea either.  a short time after Pearl Harbor,  they did away with that form of identification,  and adopted a more subtle approach.   I read somewhere,  that at one point,  the Navy got paint that didn't hold up..... fading,  cracking and peeling was the result.  fading and water reflection may have been a factor in the blue hue.   there was talk about Mediterranean blue.......sea blue,  and I compared it to Model Master Med Blue gray.......or light blue gray.   for an experiment,  I mixed Model Master Gunship Gray,  with Billing's Matt Aircraft Blue.....and came up with this

903120711_1.jpg.4a9f2f2fa4a8e476bb18b6f4ba65b0fa.jpg

1110114320_2.jpg.eb42ea26364d8d909fb1e0fff8056a05.jpg

I can't really use this paint anyway.........the Billing's paint doesn't spray too well in my air brush.  I've decided though,  that I'll mix up a fresh batch using better paint,  going a bit grayer in color.......but not too dark.  with all the variations I've seen........is there really a wrong color?  the tops will be done in Ghost gray........I've got plenty of that  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, I'll follow along, too. I remember building this one way back when. Did a paint "mix" of blue grays for the decks. Not too good, way too blue.  I think I was 12 or so.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

hello bglithero........should be interesting {I hope} ;)     your welcome to follow along.

I'm glad they will work OC,  'cuz when I ordered the PE,  I wasn't thinking about the railings.......all I got was the catapults and the cranes,  along with a few other bits.

I have a few pictures in the camera still,  of what I did yesterday afternoon........after I mowed my jungle.   to close off last week,  I puttied and sanded the hull bottom,  and did some trimming.   in the hoop-la,  the rudder popped off,  but didn't break the gungeons {luck smiled on me}.   so much for trapping it in it's place :default_wallbash:   I'll wait till I do the screw shafts,  to put it back on {why tempt fate}.

1096254181_1.jpg.697a31ee27495321b4642654a6d1495a.jpg

I think I need a new tube of putty......every time I go to use it,  I have to clear the nozzle {it's old stuff anyway}.  then I cleaned most of the flash from the structure parts..........here you can see what I mean about the assembly issue.

888464264_2.jpg.9306f4f3e8141f65f284d5bbb62cc319.jpg

next,  was the cheerful task of drilling out all the port holes.  the ones on the recesses gave me issues.......I have an idea of how to resolve it.

1560858235_3.jpg.b72d049428f4917ed4a88dca7c03e9ac.jpg

I still have the other side to do.

1749549479_4.jpg.b9113c91e36f79ff2bdf3a7191384f5e.jpg

there.......the rest of the pictures are here.   my tinkering the other day was to drill out the other side portholes.   once that was done........curiosity took over.  I picked a small section,  and commenced to chopping off the railings.   going along the hull edge,  I lightly scored along the railings,  doing this a couple of times.  when I felt I had gone deep enough,  I bent them and broke them off.   a couple of times,  the knife went off line and onto the hull..........oooooopps!  I rubbed the scratch with my finger nail,  and it seemed to disappear {I hope!}.  we'll see how it looks when it gets paint.

939045809_5.jpg.dfcdb61b9bc18f6926d49b047d8e7ca7.jpg

847331779_6.jpg.ed35135d3282ece8439b378538fc3601.jpg

1891520213_7.jpg.f908dab6e8d4499bb2fc92fe8053e2b4.jpg

you might be able to see what I mean about the recesses....they are a mess :(    I think I'll try to cover them over with a plate of brass and redrill them........with not so many portholes perhaps.   round injection mold marks can be seen........I had to cut them off because they interfere with the deck.    with that done.............for the reason why I started the log 👉    the stern deck got cemented in place

1027910372_8.jpg.36019a6087c8ce50bd5edabbc04c7886.jpg

there's a couple small gaps on the starboard side.........but there it is...my big major development.   I'd cement in place the fore deck section,  but there are a couple of raised doors on the bulkhead,  and I want to remove them,  installing the PE doors before I do.  might as well start right in with the PE ;)    so here it is.........where I'm at at the moment.  it will likely be a little slow for now.......I have a couple of models to clear up first.  it will give me a bit more time to experiment......and if I come up with something......no matter how small.......I will be sure to post it :)    thanks for look'in in and the positive comments.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Ken......welcome....glad to have you look'in :)   the main decks {wood areas} are to be a teak color.  a lot of the models I've seen leaned more toward a yellowish tan.   I will like go a bit darker than that.  the wood decks {scale decks,  etc}  are on the yellowish side as well......not too many chose to darken them at all.  I didn't paint her up too much as I recall......painted things here and there and called it good.   I consider this a second chance for me.....Don't think I can do no worse  ;)   it'll be fun.........trust me  :D

now I wonder..........how many different brands of Arizona kits were out there when we were kids?  not many I'll bet  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

your gonna love where they etched the logo

Isn't that where they branded cows in all the wild west movies? On the butt?:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looks like a good challenge Denis! I really wonder what the designers were thinking when they put that branding there...

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Wow!!! I get in on the first page!!!

so rare for me. You’re bringing back childhood memories with this one. I believe I was 13-14 when I built her. 

I havent touched a plastic ship since I was a teenager, how hard would it be to by some very thin veneer at Rockler and plank the deck?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Yep, I built this kit as a kid, too, back around 1971-72. That was back when my skill set consisted of separating parts from sprues and gluing them together. Parts, that is -- not the sprues.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

17 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Parts, that is -- not the sprues.

I think my skill set was more like gluing the sprues level back then. May still be that level come to think of it! :stunned:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks all for the kind comments and the likes.  been look'in in my stuff to find the chisel tips I used to use in my x-actors.  ...had for quite some time,  not sure what I did with them.....I'll find them ;) 

thanks Lou and Elijah........if you noticed,  they even put a logo and copyright under that section of deck I used as a paint test.   funny........I saw that Chinese name there,  and I had to go look to see if they were on Chuck's list.   too many good legit kit to build,  than to build their garbage ;)   but yea........Revell's had a history of doing that to some of their kits........on their 1:96 scale kits,  they had the copyright and mold date on the topside of the deck {near the main mast I believe} 

been there,  done that Sam.........I made the decks for the U.S.S. United states...........then I had to make 'em again 'cuz I waited to long and they warped.  I did enough 2 mm planking,  I think.   I think lots of folks built this one at one time or another.   Revell was very popular back in the 50's,  60's  and 70's.

I browse through oldmodelkits.com every once in a while,  and it's like a nostalgia trip..........especially the cars and planes  :)   it would be 1 mm perhaps........and then it really would be a task and a half.

I started the same way Chris............paint was lacking in the beginning.   modelers were closed in........no internet to widen the scope.   your best friend was the guy behind the counter at the local hobby shop........I had one.   you considered yourself blessed if there was a modeler's club in your area.   noe that the sky's the limit,  we wonder how we got along ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I think my skill set was more like gluing the sprues level back then. May still be that level come to think of it! :stunned:

You should do a plastic build lou,  would love to follow if you did.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'd save the sprues to make roll cages.  I thought nothing in taking a car that I've gotten sick of,  and bring 'er into the chop shop!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Such a kit reveals the incredible progress that have been done in the last few years, for plastic kits.

And I have to say that the Japanese (long time ago) and Chinese have been raising the bar very high. The quality of what is offered today allows the modelers to complete Museum Quality models, whereas before, most of these kits were designed for kids and young enthusiasts.

You are every brave to try to put such a kit together. I know you will turn it into a little marvel and you obviously enjoy some challenges.

Yves

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That was back when my skill set consisted of separating parts from sprues and gluing them together. Parts, that is -- not the sprues.

You mean the sprues were not part of the kit? Maybe that’s why mine never looked like the box. 

Ill ll never forget the day I discovered resin add on kits. And a PE afterburner kit for an F18. Never was able to pull the PE kit together. 

Lookimg forward to following along in this one. 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Just found your Arizona build log. Will follow and enjoy it with you.

I think projects like this one are some of the most fun you can have in modeling. No AMS is required nor needed, just build it and detail it as you see fit...the only rule is to have fun doing it. Besides, it helps many of us re-live a great childhood past of long summer days of building our models, then floating them in puddles, streams, and ponds. I know I did a lot of that.

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

You should do a plastic build lou,  would love to follow if you did.

I have two lined up. The Minicraft Titanic, that will be lit, for the Admiral, and the Heavy cruiser Houston as a special for me. A ship that I have read about and loved since my teen years.

But I need to get further along on the Providence first.

7 hours ago, CDW said:

then floating them in puddles, streams, and ponds. I know I did a lot of that

And I thought I was the only one who did that! A light fishing line and pole and hours would go by of imaginary voyages! 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Which Houston kit, Lou? The ships of ABDAFLOAT all have such a tragic history. I've read a few histories, especially the books cited by Piet during his build of Java.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, Canute said:

Which Houston kit

I am going to use the Trumpeter 1/350 Indianapolis as a base. I sent you a PM Ken  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

hi all...thanks for the kind comments.......I impressed that this kit has struck up some fond memories for some of you.   when you can remember some of the steps you took to build it,  then you know you had fun building it.   didn't have to be all gussied up and painted....but you built it,  and you were proud of it  ;)    the molds that produced this kit Yves are old......the flash and mold lines give it away {and the date stamp}.   the new stamping under the deck,  is how they mark them today........round 2 models does the same sort of stamping.  I enjoy old kits........the nostalgia they bring to the project, makes them special.  thanks for the kind comment :) 

I've never tried resin Sam...and PE is still new to me.   I think I got the skinny of it now though.......and I have a lot of neat stuff to add,  from the Hood PE  :)     you never did that with sprue......that is,  unless you were trying to build the Sputnik ;) 

thanks John........I had all that stuff gathered already.......it was about time I put it in a log  ;)   I have two projects that I need to finish........then we'll see if I can make that silk purse.

not sure what AMS is CDW.......but you remember the good 'ole days.... ;)  my brother and I would give them some ballast and send them out into the marsh in our back yard..........then shoot 'em with BB guns 😈

the plastic is strong within you Lou.........lash out!.........and finish your training!  :ph34r:

I may not get close to the real McCoy,  but I think what I'll add to the model will look super!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: