USS Arizona by popeye the sailor - Revell - 1:426 scale - PLASTIC

AMS is advanced Modelers Syndrome, adding all manner of superdetailing to the basic kit. The airplane and armor folks do it a lot.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

not sure what AMS is CDW.......but you remember the good 'ole days.... ;)  my brother and I would give them some ballast and send them out into the marsh in our back yard..........then shoot 'em with BB guns 😈

AMS is an acronym coined by modelers who are afflicted with "advanced modeler's syndrome". Modelers afflicted with AMS cannot build a model out of the box, stock, among other symptoms. 🙂

We grew up on a street with no stormwater drainage improvements. When it rained, a river of water flowed down the street in front of our house, then it turned and flowed down the side street along side of our house. We would race upstream with our sacrificial model boats during a rainstorm, release them in the water, then run back to the house and go out on the side porch where we waited with our BB guns. When the boats floated down the street and rounded the corner to come down the side street, we opened fire at each other's boats. A winning shot was a water line hull shot that sunk the boat. But it was fun to shoot the superstructures off the boats as well.

We resorted to cherry bombs, since they held up a little in water. Made good depth charges. 🤯

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

7 hours ago, Canute said:

We resorted to cherry bombs,

Cherry Bombs!!:omg:

What were you simulating? The Bikini Island tests?

As I didn't own a gun that would really shoot I was partial to lighter fluid and a match. The huge clouds of black smoke were very realistic I thought.:D 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I feel like an underachiever.  I didn't even think about firearms or explosives.  I just used rocks...😕

I will say that I immolated one of my old smurf houses when I realized that I was a little too old for them.  That was extremely satisfying at least.....

Alan

30 minutes ago, knightyo said:

I feel like an underachiever.

You made me remember Alan. I think I dimly remember using a slingshot with pebbles once.

I wonder if all this model destruction had anything to do with the average quality of the models? To do the same thing to some of the models posted here would be sacrilege to say the least! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Made good depth charges.

A jerry can filled with water and a large can of lye - quickly sealed and dumped overboard - made even better depth charges. :o

Now that's dangerous. But, I like things that go boom!:stunned:

Ken

Ah yes, going fishing with explosives. My cousin told me they did that in Viet Nam, back in the day. May be wasteful, but it's quick!

Ken

yes.......the things we did to our models....before we got old enough {and experienced enough},  to give a though into how much effort we put into them  ;)    now...........our only glint of enjoyment,  would be a viking funeral,  if the direction of the model went south!  :D :D 

dry ice is another form of explosive Jack.........a few chunks with water in a liter bottle....and you've got a bomb! :ph34r:

you think cherry bombs were bad Lou.........I entered my pyro days later on.   I'd build a squadron of small scale planes along with army men......and bury sacks of lighter fluid with m 80's.   I run after lighting,  but would be sometimes disappointed when it would go off before I could turn around :( 

anywhoooooo............I didn't think I'd do much to the model before I got these other two projects finished,  but the pull was too great.  I guess I was eager to get some PE on her.  before the fore deck section could be cemented in place,  there are some doors on the mid ship bulkhead that I wanted to do.   at first glance,  I thought there were only three.......but in the process of trimming off the raised molded detail,  I saw that there were four of them.   

887772078_1.jpg.fe187f3f47dc675aa85485d8ec75b28e.jpg

note the one in the far right corner.  I was thinking of removing the stairs too,  but it would be a lot of chopping,  so I left them.   it wasn't too bad removing the door detail

1237303918_2.jpg.ffe0d30920a38512111f177e641c97b6.jpg

with a little more clean up,  they will be ready to replace.   this will be rather interesting too........I'll be doing a sort of 'battle of the PE'.   here is the Eduard's PE for the Hood....I have quite a bit to work with.

297286756_3.jpg.a9c9e721d67e8afd2f4e959f991cae41.jpg

717680184_4.jpg.f72d15a7c3532e01549bfcc4e598c16b.jpg

293316002_5.jpg.89918010c3293018af9ae6ee58bb2e41.jpg

82810417_6.jpg.c48ef6c8fd8be25d6953b6ce2f88fd24.jpg

then I have the cranes and catapults sheet from Tom's Model Works.   it appears that it may be slightly thicker than the Eduard's PE,  which may work out as an advantage for me,  as I'm still a bit PE challenged.

124548806_7.jpg.b1755bf166d0be9635ee26829d1cbfd2.jpg

there are a few people on the sheet as well......I counted around 11 of them..........not sure if I will use them.   with all this........we'll see how much I can cram onto the model.  the doors were selected,  cut,  and cemented into place.

1649059578_8.jpg.151c521794d4cdc049886b7f0d872c41.jpg

...and with the fore deck section finally cemented in place,  one can see how hard it would be to do it at this point.

1690960192_9.jpg.cefa4024635cf4ee969d5117e5a219f8.jpg

914845942_10.jpg.3676be63068cf7703d8ef2f064116dbb.jpg

the one thing I would stress to anyone building this model in the future,  would be to probably glue the decks in place,  before removing the railings. 

as you can see,  there is a deficit around the edges,  that will require filling.   in some places,  it's not bad.......but in other places,  it's quite noticeable.   I did another bit of much needed removal........that freak'in anchor chain!   I can't believe that on a model this size,  that they would do that!  this also included cleaning out the hawse gates and using a file to clean them up.   I think I have some small chain.......if not,  I'm sure I can find some.

1229692831_11.jpg.a91486c11e795eb37613aa03a98d3cee.jpg

makes me wish there was PE for this....I hope it paints well.   the bow tip would have fit better......but there is a lump of plastic underneath.....for the location hole of the flag staff,  and I didn't remove it.   I don't plan on replacing the bollards,  so I'll need to be careful not to ruin them.   but then again........who knows.   I may find something for them.  I have to keep the budget in mind  ;)   here is the worse place that I need to deal with,  in regards to the deck line.

745533913_12.jpg.e6c00a8b2ddff1d53dcc7b22ec663f70.jpg

so this much is done..........I'll try to do something here and there,  and keep the log moving ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great progress denis  - so much pe at your disposal.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

my thoughts exactly CDW..........but folks won't be modeling in the future.........they'll be doing holograms  ;) 

I shook the box Yves........there's one in here somewhere ;)   

thanks OC

....and thanks for all the likes  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

46 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

my thoughts exactly CDW..........but folks won't be modeling in the future.........they'll be doing holograms  ;) 

I shook the box Yves........there's one in here somewhere ;)   

thanks OC

....and thanks for all the likes  :) 

At the rate we're going, it's hard to imagine or tell what folk might be doing 50 years from now. I guarantee that 50 years ago, none of us would have predicted what we're seeing today.

I do vividly recall reading and looking at the periodicals 50 years ago and being dazzled by the things skilled modelers could do with a kit from that vintage. And it was all good. I would sit and look at the pictures and read the articles for hours at a time wishing I could do something just a fraction as good as what I was looking at/reading about.

thanks gents for the good word.  yes.......modeling has come a long way.   as a young lad,  I lived in the country........no opportunities to see,  or even talk to folks about the hobby and what they were doing.  the only time I had any immersion into the hobby,  was when I'd visit the 606......the only hobby store in Manchester,  New Hampshire.   I didn't know of any other.   I wrote an article some time ago........modeling was so isolated....exposure was nill, and work hardly ever saw the light of day.  the internet changed all that :) 

got a little more done........show yas in a bit  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I figured I'd get the rudder back on,  as well as the screw shafts.   I thought they'd be a bit more elaborate,  but this one doesn't have the bracketing ,  that others have.   it's very simple.    nice that the parts all don't share the same number.....running into cases where one is longer than another.   of course,  I had to open up a couple of the holes so they would fit.

905868155_1.jpg.e7209ca387b71e6c1378505f655b0252.jpg

getting the rudder wasn't too hard.......after all,  it popped out rather easily.  I was careful not to break the gungeons.......the whitish stuff is where I scraped away more flash.  the shafts weren't too tough to get them even either.

1249273835_2.jpg.668796fd7f17528f697715a29382abde.jpg

the holes on the port side were a little deformed........I didn't do much for it.   not that there is much I can do....maybe later before I paint.

1840790924_3.jpg.5160d2f13e8a962721d269edd5cadf3d.jpg

I did a bit more here and there,  and assembled the two halves for the funnel.   there's room for embellishment.  more on it soon  :)  

note:  I did do away with the stamping,  as can be seen  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, src said:

Most likely a recreation of Pearl Harbor.

I think that was what happened to mine but I can't remember for sure either.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 8/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, CDW said:

Just remember, these models were cutting edge stuff when they came out way back when.

Makes me wonder what modelers will think of our models 50 years from now...probably pity the stone age Neanderthals that built them. 😄 

They will all be 3d printed by robot voice command. They will be amazed at our skill and try to figure out how we did all that without a computer or 3D printer. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Model Monkey, a 3D printer outfit, is advertising Arizona parts in the old Revell box scale in gray resin: https://www.model-monkey.com/1-426-scale

Ken

thanks for the good word gents  :)     I'll have to check out the site....thanks Ken for letting me know {I'll make the admiral mad at me or else!!!}   I'm still thinking of a way to repair around the edge of the deck,  matching the hull to it.   I'd use the putty I have on hand,  but I think it's too old.......the hull bottom might still need some touch up

is that Face book Greg?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looked at model monkey/shapeways..............picking my jaw off the floor just now!  :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

looked at model monkey/shapeways..............picking my jaw off the floor just now!  :o

Me too,  some amazing stuff on that site.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1