Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet by CDW - Merit - 1:200 Scale

For the time being, this will serve as the beginning and placeholder for my next project, the 1:200 scale USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier by Merit Models. Will be collecting reference material and aftermarket to complete the build. 

The box is a massive 53" long, the hull measuring over 49" long. Lots and lots of plastic here. Gives the option for a loadout of a dozen B-25 bombers for Doolittle's raid, or a flight of Wildcat fighter planes, Devastator torpedo bombers, and Dauntless dive bombers.

DSCN1641.JPG

Super - Duper  "Oh boy - oh boy"  I cant wait for this one,  im bringing my tent and camping stove,   and about a thousand hot dogs.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Awww.... no pics of what's in the box?   :(

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm in........this should be awesome to watch  :)      he's starting off with a cliff hanger Mark  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

55 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

" We want pics - we want pics we want pics  etc etc etc "

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sign me up. A bird farm! B-25s version, please.  I'm a little prejudiced, being a retired USAF aviator. But a Midway version is good, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

When I opened the box, all there is are more boxes inside. When you open those boxes, then the parts are exposed.

I'll try to get some more photos tomorrow after I take care of my wife. She's got some major dental work to get done tomorrow and it will press me into unfamiliar territory doing chores I'm unaccustomed to doing.

I'd love to watch this build, my dad was a MM2 on the Hornet when Doolittle made his raid on Tokyo, he went aboard when it was commissioned and was on her when she was sunk. He never talked much about it, I can't blame him, he went from there to the Princeton and was on her when She went down luckily he got shore duty after that, so if your taking votes I vote for the B-25's on deck, good luck with the build and I wish your wife well with her dental work I had a bunch done years ago and definitely no fun. 

CDW,

Man do the B-25s Doolittle and his crew had a huge set of cojones, one of the best raids of WWII. History needs to be remembered lest we foget

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Good news there, Craig.

Doolittle's crews did their short field takeoff practice at what later became Duke Field (named after the Duke, John Wayne, when they filmed his "Green Berets" movie there). It's also called Eglin Auxiliary Field 9; I was stationed at the main base in Fort Walton Beach, once upon a time.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It might be somewhat torturous, but how about building/painting BOTH sets of aircraft?  That would allow you to change them out annually, or whenever the whim strikes!  They won't be adhered to the deck, will they?

Alan

Another thing that helped the aircraft get off the deck was that they would wait to accelerate until the ships bow would start climbing in the trough of a wave trying to time it so that the plane reached the end of the deck when the ship was on the up angle.

The Hornet was still carrying her normal planes below but of course they could not be used until after the bombers had been flown off the deck. They were so worried that they had been discovered that they launched several of their fighters almost as soon as the last bomber left the deck and they turned and ran.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This model has the entire hangar under the main deck. A real opportunity for super detail if one wished to do that. A novelty, the main deck is molded in clear if someone wanted to leave either part, or the whole deck visible to the hangar. I won't do that but it will be a good place to park the flight of aircraft while the B-25's are lashed to the main deck..

33 minutes ago, CDW said:

This model has the entire hangar under the main deck. A real opportunity for super detail if one wished to do that. A novelty, the main deck is molded in clear if someone wanted to leave either part, or the whole deck visible to the hangar. I won't do that but it will be a good place to park the flight of aircraft while the B-25's are lashed to the main deck..

1/200  aicraft should be superb to super detail,  I once built a kit in that scale of a C141B streached starlifter transport plane.

This   -     http://dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=CHC2013

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 1 year later...

WOW!...........that's a sad note :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

understandably so..........there will be other Hornets......and the sting {to the pocketbook} will still be the same ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know, trying to find a Merit Hornet is like trying to find hens teeth. That is a shame CD, I was so hoping to see the Hornet getting all dolled up. A fellow has one for sale for $750.00 with the added extras kit. A bit rich for my pocket book at the moment, but if I had the extra cash right now, I would snatch it up. There will always be other builds CD, like the Calypso, Typhoon and others in your future. 

10 hours ago, CDW said:

I've been paring down the inventory in anticipation of a move to the north country in the not-too-distant future. It's not practical trying to take too many things with us when we move.

So you are leaving sunny Florida? Tired of the Hurricanes?

Too bad you sold that large kit. I (and many others) would have loved to see the masterpiece that you would have built.

Yves

There are some things you have to tolerate like a pesky hurricane every now and then to live in paradise. I've been living the dream most all of my life and wouldn't live any where else. CD will be missing it too the first or second year of shoveling snow, freezing to death. He'll be back, they always come back after they have lived in Florida for a few years, usually 5 years or a bit more then their blood gets thin from the heat and humidity hahahahahaha.     

Edited by mtdoramike

oh.....I dunno.....I've lived in New Hampshire all my life,  with the exception of moving to Florida for five years.   great in the beginning,  but,  all my family is up here.  I began to miss the seasons too.  I was in Florida to see it actually snow.......that was pretty cool :)   interesting array of insects down there,  I might add ;)     I had a good five years down there,  but I'd rather be here.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

CD,

Let us know if you can acclimate yourself to the cold I doubt it your too old. You'll be missing the humidity and skeeters. When I was a kid I remember having to climb out a back window to shovel snowdrift from the front door, always felt sorry for my father having to put chains on the tires early AM, one day I got up before he did put water on the stove to heat up went out to the car and poured it on the windshield created a beautiful spider web Spiderman would have been proud of. 

I paid for that dearly:(

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.