I picked up some cherry veneer from Woodcraft a few months ago.  One of the packets is the typical reddish color, the other is almost a golden orange color when oiled.  I'm thinking of using the latter for the upper hull and decking of my La Renommee build which contrasts nicely with the dark walnut I picked up from Crown Timberyard - here are some pictures:

IMG_6536.thumb.JPG.21579fae2e2f297bdcdcaf9190124c10.JPGIMG_6537.thumb.JPG.751ce9da760be8b6fa874f097b7979ec.JPG

Is there any issue with using "veneer" material for models?  The stuff I bought is very flexible, almost like thick paper.  To give some idea, I sanded it down in my Byrnes thickness sander and it started curling around the roller at around 0.5mm.  I'm used to wood that you have to heat/soak etc. to get bends, but this stuff is almost too flexible.  What I can't tell is whether the sheets are crimped with micro-cuts to help with flexibility or not.  Seems like I can sand out the machining marks to get a smooth finish so I'm tempted to use it as it's the color I have been looking for.

Any tips or experiences with using similar products?  Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before laying down the first deck planking.  Thanks! 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

This company also offers dyed veneer sheets as well.  The colors looked really nice.  A potential option if one wants to avoid paint.  I know some kits come with dyed strips (my Corel Unicorn kit, for example, came with strips already dyed black).

https://sveneers.com/wood-veneers/dyed-wood-veneer/

Given the flexibility, seems like this kind of material is a great option as opposed to fighting wood that doesn't want to bend.  One issue perhaps is that these veneers are normally on the thinner side.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike - I used cherry veneer to plank the lower hull on my present build & it came out great. My only issue was cutting strips off the veneer sheet without a wavy edge.  I got a strip cutter from Micro-Mark that worked pretty good after changing the blade from a pointed one to a rounded one - the pointed blade wanted to follow the grain while the rounded one didn`t. A metal straight edge clamped down on the veneer would probably work also.  I did have to cut spiled planks for the bow area - as flexible as this stuff is,It still doesn`t like to edge bend. Obviously, the underlayment needs to be very smooth - any little bumps or dips will show.  The best part is - a package of 4 sheets from my local wood store is only about 15$ US:D.  

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I bought a 4 foot by 18 inch roll of Swiss Pear veneer a while back hoping to use it to plank small boats. it looks like it would be perfect for that.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Master Korabel kits use all veneer wood, while it make things easy as far as attaching ceilings and hull planking it splits just looking at it, will rip out very easy with a drill. It looks great just be very careful when attaching parts to it that require drilling or cutting. Others may have had different experiences. This is mine.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Being a fan of natural wood, I like to use veneer for variety and contrast.  It also facilitates spiling if that is your thing..

Here is a sample of a work in progress.

mary1.jpg.cd17cdba835765c35010fa99e875beaf.jpg

With reference to your comment on flexibility, your sample planks above, appear to have been cut across the grain.

That would certainly impart a flexibility that might not be desirable in some situations.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks everyone!  I'll keep an eye out on for how it handles drilling and cutting.  It seemed to do ok on the quick test planks I cut on the table saw, though I noticed it did have a tendency to chip the wood at the entry point of the saw.  At the current thickness of 1.5mm, it seems to hold up ok.  Getting it down to 0.5mm was a different story though, as it curled, cracked, etc.  I'll probably try to keep it at a width no less than 0.75mm.

Gregory, love the model, very nice!  I too am a fan of natural wood.  And good eye on those sample planks - I do believe I cut them across the grain with the small sample piece I cut off the sheet.

Mike

That was the other thing I forgot. The Curling. It was terrible when using PVA, it would just roll up in a circle. Had to use CA no other choice. Laid it down about three inches at a time workingbthe CA under with a toothpick.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Maybe try ironing it flat with a steam iron? Steam bending is a thing.  As mentioned above, veneer is shaved off a spinning log so it’s “real” shape is the diameter of the log, it doesn’t want to get flat and stay that way. Lloyd McCaffery covers the issue in his book Ships in Miniature, here is his illustration. He points out that in th process of making veneer, the cutting blade is continuously forcing the wood fibers to shear as the veneer is bent back away from the log by the cutter. These tiny cracks are what keep catching the x-acto blade and making it wander.  McCaffery states he won’t use veneer on the model, only the case and the base. But his model timbers are typically incredibly tinny.

B9DD935A-C54C-46FF-97D2-91B40C231B88.jpeg

C70EDF3D-2518-4C0F-A390-2AE8F2CD11C0.jpeg

Niagara USS Constitution 

Good point about the iron..  I have a small hobby iron that I use.  It works very well when using PVA.  The glue sets up within a few seconds as it cools.

iron.jpg.83a4787d2a5cf900068ea54c3acfa008.jpg

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

To counteract curling when gluing up veneer, dampen it. I usually dampen the side that is concave first ( the contracted surface), then spread glue the opposite side. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv