RCN H-class destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

A sister to my previous G-class, build from the same box, with a few adjustments to hull and deckstructures. I'll be using some 3D printed parts to replace the original kit ones as well. The box ... not so much different as the other, both derivates from Trumper's Eskimo kit ... (just print another box's cover and you're done :wacko:)

264403908_IMG_3632copy.thumb.jpg.ea2d59a0fa807ee5410787bce19e8687.jpg1610309076_IMG_3633copy.thumb.jpg.daebcd24b8dae0bcfeecd917b612ac12.jpg1099687544_IMG_3635copy.thumb.jpg.d5b0572eb80e8d506929d0e0b179b30d.jpg1699414363_IMG_3636copy.thumb.jpg.a35a329b9f710e3f43e43da485e08f43.jpghmcs_H_class.thumb.jpg.6e0334617362d51e29feae83e4c4f5c4.jpg

Colour scheme will be either Athabaskan or Iroquois

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

She got her nose job done whilst I was working on the G-class, since Trumper has an error in it's Tribal class hull form at the bow 1: Previous unaltered build, 2: Current build

88253894_IMG_3754copy.thumb.jpg.004bdc410590d51e4762b4ffea5fa6d7.jpg1621980768_IMG_3739copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.86240c3d7a8064a7c537a7a38f69be5d.jpg396402274_IMG_3741copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.67afdda79268521d5a15597865f81f52.jpg1008987661_IMG_3740copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.8ee83ec6bce87626ace06943fe5ff98e.jpg2137554958_IMG_3812copy.thumb.jpg.55eef74664e9c43c0e777c33728b9937.jpg157917055_IMG_3813copy.thumb.jpg.43088394dbcab015983299c6b8300b45.jpg656296200_IMG_3814copy.thumb.jpg.54b0901ba3cc0d4361a851864ea2da7f.jpg

The last three as she is now ... ready for the base colours, and I'm working on deck structures

Edited by cog

Carl

13 minutes ago, RGL said:

You’re getting a little bit prolific. I think 5 Star does an upgrade for this. 

I'l do my own upgrade as you can see ... a few more things like this, as Trumper is not really taking care of it's used designs ... thnaks for the information though, I'll certainly have a look.

Primary seat was just taken by Greg, Jack ... you need to be sharp with us plastic modellers, but you still have a generous pick of seats I would say ;)

( bleechers :huh: )

Edited by cog

Carl

Bleechers - actually misspelled should be bleachers.  Yes, Greg did sneak in while I was typing my response.  Oh well !

bleach·er
ˈblēCHər/
noun
plural noun: bleachers.
  1. North American
    a cheap bench seat at a sports arena, typically in an outdoor uncovered stand.

Carl, would you explain the "pin-stripe" effect you painted on the hull. I know HOW you did it but not WHY.  What is the ultimate effect?  I saw it in yours and Gregg's previous builds but not sure I understand why.

As you can see, I have darker versus lighter stripes, that is to accentuate the panels, I'll need to do the verticals too, but it will be a pain to realise. Since I will do a camouflage, that will hardly be visible at all on this ship. The pin stripes give a dark and lighter undertone to the layers which will be sprayed on top, as those will be done as a very diluted mixture, which will add to the realism of the ship. Koppalakki does it rather crude in the beginning, quite large, but after his first paint layer he adds oil canning at a smaller size

This one will be lightly weathered, and the accent on the camouflage

I'd thought you to be in the front row, instead of the "cheap seats" ... no price tags on chairs here ... first come first choice, no reservations but for chairs already occupied for the one occupying it

Edited by cog

Carl

Ok so the next coat of paint is a wash ?  How much do you dilute the paint ?

Yes, I could have chosen the chairs in the front,  but the bleachers have more height; all the better to throw popcorn at you :D:D;). But of course, I have to wait for SJORS or MTAYLOR to bring the popcorn machine first...... :D

AH but you can't bring your own consumptions, you have to buy them from me. I need to have some source of income to pay for these builds!!!!

Dilution 50% + probably 60%

Carl

PE parts, more to follow

Depth charge shutes 3d printed quad torpedo tubes

2118850819_IMG_3820copy.thumb.jpg.3305948c6920740c2e567ea11572922a.jpg

supports centre gun isle

1374448594_IMG_3818copy.thumb.jpg.5892da32d52251db85f95df5d212b0e1.jpg

Structural members front super structure

1019854699_IMG_3816copy.thumb.jpg.bc2833edcc14e70485f161d5bdb9b5cb.jpg1204258943_IMG_3817copy.thumb.jpg.1622d274f7f3622c584c9f1cd81328b8.jpg

and water tight doors ... as usual

Carl

I will bring our sofa and leg support  - where can I park that?   I will of course bring our barbi  complete with a few thousand hot dogs and burgers, so plenty to go round.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

51 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I will of course bring our barbi 

You need to be a little more careful OC in what you say around us more base people who have minds that never get too far above gutter level!

Bringing your "Barbie" and having having plenty to go around in the same sentence can conger all kinds of lewd visions in the wrong people. :stunned:  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You two got lost somehow ...? or joined the build on purpose ...?

You can park it at the back ... outside ... with the other junk ...

40 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Bringing your "Barbie" and having having plenty to go around in the same sentence can conger all kinds of lewd visions in the wrong people.

Don't tell Ken ...

Edited by cog

Carl

46 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You need to be a little more careful OC in what you say around us more base people who have minds that never get too far above gutter level!

Bringing your "Barbie" and having having plenty to go around in the same sentence can conger all kinds of lewd visions in the wrong people. :stunned:  

Upsss  - should have said outside cooking device   and hot dogs  arn't they called  chilli dogs or something.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

no fret OC.........I brought the beans........we can have a 'blazing Saddles' moment!  :D      nice start Carl....... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

47 minutes ago, cog said:

You two got lost somehow ...? or joined the build on purpose ...?

You can park it at the back ... outside ... with the other junk ...

Don't tell Ken ...

Ken is currently in Big Brother  over here in a house studio somwhere.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sign me up for this Merrie Crew. I'll join Jack up in the cheap seats. And Carl, can you get some good bratwursts for the grill, please. And careful how you toss that Ken name around.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Ok so the next coat of paint is a wash ?  How much do you dilute the paint ?

Yes, I could have chosen the chairs in the front,  but the bleachers have more height; all the better to throw popcorn at you :D:D;). But of course, I have to wait for SJORS or MTAYLOR to bring the popcorn machine first...... :D

Look behind you... last row.   Feet up, popcorn machine running and coffee cup in hand. m1242.gif.904a87d11557987e0965e91b2b72d567.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As long as you do not bring Barbie, I'll mind when and where to throw Ken arround ...

Darn, build log Mod in town, "run for your life before he gets you a live" ... missed your distinguished presence Mark. Could you get them rough necks lined up a bit, then I can continue ;) I moved the PM outside the door, I hate that sweet sickening stench of popcorn, besides ... it takes space for seats

This morning I got "British Destroyers (1892-1953)" by E.J. March out to get into the drawings of the H-class. I'll be soldering vents the coming days, they look like the stack on the forrard funnel of Dennis' Vendetta, an H-shape on a tube ... so far I've located eight with different heights ...

Edited by cog

Carl

17 hours ago, cog said:

I moved the PM outside the door,

Yipee! A drive in build!

23 hours ago, Canute said:

can you get some good bratwursts for the grill

At last someone with good taste! Hot dogs are not even good dog food and chilly dogs are just hot dogs covered up with spicy beans so you don't notice what you are eating. 

Carl

I always thought those "H" shaped pipes were something to do with the galley stove or something like a wardroom heater, as there always seems to be only one on British ships. Are there more than one on the H class? 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Besides the galley stove there are eight both on the decks as well as on the rear and forward  superstructures, Lou. At least, that is what the drawings make believe ... I'll try to make a photo for your reference library

Edited by cog

Carl

It sounds like I don't have the right pipe in my mental image. looking forward to the pictures. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for sharing your methodology with us. Interesting detail work on the bow. For my own education, aren't the items for the depth charges at the stern referred to as "racks" rather than "shutes"? 

The RNC probably has some different terminology than USN.  

Cheers, Harley

Edited by tigerdvr
add word

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Thanks for the likes gents

5 hours ago, tigerdvr said:

Thanks for sharing your methodology with us. Interesting detail work on the bow. For my own education, aren't the items for the depth charges at the stern referred to as "racks" rather than "shutes"

The RNC probably has some different terminology than USN.  

Cheers, Harley

Harley,

Good to have you aboard. You are more then welcome.

It could well be possible, but as a non-native English speaker I used the word which came up first as my brain can only hold so much information. Between Dutch, French, English, German, and a couple of programming languages, things tend to get scrambled up ... but thanks for the "correction", I'm not aversed to it, I just hope I will recall it next time I need it! If not, just hit me again, eventually I will have to remember as is the case with repetition.

Cheers

Carl

Good to have you aboard Sam. Hardly hiding, more off radar ...

Plastic builds ... yes, ah, well, uhm, I get the feeling it's brass with some plastic for the cohesion ... although I've found some nice 3D printed parts in favour even of the PE

I'm more for the slow cooked park on the bbq, so I skip both their's ;) If you grab a chair on my left side you can better follow what I do

Carl

those types of vents prevent downdrafts.  they can also be seen on modern fishing vessels too. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch