RCN H-class destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - plastic

Nice work on the funnel. Looks like everything is off to a great start.

From the pictures of the plans you provided it seems all of the "H" vents are located close to the main guns. Is it possible they may be vents for the magazines located below?

My only experience with this style of vent was on the Flower class Corvette which now that I look back, was also located just aft of the 4" gun mount.   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mind if I join this motley crew Carl?  I'll be very quiet and find a place in the cheap seat with my binocs.

Nice looking funnel.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

Nice work on the funnel. Looks like everything is off to a great start.

From the pictures of the plans you provided it seems all of the "H" vents are located close to the main guns. Is it possible they may be vents for the magazines located below?

My only experience with this style of vent was on the Flower class Corvette which now that I look back, was also located just aft of the 4" gun mount.   

Maybe those destroyer sailors liked the smell of gun smoke, and/or burning powder ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, Piet said:

Mind if I join this motley crew Carl?  I'll be very quiet and find a place in the cheap seat with my binocs.

Nice looking funnel.

Cheers,

Still a front seat reserved for The Flying Dutchman ... (the only one ;) ) You've been rather quiet of late ... garden, and house chores ...?

Carl

On 8/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, cog said:

Maybe those destroyer sailors liked the smell of gun smoke, and/or burning powder ...

Cordite does have a distinctive odor.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Cordite does have a distinctive odor.  

Playing with guns again, Mark ... Thought you were deep into  ship's boats ... :huh:  ... or are those the armed sloops ;) 

Carl

13 hours ago, cog said:

Playing with guns again, 

Not for decades, sir, but the mind remembers the smell.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fortunately, gents, these guns do not smoke since she isn't finished yet, and when she is, that will only happen unless I take a match to the her, but I hope to have outgrown that stadium of infancy ...

Carl

Well, she'd be old enough to smoke if she wished to. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have a lot of time for modelling off late, but today and Yesterday, in between work sessions, I took some time to pull the airbrush trigger. Preperation is half the work ... it seems to me it's about 90% ... getting the shapes transfered to the masking tape, cutting them out, fitting to the hull, decide what will be the base colour and work up towards the last, each time adding more masks ... So for now a first attempt at hull camouflage ...

IMG_3858 copy.jpg

IMG_3857 copy.jpg

There are three colours, white WA Blue and MS2 (a darkish grey)

The white is an off white, the WA Blue a very pale green/white-ish. When you zoom in you can just see it, although in reality the distinction is quite visible

Cheers

P.s. Nearly forgot: I used Lifecolor paint this time. I didn't know the airbrush quality, but now I can say I'm not a fan for airbrush use, not even heavily diluted (80%)

Edited by cog

Carl

look'in good Carl :)   I've got three of the life color kits........haven't tried them yet since I work with enamels.   a good head's up ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've got both WWII Eastern and Western Approaches RN kits. I do like the way you can brush it on ... very smooth, nearly as good as airbrush .. nearly

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

I've got both WWII Eastern and Western Approaches RN kits. I do like the way you can brush it on ... very smooth, nearly as good as airbrush .. nearly

I dont use anything else on plastic.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Dry fitting, som touch ups to do. Close ups really bring the mistakes out ... need to remove 1mm from the bridge as it is to high, put the bridge's cover on , the wheel, lights, etc and then I can glue it on. I still have to figure out the conversion of the rear superstructure, as it deviates from that of the Huron. Still searching ... (any Canadian with ideas about where to find information on this?)

65543637_IMG_1229copycopy.thumb.jpg.4eec8a4c86fd6b9076402a5c0ce0c5d7.jpg1681021287_IMG_1230copycopy.thumb.jpg.23e992c05bd54d36a3a991e83cb7a241.jpg

Carl

looks awesome so far Carl.........really nice camo  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks gents, for the likes and Denis & Greg for the posts

I didn't expect these colours to start with, and to my astonishment, they don't make the ship look like a candy cane!!! Still some work to do before she can start convoy duty ... Next up: Rear superstructure and railing on the for'ard one ... might try the stanchions and line ones ...

Carl

She is looking really nice mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I guess the little mouse up in the last row of the bleachers should chime in too and say nice job on the colour Carl.  I like the camo effect.

18 minutes ago, cog said:

After attending my uncle's funeral, I needed something to distract the mind ... drilling 0.3mm holes for stanchions ...and glueing them on ...

2066233280_IMG_1236copy.thumb.jpg.17086dc78c6fa2ff08013d1c7f66db8d.jpg

Sorry to hear about your uncle carl,   building our little projects does help take our mind off stuff abit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.