RCN H-class destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Sorry about your loss Carl. Hopefully time will make it easier.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

condolences my friend..sounds like it was unexpected and sudden :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

My condolences, Carl.  Any changes like that are always tough.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

nice!   he's probably 'threading' the railings right now

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

3 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice!   he's probably 'threading' the railings right now

Another genious with xray vision  - some days I have trouble finding my boat sitting on the sideboard,  then I put my glasses on and it comes into focus but still a slight blur.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, cog said:

Thanks Jack, OC. Part of life one might say, nevertheless it doesn't make it any easier ...

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, Carl. I do agree that it's never easy.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Lou, Denis, Ken, Greg, Chris, and Mark. It's always good to come back here amongst friends!! In that respect people at MSW are unique ... so far I haven't seen that anywhere else ...

Denis, nope, not yet threading, I had another superstructure to pre drill ... so far I wasted 4 bits on fourty holes ... that will be fun when it comes the real work foc'sle, and deck ... probably need to restock on bits ... and as for keeping distracted, Greg, I've got some fun work today ... writing a script to convert the Lambert72 coordinates to WSG84 (or EPSG:4326 to EPSG:31370) and vice versa ... in short convert Lattitude Longitude to the Belgium datum and back ... if any time remains ... railings on the for'ard superstructure, and finishing the bridge with, some say, necessary atributes ... weathering the deck round B turret, and I found some railing from Eduard, which I can apply after cutting as a handrail on both sides of the superstructures, still a lot of work to be done gents, I for one will certainly have my share of distraction.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I seem to need a standing order with my drill bit retailer. Just got another dozen #78 drill bits. They're 0.016 in/.44mm diameter. Launched a few into Nevernever Land and left two embedded in resin parts I was drilling. Digging them out was a pain in the you know where. Carbide drills are too brittle for me to hand drill; use High Speed Steel ones.

Different map projections; yeah, too esoteric for here. I'm a trained navigator, so I learned it many years ago.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

I think I understood Longitude, Latitude, and Belgium. Outside of that was a complete mystery, Might as well be a foreign language.:huh::stunned::blink:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ken,

Thought you should know, considering your stay in Europe ... not much esoteric about, but mostly over complicated. A single system would be nice for a change ... but hey, why do it the easy way, when you can do it the hard one ...

Lou,

As far as I'm concerned it is a foreign language ... the only problem ... my boss wants me to speak it :wacko:

Edited by cog

Carl

The non build issue kept me more distracted than the build ... still managed to do a few more stanchions ... ruler for size ...

1687871396_IMG_1241copy.thumb.jpg.c911eb0da9c8779dc5aedc125c3eace6.jpg

on the right side which is the for'ard of the structure, there will be two 2pdr pom-poms at the X turret a 4" (102 mm)/45 Mk.16 twin guns. I've ordered the pom-poms, though I have to make them single units myself (took something rather big to chew on, despite it's size that is) at the upper structure I still need to find out what to "install", but I'll get there in the end. I need to make a fixed railing on the top, whilst the lower stanchions had a cable as top. If I can't manage to make the single pom-poms work, I may switch to oerlikons as those have been part of her armament at one time ...

Carl

4 hours ago, cog said:

the only problem ... my boss wants me to speak it :wacko:

And write it apparently! Fluently.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

And write it apparently! Fluently.

Ah, yes ... apparently ... appearances deceive, Lou ... having no navigational skills, for what's driving a car ... even without navigational software, it is hard to turn your hand to it

Thank you for the likes gents, as always very much appreciated

Edited by cog

Carl

In between work, garage cleaning, garden chores, cooking, and all the other usefull activities we endeavour,  I managed to squeeze some modelling. Some wobbly handrails on both structures (to be painted as goes for the other minor additions), an antenna at each side of the bridge, port and starboard lights, the canopy structure on the bridge, gave the guns their final colour, and closed two of the guns with a trapaulin (tissue works great) against rough weather ... leaves me another two

837324148_IMG_2254copy.thumb.jpg.65268c78324c4def833a0c6d3a8307df.jpg383110711_IMG_2253copy.thumb.jpg.1e477592529cf899f4dc099410b084ed.jpg

Carl

I'm just glad my metal hole isn't a hole ;) It's a mere indentation on the stanchion ... and as you will know by the scale ... hardly visible at all, even with a visor ... and yes ... time just vanishes into thin air ... as Tommy would say. I'm getting quite good at it you know ... I can do an inch in about an hours time :D must be a record of some sort ... glad I can practise on something small like a superstructure. The stanchions on the deck's edges will be even more fun :huh:

Edited by cog

Carl

15 minutes ago, cog said:

I'm just glad my metal hole isn't a hole ;) It's a mere indentation on the stanchion ... and as you will know by the scale ... hardly visible at all, even with a visor ... and yes ... time just vanishes into thin air ... as Tommy would say. I'm getting quite good at it you know ... I can do an inch in about an hours time :D must be a record of some sort ... glad I can practise on something small like a superstructure. The stanchions on the deck's edges will be even more fun :huh:

I thought railings were hard enough😦

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I thought railings were hard enough😦

OC.

Depends on what your interpretation of "railing" is ... and the way you build it ... I thought about doing it the easy way, you know, cut some railing resembling brass from a sheet, and stick it on the ship ... but why should I do that if I can accomplish, a probably lesser result, the hard way ... it is all about agony right ... :huh:

Carl

1 hour ago, channell said:

Looks like you made the appropriate blood sacrifices to the tiny drill gods...  😋

Quite so. Already ordered a few more boxes to ascertain a steady flow of drill bits to the waste basket ;)

Carl

Finally dawned on me to limit using carbide drills. I've sent way too many into Never Never Land. High speed steel drills work.

Ken

I have to "waste" quite a few carbide drils for a single high speed steel one ... besides ... haven't found a supplier nearby as yet ... for the steel ones.

Carl

so this is what you do,  beside moving the equator and creating Bermuda triangles?!?!  I just got a new set of bits myself...as soon as they hit the table,  I'm on the look out for more.....I know what will happen......sooner or later ;) 

...and I thought I had patience.......does it come with the bits?   look'in good though! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the likes gents, gives a bit of energy ...

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

...and I thought I had patience.......does it come with the bits?   look'in good though! 

Patience ... nope ... I've been looking at you building a lot ;) but mainly because I'm tired of working  :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence

Carl

Carl,

Just checking in for the first time.  I'm sorry for your loss.  I've had parents, relatives and friends pass fast and slow, and it's never easy, but I take comfort that their spirits are alive and well and with us always.

Back to boats.  The build looks great.  I'm particularly interested in railings with separate stanchions since that will be a big part of the Vance build.  Have you had any experience with a technique called heat sinking for the stanchion installation, in lieu of drilling and gluing?  The kit manufacturer describes it as holding a soldering iron tip to the side of the PE stanchion, while gripping the stanchion with tweezers.  Supposedly the stanchion gets hot enough to melt the plastic as you push it down.  I have no idea whether it works, or if it would scorch a previously painted deck.

Thank you

Steve

Steve,

Welcome aboard. Glad you found my hidden build. I take comfort in the knowledge those passed have a ball (somewhere) with ones they love. Thanks for your support in this

Ships most would call them here ...  back to the plastic tubs ... I know of it, but I'm afraid my stanchions would incinerate at the size they are 0.16" high, width ... 0.04". If I heat it, I will probablynot be able to press it in the plastic, for it would bend to easily. Besides I have painted the deck in it's final colour as I need to put on furniture before I add the stanchions. I don't think the particular cheap plastic furniture likes the touch of a red hot stanchion ... I think it could work on a 1/200 or larger build though ...

The scorching of the deck depends largely on the heat you need to apply to press the stanchion in without breaking or bending it, and furthermore the resistance of the paint to heat. I would suggest to test it. You will certainly have a piece of your build's plastic left and you can try it on bare, and painted plastic. It should be faster if you get it to work, for strength I can't say, as I use CA

Cheers

Carl