RCN H-class destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

amazing to think that a tiny bit of plastic is the starting point........next thing you know,  you'll be doing calligraphy on rice!  :D 

really looks good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Some more breathless work ... and nerve wrecking moves

pompom01.thumb.jpg.1f34acdf1a8e8340cc7ef93a01fa8bac.jpgpompom02.thumb.jpg.b9efd6fd39684b2139215d41b10af3b3.jpgpompom001.thumb.jpg.e12443079dac3ed621527de2def0a6ed.jpgpompom002.thumb.jpg.504a59a5ad418b07cc55174302ded0ad.jpgpompom003.thumb.jpg.201ff685653bfbd8d3453b75fe80419c.jpgpompom004.thumb.jpg.5843d7aee0d730f601c3d46a97384339.jpg

pompom006.thumb.jpg.4cca3862ce40832a429bae0e949e26ae.jpgpompom005.thumb.jpg.f7bb90afe76d6473356b5d1bb34c143c.jpg

Now that it's build, I realised it's to bloody big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I can shelve it ... darn, now I need to find a ship which actually carried these specific pompoms ... plan B ... vickers and searchlight

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I shouldn't like this....but it looks very good ;)     sorry to hear you can't use it

Edited by popeye the sailor
added text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, cog said:

Thanks OC, you're not doin' to bad yerself with your guns either mate

Hmmm, glad I don't need to throw, Pat.I've got the pop guns ;)

Thank you kindly carl.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Yep,  I remember the Pom Pom show  - did the same on my warpy kit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

How about a Chicago piano (4 x 1.1 inch guns. Early WWII USN antiaircraft gun)

image.png.1d29892b54592f845112e0b096df54fb.png

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

17 hours ago, cog said:

You give me more credit than you should ... you haven't seen it ... through an optivisor!!

No, but I did copy it and enlarged it to the point that it became a bit grainy, and in my opinion it is looking fantastic!

It is sad to hear that after all that beautiful work that you won't be able to use it on this build. Are you going to go ahead and paint it? It might be interesting to choose a model based on the guns you have rather than the other way around.

You did manage to scare me a little though when you showed how you had to drill the plastic for the barrels. Up to that point I had no idea how I was going to deal with the barrels on my 1.1" quads. NOW I KNOW! :stunned: Not only is it the seeing but even the handling of these tiny parts while working on them is a challenge! Mine are the ones that Ken posted........... only MUCH smaller!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

No, but I did copy it and enlarged it to the point that it became a bit grainy, and in my opinion it is looking fantastic!

You did manage to scare me a little though when you showed how you had to drill the plastic for the barrels. Up to that point I had no idea how I was going to deal with the barrels on my 1.1" quads. NOW I KNOW! :stunned: Not only is it the seeing but even the handling of these tiny parts while working on them is a challenge!

Bigger and bigger  - magnification glasses is the key  but also steady hands   - oh and support like what artists use to rest thier brush hand,    and not foregetting  tiny device to hold the thing.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, RGL said:

Too big for the ship? Or wrong gun? Did you mean to do the quad vickers 

6841680C-1B23-4415-835B-B4DDB7280125.jpeg

Greg, I messed up 'cause of misinterpreting wikipedia: the destroyer was equipped with four single-mounted 2-pounder "pom-pom" guns. and then I looked only at the image ... no vickers as your image shows. (bloody foreigner I am). Got the single pom-poms already. Good reason for a next build to search for a kit with quad or oct pom-poms maybe a cruiser will be available ... haven't build that type yet

Lou it's British the armament, besides I only like Jazz and Classical piano AA gun staccato sounds to much like head bang music ... but thanks for the suggestion, interesting looking AA gun

Now you know how to do the guns, you might as well start all your build logs. We've been listening to you ..... about them long enough mate. Time for action!!!

Right you are OC. Maybe once - when I am all grown up - I might make an instructional video - maybe then it is called a digituto - about building this type AA gun ;) 

Cheers everyone

Carl

Get the Trumpy HMS Belfast kit carl?   those  pom poms would fit that a treat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

hmmm, I have been looking at that type of city class battleships before. Looks rather nice. Wanted to build the Edinburgh ... both Belfast and Edinburgh are the same length and tonnage. We'll see. First the German babe ;) Thanks though!

Edited by cog

Carl

18 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

amazing to think that a tiny bit of plastic is the starting point........next thing you know,  you'll be doing calligraphy on rice!  :D 

really looks good!

missed this post from you Denis. Thanks mate. I've tried calligraphy on ice, but that didn'y work out as expected ... you suggestion may be a nice alternative

Carl

8 hours ago, cog said:

Lou it's British the armament, besides I only like Jazz and Classical piano AA gun staccato sounds to much like head bang music ... but thanks for the suggestion, interesting looking AA gun

Now you know how to do the guns, you might as well start all your build logs. We've been listening to you ..... about them long enough mate. Time for action!!!

I know what you built is British, it was Ken that posted the picture of the American 1.1" quads that happen to be the same as the guns used on the Houston.

I haven't started my build logs only because there is so little to see. I have started on the Titanic but at this point all I have to show is a little over 300 little pinholes in the hull with over 400 more to go! Posting pictures now would be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Also I am working at getting my work area back and finding all of the stuff I had to get out of sight for the holidays!

In the meantime I will continue to try and learn from you other guys in hopes that I can use your builds to further my knowledge for my time under the magnifying glass.

I agree with OC in that the Belfast might be right up your alley for subject consideration. I believe she was one of the last "treaty" light cruisers built before WWII.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

34 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I know what you built is British, it was Ken that posted the picture of the American 1.1" quads that happen to be the same as the guns used on the Houston.

I haven't started my build logs only because there is so little to see. I have started on the Titanic but at this point all I have to show is a little over 300 little pinholes in the hull with over 400 more to go! Posting pictures now would be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Also I am working at getting my work area back and finding all of the stuff I had to get out of sight for the holidays!

In the meantime I will continue to try and learn from you other guys in hopes that I can use your builds to further my knowledge for my time under the magnifying glass.

I agree with OC in that the Belfast might be right up your alley for subject consideration. I believe she was one of the last "treaty" light cruisers built before WWII.

With HMS Belfast  also lots and lots of good photo material around  - not to mention the actual ship in London.  (I have been over her)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

39 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

not to mention the actual ship in London.

The only problem with that is that just like many of the ships on display here in the US and elsewhere in the world the ship you see today has very little in common to the ship of the late 30s and early forties.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

52 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

With HMS Belfast  also lots and lots of good photo material around  - not to mention the actual ship in London.  (I have been over her)

OC.

So I can send you to take photographs :)

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The only problem with that is that just like many of the ships on display here in the US and elsewhere in the world the ship you see today has very little in common to the ship of the late 30s and early forties.

Why spoil everything ...

Carl

Wow, nicely done Carl.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

4 hours ago, cog said:

Why spoil everything ...

Not spoiling anything if you want to build her as she was in 1963. That was the same problem Jack ran into with his build of the Sullivans. The model he had did not match the ship he could go see.

There is a ton of pictures and written info on the Belfast though, You could probably get everything you need without leaving the comfort of your favorite armchair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Profile-Warship-WWII-Royal-Navy-HMS-Belfast-Heavy-Cruiser-Design-Detail-RARE/233074907903?hash=item364458daff:g:xO4AAOSw~atcKUki:rk:65:pf:0

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

There is a ton of pictures and written info on the Belfast though

hear me whisper ...                                                  HMS Edinburgh

Edited by cog

Carl

You are welcome Carl and yes, I'm planning on coming back as soon as my yard is cleaned up before spring. I'm thinking of cutting down Gwen's maple tree before then.

Never a dull moment.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Don't even think that didn't cross my mind 😉  I was already picking out a few stout branches this morning.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thought to finish the railings today, but work had different plans. I've been tackled before I could even start ... ah well, there will be other days and weekends ... seydlitz needs to wait a wee bit longer

Carl

• 1 month later...

Thanks Sam. Hmmm  ... yes those quads would have made her look top heavy ... lucky I didn't get the octuple ones ... she would be hangin upside down. At least I've got a valid excuse to buy another appropriate build. It would be a waste to have those quads laying about, now wouldn't it ...

Carl