How to make planks sit flush against stem and stern post

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am currently in the process of building my first planking project with Model Shipways Gunboat Philadelphia. I constructed the rabbet per the instruction and currently in the process of planking. While the planks fit into the rabbet, I cannot seem to make the ends of the planks rest flush against the stem and stern post. Should I have cut the ends of the plank at an angle? I apologize in advance if this has already be discussed. Thanks!

Best,

Fritzie

Unless your model has an unusually bluff bow the planks will fit into the rabbet at an angle. Thus the fore end of the plank needs to be angled to match. If it still does not fit flush perhaps your rabbet is too shallow or not wide enough. The plank needs to be pre-shaped to fit the curve of the bow without a lot of pressure or the fore end (hooding) may lift up a bit. Sometimes it is helpful to glue just the  very end of the plank into place first. Once set it will be easier to glue the rest of the plank down without the end lifting from the rabbet.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752