Armed Lugger by altalena18

A couple years ago, I came across pictures of a replica early 19th century lugger, the Grayhoud, from https://www.grayhoundluggersailing.co.uk/ .

This type of rig is simply beautiful and looks fast standing still. The model I built is from plans from an early 20th century Biscay fishing lugger, but the rig is from Lennarth Peterson's Rigging Period Fore-and-Aft Craft, so is based on accurate early 19th century practice including shrouds with ratlines and cordage shrouds and stays rather than steel cable, for example. I also armed her with eight carronades. I found some plans thanks to lovely people from this forum, and built it over the last two years. I've been taking pictures of the process here and there, but I was kind of lazy so I didn't update a build log 😳. So here are some of my pictures with explanations of how the build went, and when I'm done setting up this log I'll post in the gallery. Thanks to everyone who helped me find those plans! Here are some reference photos first.

1 186 copie.jpg

1 235 copie.jpg

35723698241_8e06a1bd92_o.jpg

dscn0982.jpg

P1000419.jpg

Here are the first steps. I made up a complete set of parts from the lines in Adobe Illustrator, and took them to be laser cut in aircraft grade plywood. I made as many frames as I could to make strength and fairing easier, and so that I wouldn't have to put in as many filler blocks. The fit was extremely precise, perhaps even too precise, as it took some adjusting to make sure all the bulkheads were fair and aligned. I also laser cut a raised section in the middle for the hatches and companionway. I planked the deck with mahogany planks. 

IMG_20170131_180642.jpg

IMG_20170131_184129.jpg

IMG_20170202_115208.jpg

IMG_20170202_220808.jpg

Looking good, Eitan.

Interesting (but totally useless) fact: The vessels that used to be used for pearling in Broome (top left hand corner of Australia) were referred to as luggers, but were always gaff-rigged. I've no idea why . . .

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Here are some pictures of the deck. The gratings were from Syren Ship Models, and I bought the windlass readymade and modified it. The carronades were originally Syren cannons, but I discovered that my lugger was too small for them, so I had to do a lot of careful surgery to turn them into carronades.

IMG_20171120_202309.jpg

IMG_20180428_185402.jpg

IMG_20180428_185407.jpg

And here is a bit of my process for making sails. I traced the patterns from the plans onto printer paper, then copied them out onto strips of linen hinging tape which I laid down in overlapping strips. I then peeled them off, cut some hinging tape into thinner strips for the edges, then hand sewed all the edges and overlaps, including boltropes and other details, and reefing points on the sails that have them.

IMG_20180704_182606.jpg

IMG_20180704_182619.jpg

IMG_20180704_183116.jpg

IMG_20180815_162705.jpg