3D printer, building from scratch and tests - by cristikc

As it was the retired period from a 40 years period of tv, graphics, and 3d projects, i said it is time to test a second tool. The first was a laser and CNC tool.

Now i bought a 3d printer to make from scratch, and i will show some tests.

This are some of the first tests, working for the ship hobby.

I also mede some "toys" for my granddaughter, just to see how to work.

It seams it is a good tool, and to test parts for ships is excellent.

I will show how i build, pictures and explanations soon

Cristi

cat1-gata.jpg

tinker.jpg

tun-1.jpg

tun-2.jpg

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

A quickly tour in pictures of how was made, in about 8 hours (with test and fist tuning.

All parts were covered with gray protection, and i have to take away, it was a lot of time used for this "job".

Also you have to take care to all the arrangements, and the 90deg, and paralel position of the parts.

And in final i had "Printer ready"mont-15.thumb.jpg.181a2e69151b5e201d4925d59f791593.jpg

mont-05.jpg

mont-06.jpg

mont-2.jpg

mont-03.jpg

mont-0.jpg

mont-01.jpg

mont-04.jpg

mont-02.jpg

mont-07.jpg

mont-08.jpg

mont-09.jpg

mont-10.jpg

mont-11.jpg

mont-12.jpg

mont-13.jpg

mont-14.jpg

test1.jpg

mont-1.jpg

mont-2.jpg

The first test was a box, that is one of the 5-6 stl given for tests.

Cristi; thanx for sharing!!  The building and results process are VERY impressive.

The "scratch building" discussion will probably have voters on both sides. I belong to a few other sites and "I think" most members would consider using 3D printed parts part of the scratch process especially when they develop the cad files for the process. One parallel that comes to mind is that most scratch builders probably don't cast or turn the cannons they use in the scratch building process. I can't vote on this since I'm as far removed from being a scratch builder as possible...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

10 minutes ago, CDW said:

I would say that if a modeler used a 3D CAD program to design his/her model, then printed it on their 3D printer, most definitely that would be scratch building. Hands down.

I'd agree wholeheartedly. I'm just wondering if modeling judges will disqualify "scratchbuilt" models with 3D printed parts once somebody finds a way to sell a wide range of download-able (and easily infinitely scalable) 3D parts printing programs. A catalogue of every part imaginable, downloadable in CAD format from the internet, would not be all that difficult to create. (And might be a nice retirement income enterprise for some CAD-savvy forumite!)

I can say that for model railroad modeling contests, if you do the actual CAD work, it's scratchbuilt. Whether you actually run the printer or not is irrelevant.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

First of all, many thanks for your interest on my work.

Second, the "starting kit" here is a n easy one, around 220 USD , i can answer just on personal message, not to be considered an "advertiser" for the supplier.

I saw that every one can start to build from "scratch", buing just some special parts.

About the programs, there are a lot to use, and build STL or OBJ models. Ex FreeCad... 3dMax... and so on..., depand on the level of experience.

Also the are a lot of free prograrams and objects to download.

Regards and if i can give some help, just ask

Cristi

Thanks for this informative discussion on a subject with which I am currently experimenting with also Cristi; will follow with great interest.

How are the grandkids mate?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

the first "gun" and carriage, made from different PLA color.

The model is made from "scratch" using some model 3d software

The most important test is to add some "heraldic signs" on the gun

The ready gun, with "heraldic sign" will be soon ready to show.

Cristi

tun1.jpg

tun2.jpg

tun3.jpg

tun4.jpg

tun5.jpg

That looks fun Cristi... What is the name of the printer?

Have you tried to "smooth" the cannon with acetone? It depends on what plastic you use but I've seen som pretty good results with brushing acetone on "low res" prints...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

For Mr Pucko, the printer is Anet A6, and for Y.T. the lenght of the gun (black part) is 12 cm

Cristi

I had the same thought: at this size, you should be able to make the gun/carriage from wood resulting a more convincing result.

The additional worth of a 3D is making parts that you can't do yourself due to size/complexity.

Small guns with nice emblemata on it, complex lanterns, carvings (especially the repetitive ones that are used all over the ship) 

Is this printer capable of doing that kind of stuff?

Jan

About the dimentions of what i made.

You can think that the nozzle diameter is 0.4 mm and this is let's say how small is the line.

I can meke smaller thinks, but the gun i wanted to be so big, to have one to work with my granddaughter, to make a combat station  

like Mantua-740 ( as we want to make together in futrure) and this made from 2d printer will be a test.

I made some other parts, to test, for the other two grandchildren. Ex

the yellow ring is 2.8 cm high. The toys are 3cm the head, and the Barbie head is 2.5 cm high. So there are a lot of good accuracy if you make the model ok in the software.

IAs i said, this as just some tests, and for larger parts... 

Cristi

2inele.jpg

animale.jpg

barbie-gata.jpg

tinker.jpg

inel-floare-detaliu.jpg

And after tests i made a "linette" for my Unimat lathe.

I also included picture from the software, and the work time on 3d printer, and the results

If anyone is interested, just ask

Regard Cristian

soft used to make the projectU-linette1-obj3.jpg.5393b699a05ca6598d931ea383567531.jpgvcapture from software used to prepare the gcode for printerU-linette1-obj.jpg.4baf3b3121a54231dfaf0eccef6c2fb2.jpgU-linette1-bara44.jpg.5a4c51fef36241086c27ed16abbcd38d.jpgU-linette1-bara22.jpg.6a6f59718a9f4231a4f2e5798d51a6cc.jpgtime at the end of the print, to see the timefinal result with spareslin6.thumb.jpg.5abf3e5ff9b9de7c40a3320768ad463c.jpglin5.thumb.jpg.fdab45ab489aa4b13732c1f70b05890a.jpglin4.thumb.jpg.6d1fde6b25e56f7fb117d818868757c0.jpglin3.thumb.jpg.d208464a30f66c5d95193ab3b8e084f2.jpglin2.thumb.jpg.a4fc1a199320e99c4c27c99b2132e9e1.jpglin1-1.thumb.jpg.61b7366b370845c548448c155ace761f.jpgon "printer bad" after is finished