Here is what I would do at first blush. Check the keel or false keel against the prints. If you find it correct I would infill the inside of the stem and modify the outboard edge of it to have a uniform stem along its form. If the stem is correct then work the false keel. at the point of disagreement in a similar manner.

Joe

53 minutes ago, grsjax said:

I would sand it to fit.  Others may have different advice.

I would check the fit of the rest of the keel before doing any sanding as it may affect the fit of the whole keel.

By the way I hear that grsjax is now looking down the barrel of a major hurricane tonight.  I hope his hatches are all battened down, well stocked for the long haul, and he isn't washed out to sea!  We've made several trips to Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui with friends over the years and are very aware of the fact that there are numerous steep gullies and valleys to funnel all that rain down to the sea in a hurry.  Wouldn't want to get in the way!  Also with a very limited number of roads around the islands coasts, if they get washed out like things did here the other day, traffic and power may come to a halt for quite a while.  Lahina and that whole area around it are within easy reach of any storm surge.  Good luck to you and  yours grsjax! 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

1 hour ago, BETAQDAVE said:

By the way I hear that grsjax is now looking down the barrel of a major hurricane tonight.  I hope his hatches are all battened down, well stocked for the long haul, and he isn't washed out to sea!  We've made several trips to Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui with friends over the years and are very aware of the fact that there are numerous steep gullies and valleys to funnel all that rain down to the sea in a hurry.  Wouldn't want to get in the way!  Also with a very limited number of roads around the islands coasts, if they get washed out like things did here the other day, traffic and power may come to a halt for quite a while.  Lahina and that whole area around it are within easy reach of any storm surge.  Good luck to you and  yours grsjax! 

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Luckly we are in a spot that doesn't flood and can last for several days if the roads get cut.  Biggest problem is going to be power outages.  If a lot of lines go down we could be using candles for a week or more.  Makes doing fine work very difficult.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Here are a couple pictures of what I found. The fit is close but not as close as I think it should be. The keel is wider then the plans. The curve and size of the stem not exact. How can that be? Laser cut and the fit is that bad? The first pic shows that the keel is much taller then the plans. And try as I might I cannot get the curve of the stem to match the plans. I don't mind sanding to correct but am I being to critical and this just how it is

k.jpg

k2.jpg

Which model is this?   Just curious.   And also is the bevel (or is it wood thickness, can't tell from the photos) follow the rabbet?  

Lastly, some model kits (I'm noting AL here especially) have parts and have plans.  Laying the part on the plan doesn't seem to work as the plans are not the size of the of wood. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Which model is this?   Just curious.   And also is the bevel (or is it wood thickness, can't tell from the photos) follow the rabbet?  

Lastly, some model kits (I'm noting AL here especially) have parts and have plans.  Laying the part on the plan doesn't seem to work as the plans are not the size of the of wood. 

Model Shipways English Pinnace. I thought the bevel I put into the the false keel made the rabbet.

The only advice I can offer at that moment (not having built that model) is to do a search here on MSW for "pinnace shipways".   There's been quite a few build logs.. (you cans also search here:  )    And lastly, Chuck (admin) designed this kit.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)