Anyone using electric plank bender?

I never used an electric plank bender. I have always worked without one.I use warm water and clamps with some cylinders of various diameters.

I dont know if this tool makes planking really easier. And if it is really a helpfull tool, again I woud not know which one to buy?

I have found three:

amati, artesania latina and modelcraft. 

Has someone allready used this tools? What is the experience made? 

Appreciate any help.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

My experience with bending wood is for musical instruments, and this is usually means hardwoods in the range of 2-3 mm thickness.  I use an electric blanket and bend the wood dry clamped on a form, or the same after a light misting with water and wrapping with aluminum foil.  The temperature is somewhat dependent upon the species of wood, in the range of 250-400F.  Generally, I think that softwoods won't bend as well as hardwoods, but that may not be so because guitarbuilders don't bend softwoods.

However, you don't need to do this.  You could use a clothes iron, or pieces of pipe fitted to a heatgun that is clamped in a vise or fixture. As you draw the wood across the hot pipe, you'll feel it relax and can shape it as you go.  This will take practice but it will work.  Also, wood bends in compression, not expansion, so fractures may occur on the outer side of the piece unless it is reinforced while bending.

One other thing, the output of a heatgun (or blanket) can be regulated by using a 'router controller' from Harbor Freight costing about $20.   Most lamp dimmers are limited to 600 watts, so don't use that instead.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Bob Blarney

I ve found that soaking wood in very hot water for 30 secs, allows extreme bends on most woods, even at 2 mm thickness, equally well to steaming the wood. I also have an old hair iron similar to this one which works well on wet thin strips that need to take extreme bends. I ve made laminated mast hoops with this iron very easily.

HP8696.jpg.7c1047ef8be8f258e8f86a9e8b4ecc38.jpg

I don't think there is a pinch of difference in them. They look like a soldering iron with a large round tip. In fact mine came with a soldering iron tip. But you do get a form to help control the bend and a stand to set it on. I used one for my Hermione hull which uses 2mm thick strips and it worked fine.

I bought mine on Amazon. It was a Model Shipways product.

Russ

Edited by RussR
added a word

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Thanks Russ,

So I went for the Shipways product trusting your experience. The only thing I could not find it in europe and bringing it from USA means extra shippment cost and VAT.

You have been very helpfull my friend...  and I believe you are right: "there is'nt a pinch of diference". And I am loosing my hair to make a choice 🤯

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

7 hours ago, MESSIS said:

extra shippment cost and VAT.

Christos,

You are correct.

I have tried to sell stuff from my eBay account and the shipping even as close as Canada usually kills the deal. 

Is Amazon Prime available to you in Cyprus? I take advantage of that all the time. In fact that is how I got my Hermione kit so reasonable.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I have access to amazon uk and amazon de (Germany) but the item there is not available.

I think I ll go for the amati bender or even for that of Artesania Latina (its also 30% cheaper). The one ftom Hobbyzone (Polen) its  not bad but has a very expensive shipment cost to Cyprus.

Thanks for your thoughts Russ

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

33 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

I think I ll go for the amati bender or even for that of Artesania Latina (its also 30% cheaper).

I think you would be happy with either one.

Russ

These heat benders are nothing more than a standard 30 or 40 watt soldering iron with the tip cut off and a brass disk pressed on to the end.  Actually, the soldering tip could be left on.  Very simple to make and even simpler if the the soldering iron can hold different tips, as with the Weller models.   I also have a wood burning iron that takes different screw-on tips:  it wouldn't be difficult to make a large tip.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

I'm one of the curling iron brigade... have two old ones from the Admiral, a 1" and a 1/2" .    They seem to work pretty well.   If you're frugal (ok... cheap like me) you sometimes can find them at 2nd hand shops or garage sales.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@lehmann

Yes dear lehman you are obviously right

.The thing is that  you first got to have a soldering iron (I do have one) and then you have to have a round piece or a cylinder or something, which youll be able to attach well on that iron  So I mean the investment for a new e-bender (€ 20-30) worths the inconvinience even  of  having only  to modify a device you allready have. I think so... . though its very correct all what are you saying.

Thanks for sharing this.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

@mtaylor

Dear mtaylor,

My wife doesnt have one.But last time I was planking I "borrowed" one from my daughter ..... as she found out 😰 wuao she was going to kill me!😁🤔

So I think I better buy a proper one.

Edited by MESSIS

These are the bees knee. Not sold any more. I have had one for over 30 years. If you can find one second hand, snap it up! 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Many years ago, when the SIS magazine was still owned by Clay Feldman, there was an article there about wood bending method by a German modeler Gebhard Kammerlander. He used a special gun with a crescent shaped head (he used to sell it).

He would first soak the strips of wood in  LUKE WARM water for a few minutes and with a medium heat applied, he would bend it like a pretzel. No need for a hot kettle, a curling iron, a hot lightbulb and such...

Everything was easy and quick. You could add more to your bending or lessen it by bending in reverse direction. See the video here:  

Rather than buying this device from Gebhard, I modified my old soldering gun (80 W, 110 Volt Weller) by replacing its tip with a home made head - see pic.

That way, I ended up with two tools - a wood bending tool and a soldering iron.

The only thing I had to fashion, was a heat controlling device, since the heat for wood bending is about 1/3 less than for soldering, otherwise you will burn your wood.

I made it (following the advice from a stain glass class I once took) from an ordinary, cheap household  dimmer available from house building centers and/or electrical supplies stores.

I wholeheartedly recommend trying this method! See if it works for you.

plank bending head.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, mtaylor said:

If you're frugal (ok... cheap like me

My standby, a soup can, veggies, paste, different sizes. Put a candle inside can is horizontal. soak wood can gets super hot can bend 4,5,6, strips quickly superfast. Cost can free, steal Bosses candle and a match. I am cheaper than Mark

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

On 8/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, MESSIS said:

@hornet

Thankyou  hornet,

But thats hard to find. Though I found in Germany by Steingraber this one:

What do you think of this?

gk3100.jpg

The beauty of the aeropiccola bender is the spring loaded roller attachment. It allows you much more control of the bend. I normally use mine while the handle is clamped in a vice. This allows me both hands to work the plank. You could do the same with this bender. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina