Anyone using electric plank bender?

There is a Aropiccola Plank Bender on eBay for anyone interested.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=aeropiccola+bender&_sacat=0

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

• 1 month later...

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

• 2 months later...

I use an ordinary hand held hair dryer - bought it for about $20 US in Target (big box store) - works fine.  I also have the soldering iron/plank bender from (????) and it works fine also.   Hair dryer is easier tho.

You would have to very careful with a hot air gun .  I'm assuming it's the type for paint stripping?  Do some testing on scrap to see if it scorches the wood and if the wood bends easily.   It may be too hot.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just use a cheap old soldering iron and shape planks (after some time in boiling water) to closely match my target area and simply pin in place on model to dry and form to the intended contour.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

On 6/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, mic-art said:

I bought a plank bender from Amati. When i plugged it in for the first time, there started to come smoke near the handle.

Is this normal or did I get a bad sample?

13 hours ago, MESSIS said:

I think its normal

Let it for some time on power until it reaches and keeps its working temperature.. that shall clean it up and end the smoke. Stay there and watch it to be on the safe side.

I did just that and as you said, the smoke ended. It must be some kind of coating - perhaps oil?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Kolderstock make an electric plank bender which is similar to Aeropiccola bender, which doesn't seem to be available.

plankenbuiger_576x576.jpg.6716ba3c38814b91d9b094e3f13f1239.jpg

https://kolderstok.com/en/products/elektrische-plankenbuiger

230V - 50 Hz, 30 W and comes with a European plug.  I am told by Kolderstok that it will work on Australian 240V 50Hz power with an Australian plug adaptor  So I am ordering mine.

In the US, I believe the power supplied to houses is 240V, but stepped down to most outlets to 120V, but there may be outlets available at 240V for appliances requiring more power.

Looks like a great device but us in N America would require single phase 120V 60hz. Our 208 (240) is actually using 2 phases and is used for stoves and dryers on a dual breaker rated from 20-30 amperes. It looks like a good 30 watt soldering iron with a great looking head on it for shaping planks. I have a butane iron I use that would be the cat's meow with that head on it! Come to think of it, it looks like it will fit your average soldering iron...

Edited by Ron Burns

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48