Halifax by Tjalle58 - Constructo - Scale 1:35

Christmas came early this yaear :)  I just got my new model Halifax. After I ordered this I looked around and found an Italian forum and they said that this was not a ship for everyone, pretty hard to build and I found some pictures of the keel with frames that was was very comlicated. Each frame were to build of 9 pieces and a special jig came with the kit. But the was not good so he had to make a new, And so on. So I was a bit worried but when I opened it today it looks good. No strange frames, the step-by-step instructions seems to be good and they even have pictures for every step. I'm really looking forward to start to build it and I will do that parallel with the Thermopylae. I will probably ask thousands of of questions and I hop someone is kind enough to help me on the way

20180823_165818.jpg.ee4ceb27576d87255299f2cd428a5155.jpg

Booklet with step-by-step instruction and photos

20180823_170333.jpg.bbc471719f5f22fc21919b878c36277e.jpg20180823_170346.jpg.3cd0515181789bc051709f698bea78b6.jpg

20180823_170721.jpg.8f8c48186e407573edbcc99cde01465b.jpg

20180823_170500.jpg

20180823_170517.jpg

The bags with parts have the part numbers in it so it's easy to find everything

20180823_171006.jpg.c4f0286a3071c291f022d2a24df8c257.jpg

Wish me good luck :)

Edited by Tjalle58

12 hours ago, Fright said:

Tjalle58 - opening up a box is always fun and I wish you smooth sailing with this build. This is a great place to post and ask questions - the people in here are very kind in helping someone along or giving positive feedback. Enjoy!!! 

This forum is actually better than the swedish I'm a member of. People here are more kind and helpful and I get faster response.

Edited by Tjalle58

And the first question pops up immediately.

Why put this "filler block", nos 21 and 22,  beside the masthole? They are called capelage in the instruction, Google translate don't have that word. This means I need to file the mast to a thin square in order to fit the in hole. Or to cut out the block but in that case, why put it there. It's the same with the other masthole.

20180824_160731.thumb.jpg.888ac656e17bdf513cd64c1073940579.jpg

20180824_160750.thumb.jpg.059aaf022c0b25dcce93dcb6f858bd9c.jpg

looks like you've been bitten by the bug!  ;)    as you can see,  there are different methods in dealing with the mast root....I would drill it out too.  by notching the mast root,  you limit how the mast is assembled.......if the steps are assembled,  you run the risk of being off center.   happy to follow along  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

48 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

looks like you've been bitten by the bug!  ;)    as you can see,  there are different methods in dealing with the mast root....I would drill it out too.  by notching the mast root,  you limit how the mast is assembled.......if the steps are assembled,  you run the risk of being off center.   happy to follow along  :) 

Hi!

That is what I meant, it looked stupid to file the mast. But I should have thought of that I could drill. Well well, everyone is a beginner in the beginning 😂

2 hours ago, Tjalle58 said:

I have glued all the frames and it is time to glue the filler blocks in the stern. The fit is terrible and the instruction is wrong so this is going to be an interesting journey :)

Hello, you have to cut elements 23 and 24. It's good for you.

Greetings, Piotrek

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Dali

Looking good so far.

My first build was by Constructo, and if that was anything to go by, expect the instructions to become even worse. Writer seemed to lose interest 1/4 of the way through. I do like the way they put the parts in bags and have them numbered though, makes easy to find the right parts.

Current-

HMS Bounty 1:48 by Artesania Latina

Finished-

Gjoa by Constructo

21 hours ago, Trig said:

Looking good so far.

My first build was by Constructo, and if that was anything to go by, expect the instructions to become even worse. Writer seemed to lose interest 1/4 of the way through. I do like the way they put the parts in bags and have them numbered though, makes easy to find the right parts.

The numbered bags is good but so far I'm not impressed but I have just started it so I'll guess I'll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I thought I work a bit with Halifax so I started to sand and dryfit the keel and the bow (the instruction calls it stern :) ) on the false keel.

The fit is worse than terrible.20180912_175107.jpg.e27c7570ee1949239bba337c0750f44a.jpg

They are prefabricated? well, the bow is but the keel is 16 cm. too long !!20180912_175140.jpg.3889a4f6193aa34ced8ea8c451c8a35d.jpg

This is going to take a while but I have learned one thing.

I will never again buy a model from Constructo. I've read about it before I ordered this so I was warned but I thought "how bad can it be?"

Can it be worse? Well well, I'll have to take it like a man 😭  😂

21 hours ago, Tjalle58 said:

It's not that bad, you'll adjust the keel later when you've made the cover. Problems will be later, at 

the stage of rigging, there are simply no solutions, there are no ropes, there is no need to attach, but

you will have to use other materials - books.

Do not be discouraged and keep building, because Halifax is a really beautiful schooner.

Greetings, Piotrek 

Halifax.jpg

A little sanding will get that fit fixed. Many kits have these sort of issues. Look at it as a learning experience and a exercise in problem solving. A problem solving gift that keeps on giving. You’ll get through it just keep a lot of sand paper and #11 blades on hand. Just yesterday I was attaching pre shaped planking to the side of a small boat kit and as I cut a piece loose I launched that sucker into the parts black hole that seems to exist in my shop. Had to make a new piece.  Ten years ago I just would have thrown it in the fire but each kit and it’s associated issues and solutions really helps. Have fun with it.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

there are many kits where parts need to be fitted to the model........believe it or not,  this is fairly normal.  ;)    one thing to think about having to do this,  is that it's kind of an introduction to scratch building....half the work is done for you.   to me,  this is what brings out the scratch builder in all of us  ;)     you'll do fine..........take your time  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, Dali said:

It's not that bad, you'll adjust the keel later when you've made the cover. Problems will be later, at 

the stage of rigging, there are simply no solutions, there are no ropes, there is no need to attach, but

you will have to use other materials - books.

Do not be discouraged and keep building, because Halifax is a really beautiful schooner.

Greetings, Piotrek 

Halifax.jpg

Wow, looks very good. Yes I will keep building. I think it's a beautilful ship too and your picture inspires me to continue. Thanks for the encouragement 👍

Thanks for the encouragemnet from you guys. I will definitely keep on building, especially after this. I guess I'm stuck in the plastic models from the seventies when I was a kid. Everything fitted and one just had to follow the instructions. But somehow this is more challenging and the result is more beautiful so again: I will never stop this :). More pictures to come but my first priority is Thermopylae.

Do not get frustrated. Model building, I'm finding out, teaches one patience and problem solving like everyone has mentioned. I just finished my 1st wooden ship and, not only did I walk away with some new knowledge and skills, but I am very grateful for all of the support and advice that I received from members in this site. No worries and set your course! :cheers:

Robert O

2 hours ago, Fright said:

Do not get frustrated. Model building, I'm finding out, teaches one patience and problem solving like everyone has mentioned. I just finished my 1st wooden ship and, not only did I walk away with some new knowledge and skills, but I am very grateful for all of the support and advice that I received from members in this site. No worries and set your course! :cheers:

Hi Robert!

Yes the members here are very helpful. Patience was one of the things I had to work with and now I fully understand what it means :) Working with wood gets better and better so yes, experience will come. Amazing hobby I must say :)

What ship did you build?

Tjalle58 - I just finished the Bluenose schooner by Scientific, an old company that made wooden airplanes and ships back in the 60's. For me, working with wood gives one a feel that they are actually building a ship. A lot more creative and one certainly learns a lot of skills with these ;)

DSCN5584.JPG

Edited by Fright

Robert O

First: Very nice build, this is what I am aiming for. I have a bit left before I can build like this. Mine don't look so clean yet but I'm working on it and it will come. I'm a member in swedish facebook-group for modellers and 90% of them build plastic models. They are extremely skilled but I prefer to stay with the wood. I think, as you say, it another feeling.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a old post but hoping somebody can help, I have acquired this set but missing the wood sheets that have frame of the hull and the deck on, is there any way to replace this or solve, seems a waste as the rest of the kit is brand new. Hope someone can help and thank you for your time.

• 1 month later...

Hi!  Any chance you would be willing to sell the instruction book?  My Grandsons name is Halifax (and I was born there). My son bought the kit but it came without the instructions (overwhelming). We would love to build it...

please respond to cindy@cindyhedgecock.com. Thanks.