brace pendants

It is my general impression that the US Navy did not employ brace pendants. The brace blocks in all of the sail plans I can find are seized directly to the yard arms at the shoulder. Anybody know anything about this?

Edited by michaelpsutton2
typos

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

• 2 weeks later...

Mondfeld, in Historic Ship Models, says ( with regard to Europe )  the pendant was very short in ancient/medieval  times and grew longer until the 16/17th centuries when it was

4/10 ( 2/5 ) the length of the yard.

In the course of the 18th century it was shortened until around 1800, when it was situated immediately on the yard arm.

I would suspect US practices would have closely followed Europe in many respects.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Michael,  From what I understand,  the american navy strapped a thimble to the yard and attached the thimble of the block with another timble,  there is a name for this method,  but I don't remember it right now.  The americans were inovative in their rigging and europe tended to follow . -Hal     

14 minutes ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Hi Michael,  From what I understand,  the american navy strapped a thimble to the yard and attached the thimble of the block with another timble,  there is a name for this method,  but I don't remember it right now.  The americans were inovative in their rigging and europe tended to follow . -Hal     

I think the term for this was called "Dog and Bitch" in England.

Dave :dancetl6: