YA-1 Yamaha Motorcycle by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - CARD

Hi all,

After finishing HMS Hood I've decided to do something a bit different this time. A change is as good as a holiday, as they say :D.

This is a free download of a Card model - a vintage Yamahe YA-1, the first bike that Yamaha made. This won't be a comprehensive Build Log, but I'll post pics as I complete certain significant sub-assemblies.

The kit is not particularly good (different to what I'm used to might be more appropriate), as they would have you use Tabs throughout the build. I'm cutting them off and edge-gluing instead. The instructions are VERY good for a card model, every step is highly detailed.

First thing (and I'm following the instructions with this one ;) :D) is the Headlight :

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

No clear lacquer has been applied yet. It will "hide" the unsightly excess glue marks when it's on. Next things are the front shock absorbers. The "rubber" boots took a while to make :

IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

The Headstock comes next. Some of these parts are a bit tricky to work out how they fold at first, but I'm quickly getting used to it :) :

IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

Updates will follow when I have something substantial to show.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Some time ago I looked at the downloads Yamaha  put out. Unlike you, I only looked! I look forward to seeing this go together, Dan.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 8/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, amateur said:

Yamaha-site will be closing very soon. Download one if you need one!

jan

Thanks for the "heads-up" Jan. I've downloaded all the remaining five motorbikes, I'll decide later if I make another (or all of them :D).

The front fender took a fair bit of work, some delicate cutting and edge-gluing :

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

A few hours work in the fender braces :

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

This sub-assembly is finished for now :

IMG_5310.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

looking good, Dan! this brings back memories of my MT-01 build. could you explain a bit how you do edge gluing? just in case I'm going to tackle another one. cutting those tabs was driving me nuts back then. 

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

• 2 weeks later...

Denis, the MT-01 or the MT-10 will be my next card model bike :). Edge gluing isn't easy - you generally have only a 0.25mm edge to glue. Sometimes I might laminate an extra piece inside the join to make it a bit easier.

This kit has three stages. The first one is now finished. Here's a particularly tricky piece to cut and fold :) :

IMG_5311.JPG

The seat is one of the most difficult pieces I've found so far, owing to the multiple curves. It hasn't turned out quite as well as I hoped, so it's going to get sanded and painted. I used sanding sealer to fill in all the joins :

IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

The frame has a lot of tube rolling involved. Where it needs extra strength there's an internal support :

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

Stage one finished. I haven't permanently attached the steering/front guard assembly yet, as it's rather difficult to hold the frame with it in place while I'm fitting the engine, seat etc :

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

5 hours ago, amateur said:

You could have printed and glued the seat again (and again) till it was as perfect as you wanted it to be?

That might still happen Jan ;).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

really nice job so far Danny........I see the non ship builds have been separated from the other threads.   neat idea  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A couple more steps in the build - the Fuel Tank, Drive Chain and Engine :

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

The tank still needs a couple of pieces to be added before it's finished. I need to re-print a page for one part, which I'll do when I get more photo paper :

IMG_5333.JPG

The drive chain comes in several sections, and takes some cutting. It's actually easier to make than it looks :) :

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

The curved sections of chain need to be squeezed in and glued between the links :

IMG_5328.JPG

The Engine took me three days to build. The crankcase hasn't turned out too bad, considering the different sections in it :

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_5324.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

I fitted the forward section of chain before gluing on the R/H crankcase cover, it would have been impossible later on :

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5330.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

20 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

Dan,

May I ask what type of paper do you use for printing the designs? Regular, extra thick, matte, glossy photo paper...?

I'm using Matte Photo Paper - 170gsm weight, which measures at 0.25mm thick.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I updated this log, but I've actually done quite a lot as you'll see. The battery in my old camera failed and it took me a while to find a replacement :(.

The fuel tank is finished, although I had to cut off a couple of pieces, re-print them and glue them back on which I did after taking these pics :

IMG_5332.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

The chain took a while to make, but I'm really happy with the results. I only glued on the front and rear sprocket pieces at this stage, the straight bits came after the engine was fitted to the frame :

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

A few of the smaller pieces. This is the piece that made up the gearshift pedal :

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5337.JPG

The carburettor and fuel filter :

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

The rear mudguard. It is lined on the under side, the same as the front guard :

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

The rear rack :

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

And finally for this post - the exhaust header pipe :

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Next up is the hardest part of the whole build _ the wheel/tyre combinations. If I'd have done these first I wouldn't have continued with the build. The design is very poor to say the least (it's much improved on other motorbikes in this series) and I'm not very happy at all with the way they turned out. But it is what it is - I won't be re-making them.

Here are some of the pieces for one of the wheels :

IMG_5353.JPG

As this model Yamaha has spoked wheels rather than the mags of later models work starts with a "frame" that holds the hub and spokes. Why they chose that horrible aqua colour is a mystery, it gave me a bit of grief later on. If they were light grey it would have been a lot better :

IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

Once I'd finished the spokes, for which I used mercerised cotton, the temporary spokes were cut off :

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

That was all the progress pics I took - the following post has the pics of the finished model.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The model is now finished. I coated it with clear gloss from a rattle can. I'll build a stand for it, as it's rather difficult to pick up without damaging anything. The actual stand on the model is rather fragile - I've broken it several times already, but I managed to glue it back together each time.

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

Next model will be another Yamaha - the MT-01 (2005 - 2012) model. I've already made a start on it, and I'll post some pics shortly.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Dan I am impressed! I don't think I have the patience for doing one of those. It is amazing how much can be done with card.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful work Danny,

not only in card but also as nostalgic oldtimer, a treat for the eyes !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Dan,

This one zipped by me. How can you work that paper at that small scale and keep it so neat is beyond me. How do you avoid carpal tunnel.

Excellent work as always. Believe your having a paper model orgasm. As many as you have punched out I would have braces on both forearms and hands.

Kudos:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Looks pretty darn good from here, Danny.  An impressive bit of work involved from watching the buildlog.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

great looking model Danny :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch