Mast Wood choice

Matrim

Greetings all,

Currently I am moving onto the masts of my Bounty and was wondering about color. The kit comes with standard (very white) dowels which i dont like so  I dyed my bowsprit a walnutty/brown dye ...and dont like that either.

This set me to thinking about maybe getting my own wood supply of a better color (so no dye involved) and turning the masts myself. I am using a lathe to 'shape' them so it is a small step to get them to size in the first place.

I spent some time looking through pictures and the color choices do seem wide though a sort of yellowy color seems common in many of the paintings, older models seem to be all over the place color wise)

So basically does anyone have any opinions as to a good wood type to mimic the actual mast type (wasn't it pine?) for a English ship circa 1770.

Thanks for any opinions!

So much depends on personal taste. Many model-makers (myself included) use Castello boxwood, aka lemonwood or lancewood. It is creamy yellow ochre in color, has very tight grain and, if well seasoned, does not warp. Also, if you are modeling a 1770's era ship, sections of the masts and spars are square or octagonal. It is much easier to cut and shape them than to turn them. That was the was it was done in the old days as there weren't lathes that long!

C lower masts 3.9.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv