What am I not understanding?

RussR

I have been interested in the Occre Endeavour 1:54 Scale Model Ship Kit. It also says that the Endeavour was 106 feet long.

According to the description, it is 815mm long at 1:54 scale. 

But if you plug these numbers in to an online scale calculator, the scale is closer to 1:40.

I need an education.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by RussR
Added detail

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

It depends on the definition of 'length'. It could be length on the upper deck, length on the keel, length overall, etc. One needs to know the definition of the length quoted.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Russ,

Two options:

1. What is meant by length? Length overall, length on the waterline, ....? It is quite possible that you have just taken two different data and both can be correct. The best would be to have good blueprints.

2. common issue with European kit producers: their kits are often just a distant resemblance of the original. 1:54 is odd scale anyway. It is very possible that it really does not match as you calculated. Also it is possible, that if you start to measure also other dimensions, you get even more various scale proposals. I had this experience with model Lynx from Panart: they give the scale of 1:62 (sometimes it seems like a competition who comes with the strangest scale :) ). I obtained the copy of the original plan of the real ship and start to measure.... Well,  I ended up at scale varying from 1:57 to 1:60, even worse when I compared the overall hull shape and profile, deck arrangement, opining position etc etc....   Sometimes it really seems to me like first the kit is designed and then only the manufacturer thinks, what scale will he print on the box.... Endeavour is quite a popular kit subject. If you want accuracy, go for Caldercraft kit. If you want to build Occre, I would recommend to build it but not to measure - what you get may not please you then.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Druxey and juhu, thank you for your reply.

According to Occre the Endeavour was overall 106 feet long. And I assumed it was 106 feet from the bowsprit to the stern. So I guess one can't go by the stated scale.  Its to bad there isn't a standard.

PS: Caldercraft Endeavour is a nice model but doesn't come with sails.

A ship without sails is a raft 😊.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

5 minutes ago, RussR said:

PS: Caldercraft Endeavour is a nice model but doesn't come with sails.

A ship without sails is a raft 😊.

RussR

Well, indeed, but sails can be added. And often more realistic than what is offered directly in the kit. But of course, it is up to you. :)

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

If I had the time, space, tools, and know how I would like to be a scratch builder. But until then I have to be contented to be a wannabee kit builder.

I wasted my life making a living. 😊 

RussR

38 minutes ago, RussR said:

I wasted my life making a living. 😊

Perhaps "making a life while living" wouldn't have been wasted😉

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

22 minutes ago, michael mott said:

Perhaps "making a life while living" wouldn't have been wasted😉

I wasted my life making a living. 😊That was a joke.

I use to snow ski, water ski, distance running, hunting/fishing, etc. 

Physically, I cant do those things anymore. 

Model kit building gives my pea brain something to do.

It beats sitting on the porch and swatting flys. 

RussR

Edited by RussR
Added a line

Hi Russ I knew it was a joke that's why I used the winked icon.

I hear you about those activities, I wake up each day nowadays with a ache or pain somewhere, and the arthritis is a royal annoyance. I used to run and now walking sometimes is a pain.

It's too cold up here for swatting flies on the porch. 4degrees Celsius right now

Cheers Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I think I have located the answer to my question. According to Wikepidia, the length of the  Replica Endeavour  is 143 ft, bowsprit to stern.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Bark_Endeavour_Replica

So when I plug the numbers into the scale calculator, the scale is very close to the stated scale of 1/54.

My confidence is restored.

What threw me was the stated overall length of 106 ft. but that probably didn't include the bowsprit.

RussR

Edited by RussR
corrected miss spelled word