new to me scalpel handle

I just came across a new shape (to me) scalpel handle. I like to use scalpel blades in modeling and have tried different handles. I never liked the fat ergonomic ones. This is a number 3. It feels like an xacto handle. The best part its only 4.99 on eBay. An xacto feels like a natural extension of my hand after so many years.    KurtB26E041C-89E7-4139-9429-35AE0D616B9B.thumb.jpeg.4a0b5e57964cc5445c78c6d583127d14.jpeg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

That is a nice looking knife handle. If you ever buy the flat surgical handles look for the ones made by Bard Parker. They are head and shoulders better than the ones made in India. The blades fit much better with much less wiggle and they are made of much harder material that holds up better. I have some that I have been using for 35 years and they are like the day I got them.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I was gifted a Bard Parker style handle some years ago that has a lovely balance. Google:

Bard Parker 371070 Scalpel Handle Size 7

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

20 hours ago, druxey said:

I was gifted a Bard Parker style handle some years ago that has a lovely balance. Google:

Bard Parker 371070 Scalpel Handle Size 7

I have used scalpels vs Exacto for many years.  I went to the #7 handle at the recommendation of Toni Levine.  Swann-Morton.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Just an update on the scalple handle after using it a little bit I think its garbage. It looks cool but thats about it. The rear portion screws off, which it does by itself. It’s more cheaply made than a standard XActo. I did get the Bard Parker 371070. It is nice but it should be for a real scalple. They go for over $100 when new. Mine’s not, so $10 isn’t too bad. It will take a while to get used to the  thinness where you hold it. As intended there would be no resistence when using so a very light touch would be fine. Using on wood, etc, I’m not sure yet how comfortable it would be trying to hold it more firmly. I guess you could put tape or silicone tubing where your thumb and forefinger would go. We’ll see.

Kurt

39305D91-734A-4CE3-9F06-36A2378DB61D.jpeg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

I would never consider using a scalpel for heavy duty work.  The blades are designed to incise flesh, not wood or plastic.  They also cannot be resharpened the way an Xacto can.  For myself, I find the #7 handle superior to the more typical #3 handle.  I have a small hand and this handle allows me to grip the handle with my fingers almost completely extended, allowing me to look over my fingers to the workpiece more easily.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I have a couple of knives that I use for chip carving that I've found to be very handy in shipbuilding. These are full tang M2 steel hardened to Rc 58-59.

They have very thin tangs (.040) and hollow ground. A standard knife and a modified knife (Thinner) Extremely sharp and can stoned/honed to keep their edge.

662470289_ChipCarvingKnives.thumb.jpg.f5a17ac5c775023ea0b31776b5c136e0.jpg

Edited by rtibbs2018

• 1 month later...

I bought a couple of scalpel handles at the weekend from a Boot fair. I paid one pound for the two!

One is an early and barely used Swann Morton and the other is a Paragon with the metric scale up one side.  Both Made In England it proudly states.

Otherwise I use home made knives ground from old table knives or one of a plethora of aluminium craft knives that I have been bought in sets. Failing that there's always the good old Stanley knife, which some people call box cutters.  Beyond that...band saw!

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

In the past, I made a set of small knives from old hacksaw blades. It's really not so hard to make them. The steel is quite good enough for this purpose and they can be readily sharpened, and the blade and handle shapes can be easily customized to suit the purpose and the hand.  A heavier blade can be made from a reciprocating saw blade, or even heavier yet from power hacksaw blade.   

Edited by Bob Blarney