Richmond

Sanding and wicking - related issues?

I am not getting the best results when sanding the edges of bulkheads etc with a lot of distortion, thickened edges which causes issues when assembling the hull and looks quite unprofessional.

Is this a result of some method, i.e. direction of sanding, incorrect grade of sandpaper or failure to wick.

I haven't seen references to methods for wicking with thin CA's - the how to, when to and why to.

ditto sanding methods.

Maybe I have overlooked them.

I  would appreciate members inputs into this discussion.

Edited by Richmond

On 9/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, Richmond said:

Is this a result of some method, i.e. direction of sanding, incorrect grade of sandpaper or failure to wick.

Probably a combination of things. I use a sanding stick fitted with 120 grit paper, and do my final sanding by running the stick downwards rather than horizontally. To clean up thickened edges use a sharp scalpel. I've never bothered with wicking CA on the edges of bulkheads. Practise makes perfect, you'll get better at it every time you do it :).

Danny

I like to put the sand paper around a 20mm round dowel when doing this job. If you place the handle end without the sand paper on against the proceeding bulkhead and move it up and down rather than across it cuts a nice edge. You will also not be removing any wood from the bulkhead which the handle is on it simply acts as a guide whilst the sanding end shapes your intended bulkhead. I have found this to be a precise way which gives you a lot of control too. 

9 hours ago, wefalck said:

What is 'wicking' - 'soaking' ?

In this context wicking refers to the ability of a liquid - in this case thin CA - to be drawn into a substance by capillary action. Just as the wick in a candle draws melted wax to be burned. 

Derek