Golden Hind by dkuehn - Dusek - Scale 1:72

I don't actually have the kit yet, I ordered it last night from Model Expo, but I figured I'd go ahead and start the build log. I probably wouldn't have done a build log, but it looks like there aren't any for this kit yet, so I'll give it a go. I have done a build log in the past, but that was before the big crash wiped out the board. I think it was the HMS Pickle that I did here. I also did Chuck's Mayflower, but that was on another forum where he had been posting his prototype build. He had me do my log right at the end of his. 

I have surfed many of the build logs and there are some insanely talented builders, I am not one of them. I like chugging through the build and then enjoying the finished product. If I were to shoot for perfection I'd never get the thing planked. So this should move along quickly, but I certainly won't do the kit the justice it deserves, but hopefully it will be helpful to some. 

As I don't have the kit yet, I have no pictures to post, but here's a link to the kit on Duesk's site. http://www.dusekshipkits.com/golden-hind

I suffer from the same problem, I have been working on a card model for many weeks now having never worked on card. I have started the log which amounted to just a picture of the model, however I am trying to achieve perfection or should I say perfection within my capabilities before I actually post the build. There has been a lot of rework.

I am not even contemplating a DORIS work of art, I just need to show something good before I post, I am getting there albeit slowly.

Thankfully card models are so forgiving in that it costs so little to throw away work and start again.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• 2 weeks later...

A build log of a Golden Hind is always interesting for me.
I hope you can start soon with your  model.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Great start 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Just noticed a mistake I made. The bowsprit hole is supposed to be on the starboard side, I have it on port. I just built the Lady Nelson and it is on the port side on that kit so I just went with it. No big deal, I'll just drill the hole on the proper side, but I certainly wish I'd done it right the first time. 

20180912_165943.thumb.jpg.17c63ced2bdff46c042aedf287c3d691.jpg

I have the planking on the bow and stern ready for the final fairing of the hull. I fixed the mistake with the bowsprit hole and it is now on the starboard side. I need to be more careful than I usually am with the fairing as this is a single planked hull. I am used to being able to use filler to hide sloppy work on the first planking. We'll see how this one goes. I'll have to grow a little as a modeler on this ship. 

20180914_084752.jpg

20180914_092445.jpg

Edited by dkuehn

I wasn't sure where to start planking and after a lot of thought I decided not to overthink it and start at the top and work down. The plans say to start at the bow, so that's what I did. But I also started the planking at the stern as I couldn't think of a reason not to. 

20180914_121042.jpg

I remember seeing Chuck post something about bending planks, this is an attempt to replicate my recollection of his post. I have several planks going at once as these don't require much of a bend. 

20180914_121130.jpg

Edited by dkuehn

Alright, I figured out what I'm going to do. Normally the kits I do have gunport patterns and that really simplifies it. I'm starting at the bow and running along the bulkhead tops of the main deck. The plank seems to like going there. Then I'm letting it lay where it wants to. 

Then I'll just plank up and down from there. 

20180914_143425.jpg

Edited by dkuehn

Best is to use filler blocks at the bow

Regards, Patrick

At home now and looking on my computer (big screen) instead on my small smartphone.

If this is your first plank. Then you can get into trouble on your forecastle and maybe on  your rearcastle

On the Dusek drawings this plank stops on the forecastle and not on the bow. (Dusek drawing is from the dusek website)

image.png.c77a13d73f6d57c3b57102144a706641.png

ps

Nice planking on the stern

Regards, Patrick

Oeps

too late with my  advice

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

11 minutes ago, Backer said:

Oeps

too late with my  advice

I certainly appreciate the advice. I wish I would have noticed that earlier. I'll get it all planked anyway. I am not quite as concerned with perfection as some of the great modelers are here. If the planking lines/paths are not as they are supposed to be I'll not mind too much. 

The planking is slow going. The planks are 2mm x 3mm and difficult to work with. You really have to use heat to get them to bend to shape. I am used to soaking planks and then they are flexible enough to work with. These planks can soak for days and still break if you try to bend them around the bow. 

The poorly run planks are pretty obvious. I haven't totally decided what I'm going to do. If I paint it, like on the box, most of the planks are covered and won't show the incorrect plank lines, but there is enough to certainly be noticeable. Model Expo had a sale and I bought some boxwood strips, they arrive here tomorrow. I actually bought them without a specific use in mind, but now I'm thinking that I should use them on this ship to fix the run of the planks.  That is probably what I'll do, but I'm not 100% sure yet. 

Here is a picture from yesterday, I have added a few more planks since the picture. In my Model Expo order I have some other tools that will help me shape the top of the bulwarks, they are pretty deformed now, as I was planking in the wrong line, so ignore the random shape at the top. 

20180918_110423.jpg

Hi Chap,

Looking good as far as I can see.

Yup, there are stages in the Hull construction that look like crap, and, I'm sure others would agree.

There is no shame in Fillers Sanding and Staining....

Just work through it, if that helps....

(Yup, my builds are gathering "Digital Dust" but I'll get there soonish.)

Carry on the excellent work!! 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

17 hours ago, dkuehn said:

I was planking in the wrong line, so ignore the random shape at the top. 

No one would have noticed if you hadn't told us.

It looks fine to me.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Looking good, Good luck with the filling and sanding.

Regards, Patrick

I think this is a great idea 👍

Regards, Patrick