Bismark by kpnuts - Tamiya - 1/350

Hi all I got this last Xmas and although I don't get much modelling time these days I wanted to start it but as always with a difference I want to depict her during the battle as she's sinking and at the bottom of the sea, all at the same time.

I realise she didn't break up and apart from 35 meters of the stern is still in one piece on the bottom.

She landed practically on top of an undersea volcano which erupted and she slid down the side as the volcano erupted leaving her laying level on the seabed with her stern mostly covered.

My problem is do I play with the historical facts and cut her into 3 sections to depict what I want or is there a way of depicting the whole thing whist keeping her whole.

The underwater volcano didn't erupt and the back section sheared off as the Bismarck sank. When it got to the bottom, the ship hit the slopes of an underwater volcano like a ton of bricks and caused an underwater avalanche, then ended up digging a huge trench through the mud before coming to a rest well down the slope.

Not as fun I guess... but it's interesting that Bismarck ended up on the bottom more or less in one piece. All the other sunken WW2 battleships in deep water seem to be just heaps of unidentifiable wreckage. I suppose it's because they imploded as they sank but Bismarck was reportedly scuttled by her crew at the end to stop the Brit bombardment in the last battle.

Would love to see a well done Bissy wreck though... that would be a cool project!

Edited by channell

Hi all well I think I'm just going to go with the wreck dio ( will need a fair bit of scratch building but I'm up for it) 

As an interesting angle on size and shape look at this.

33xx1g5.jpg

sg7nsh.jpg

She was a tad bigger than the KGV but almost identical in shape.

Anyway made a start on painting her

2rm03dd.jpg

4fzkmr.jpg

Not going to go overboard with the painting as most of it won't be seen.

I must say I'm going to really enjoy this as I love doing rusty things (for those who don't know me i love doing cars and motorcycles, which I usually do with a fair bit of ware and tear)

As per this example.

2dqmueu.jpg

Hi all well got the hull painted, as I said I'm not too worried about the accuracy of the painting as most of it won't be seen when it's on the sea bed and yes I know the stern painting is a bit off but since that will be sheared off in the dio it won't be a problem, also another size comparison against the Titanic (which incidentally seems to be exactly the same length of the KGV although she was much higher makes me wonder were battleships given a low profile to make them harder to be seen.

1433vva.jpg

2ui7pz9.jpg

a9wsab.jpg

Hi all before risking the actual ship to my first attempts at an underwater dio I tried an experiment does this look convincing took me ages (well 15 mins) I'm quite happy with it.

I'm trying to get it to look like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bismarck+Wreck+images&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq66XgqK7dAhUqBsAKHYSJA_UQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=1024#imgdii=AsOOKmDJJz7KHM:&imgrc=jjP8_UgTvFSHiM:

33auw7t.jpg

30tqk55.jpg

wv493m.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

Hi all drilled out a couple of the big turrets bases and added the traversing gear to the inside of one of them (still got to deepen the shaft and add some internal detail)I'm only planing on making the base a little larger than the model, should I still add the missing turrets and other superstructure that came off even though they were found a long way from the wreck.

xnhpnq.jpg

2cy5csn.jpg

Encase anyone thinks I've stopped working on the KGV I've not it's just the part I'm working on now has 4 pompoms and the PE takes ages.

Just a question.

After post #2 all of the pictures on this build cannot be viewed on my browser. I normally use Chrome and don't have issues here or other locations on the web, but in this case the only way I can look at the pictures on this build is to switch to IE of all things! I am running Win 7. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Just a question.

After post #2 all of the pictures on this build cannot be viewed on my browser. I normally use Chrome and don't have issues here or other locations on the web, but in this case the only way I can look at the pictures on this build is to switch to IE of all things! I am running Win 7. 

Same  for me lou  I view using win 7 and firefox, but sofar have not seen any of these pictures that Kp posts,  I see them on the other forum he uses.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm running a Win10 computer and Firefox 62. I see all the photos fine.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It may be a windows 7 thing then. Not a big deal I suppose, as I can follow along by switching to IE for this build, Thanks for the replies I always worry that I am doing something wrong if I am the only one.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

It may be a windows 7 thing then. Not a big deal I suppose, as I can follow along by switching to IE for this build, Thanks for the replies I always worry that I am doing something wrong if I am the only one.

No lou,   I think we are the same using old school  systems.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Could be true OC.

I am intentionally holding off on Win 10 until I have to go over to the dark side. I already have to use it whenever I need to deal with something on my kids computers but I just can't find myself liking it for some reason. I also had the same problem using 7/Firefox so I think that pretty much limits the problem to something within my computer, or Win 7. I still find it odd that only the old outdated IE works in this case. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm using Win 7/Firefox, too, on this entry. You may need to update your "old, outdated" system.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

You may need to update your "old, outdated" system.

Hi Ken

I did a Win 7 update last night and the results are still the same, no pictures after post #2 I will have to see what happens when KP makes another post. I think there may also be an issue that the oldest outdated system in my house is ME!:stunned:

Jack,

XP? Wow you are almost dating back to the Neanderthal, or at least the Cro Magnon period. Do your kids laugh at you and give you sideways looks when they think you are not looking like mine do?:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Win7 and Chrome... same issues with not seeing the pictures.   Very strange.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Windows 10 and edge, no problems at all

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I'm sorry for all the problems I'm causing. I've not had a laptop or tower system for ages i only use my Samsung tab s2 or my phone an LG 5se (the absolute worst phone I ever had ) I don't get any reports of errors on other sites I'm on. I use tinypic for hosting the pics (used to use and loved imbue but stopped working for me)incidentally I loved xp the best operating system they ever had it all went down hill from then.

Hopefully people might be able to see this next update.

I had to drill out the lower deck to allow for the details I have to add as the turrets won't be there.

knqbk.jpg

And gave the decking it's first coat of paint

mkkchk.jpg

2ewd5sl.jpg

As you can see the traversing gear needs a bit of work 

Are you uploading them to MSW?  There's a "Drag files here to attach, or choose files" at the lower left hand side.   Hit "choose files".  Once in put the course where you want the picture.  Then use the left side of the thumbnail (high and hard to see) to insert the photo.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

KP

Still have to switch to IE to see the pictures but it is looking good.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hmm.. weird.  I'm seeing them also if I go to IE11 instead of Chrome.  OS is Win7.   Very strange and very slow to load the page.

Looking good now that I can see the pics but IE 11 loads all pages (not just this one) dead dog slow.   Need to wrap my head around this.  I'll also ask the Admins.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I just keep all my pic files in my windows picture viewer, and when I want to display them on here I just drag them into the box with my post.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

dead dog slow. 

Hi Mark

What I have been doing is copying the link at the top of the page here in Chrome, open IE, (Tell it that I DO NOT want it as my default browser) paste it in place in IE and hit "enter." As far as I know only this page opens. I leave the Chrome addition open as well as everything else works in Chrome and I just switch back when I am done with this post. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I'm sorry for all the problems I'm causing. I've not had a laptop or tower system for ages i only use my Samsung tab s2 or my phone an LG 5se (the absolute worst phone I ever had ) I don't get any reports of errors on other sites I'm on. I use tinypic for hosting the pics (used to use and loved imbue but stopped working for me)incidentally I loved xp the best operating system they ever had it all went down hill from then.

Hopefully people might be able to see this next update.

I had to drill out the lower deck to allow for the details I have to add as the turrets won't be there.

knqbk.jpg

And gave the decking it's first coat of paint

mkkchk.jpg

2ewd5sl.jpg

As you can see the traversing gear needs a bit of work 

Dont worry mate - not your fault,   we will get yours pics through some how.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Kp

No need to feel bad about the pictures. I think we have all found a way to follow your build by working our own work around's. Concentrate on your build and as Dubz says try and upload the pictures directly from your phone and the problem should go away at our end. I have no idea on how to upload pictures directly from a phone but I am sure you can do it.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey