Kevin

HMS Melampus 5th rate

good morning everyone

early days yet, and the research into this project can be measured in minutes so far

If i wanted to build the Melampus 5th rate 1785, in a scale 1/64 to 1/72, what would be a good donar kit, so far i have seen the Dianna Kit form Caldercraft is this the same sort of time scale/ looks, scratch building is out of the question,

idea has come from the Lennarth Petterson book- Rigging period ship models

Edited by Kevin

I have just spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour looking into your question, not an easy one. The Melampus (1785) was a 1 off, considered too small for her armament, which was subsequently reduced. The Diana, built 9 years later, was hence slightly larger; they were both 18pdr frigates. The length of keel of the Melampus was 117', the Diana 122'. Though if you did decide to use the Diana as the donar kit this could be overcome by reclassifying the scale. I do not know by how much the shapes of there hulls differed, you would have to compare plans. But really who would notice, depends how historically accurate you want to be. I would think the main visible difference would be in the armament and it should be easy to reposition/change gun ports etc. Similarly with other hull details.

I would say that if you do not want to scratch build and do not find anything better, then go for it.

How is HMS Fife progressing? I am enjoying that.

Glenn

43 minutes ago, glennreader said:

I have just spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour looking into your question, not an easy one. The Melampus (1785) was a 1 off, considered too small for her armament, which was subsequently reduced. The Diana, built 9 years later, was hence slightly larger; they were both 18pdr frigates. The length of keel of the Melampus was 117', the Diana 122'. Though if you did decide to use the Diana as the donar kit this could be overcome by reclassifying the scale. I do not know by how much the shapes of there hulls differed, you would have to compare plans. But really who would notice, depends how historically accurate you want to be. I would think the main visible difference would be in the armament and it should be easy to reposition/change gun ports etc. Similarly with other hull details.

I would say that if you do not want to scratch build and do not find anything better, then go for it.

How is HMS Fife progressing? I am enjoying that.

Glenn

Glenn good morning, thank you for your reply, lol everything keeps getting difficult, the book I was basing the melampus on is apparently not to be trusted, but would do the job,  the Dianna might be a good donar , but might need substantual adjustment I'm still looking into that, this is fun, 

Glenn in answer to your question the Fife is now in storage, as  i am not clever enough to work on more than one build at a time, the Victory has to be completed before i think about anything else, so possibly the Dianna if it is a suitable donar will be a crimbo pressie to myself

IMG_2865.JPG

Kevin,a glaring example of inaccuracy is on page 21 of Peterssons' book. He shows a double martingale/dolphin striker which only appeared from circa 1815 for a short time on English ships. In fact,the Melampus 1785 would not have had a single martingale/dolphin striker originally,this did not appear until after 1794 according to both Lees and Marquardt. I guess the model if it's contemporary was likely re-rigged at some later date.

Anyway have fun,remember it's the journey that counts,not so much the end product.

Dave :dancetl6:

Kevin,

Thanks for the picture of the Fife, she looks really good. I know what you mean by working on more than 1 model at a time. For me it just does not work, if I start something new the old one gets forgotten about.

Glenn

Hello Kevin,  The Petersson Book isn't terrible.  As Dave pointed out, there are some mistakes, but it is a nice simple rigging book.  Rigging should be cross checked with Steel or Lee for British rig and time span.  Happy Modelling- Hal

1 hour ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Hello Kevin,  The Petersson Book isn't terrible.  As Dave pointed out, there are some mistakes, but it is a nice simple rigging book.  Rigging should be cross checked with Steel or Lee for British rig and time span.  Happy Modelling- Hal

Good evening Hal, i have had some real useful messages from people on this site, and oviously the posts above, with the Book and other references available to my self and of couse the MSW population i am of the opinion that i can get a semi decent build using the Caldercraft Dianna kit, i have permission to get one BUT the Victory has to be completed, no if and buts this time

Edited by Kevin